Ross County vs Partick Thistle

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredibly, the BBC stats show Jags with more possession than County which either shows that stats are genuinely lies or the BBC employ numerical numbsculls. Despite the result I am more heartened by this display than any other so far this season. Although the Jags were far worse than I have seen in recent memory ( Erskine on the bench!) it was a more solid display from us than I anticipated. A shite goal to concede after a bright start made the heart sink but in truth we dominated throughout. A mixture of determined defending, crap finishing and sheer eyeballs out luck f**k deflections saved the Jags. Mind you, their sub keeper made an incredible save in the second half.

FWIW, I thought Draper was immense in the middle of the park and I can see why we pursued him. Criticism of others in earlier posts ( e.g. Fraser and Routis) is totally unfounded, our problem is lack of clinical finishing. Not seen the lad Edwards for PT before but he looks a player. Did I mention that Erskine was on the bench...

I'm not sure if I'm happy with a point saved or disappointed with two dropped.

Partick set out to smash and grab and although they didn't play well, they almost did it. We seem to have real issues with opponents changing tactics mid-game, we're very, very slow to effectively adapt as once Partick changed their shape we were on the back foot until half time and Routis and Draper got outnumbered and passed through like a dose of salts.

Last twenty was much better, even with us down to ten and then almost nine with DKD struggling after a forward burst.

Also, felt bad for the young lassie in the west stand who took a sore one in the face. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I must've been watching a different game to you then, Mikkelsen spent more time on his arse than attempting to win a header.

The only time he stayed on his feet the ref blew for a foul as well

31 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Why was Erskine dropped?
It's a complete minter from Archie wanting to shoe horn Sammon into the team. Get him to f**k. Go back to Doolan up front and what we did well last season.

I actually thought this was a clever move, it stopped Naismith bombing forward. First time he's come up against a player who outmatched him physically.

49 minutes ago, Comrie said:

4 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I actually thought this was a clever move, it stopped Naismith bombing forward. First time he's come up against a player who outmatched him physically.

We were on the back foot until half time 

I fear you are being serious. Erskine's role would involve stopping Naismith "bombing forward" and we were struggling in the first half? Help ma boab.

3 hours ago, Jayhawks said:

I fear you are being serious. Erskine's role would involve stopping Naismith "bombing forward" and we were struggling in the first half? Help ma boab.

dLfPsSw.png

Putting Conor Sammon on the left wing.

To be fair to Sammon I thought he put in a decent shift and I can appreciate why Archibald played him there. As stated previously he stopped Naismith getting forward. Erskine is now very much a central playmaker so he wouldn't have been an option. Also Lawless who tends to play that side of the pitch has been off the boil this season and would've lacked the physicality required for that role anyway, imo.
The other option would be Storey but he is metaphorically and yesterday literally still finding his feet...

Whilst that is typical bloody Thistle losing a goal that late on and every Jags fan is sick of it we have to realize that our first 6 games this season have been toughest of any team. Should we have a few points probably but I think we are still in a position to move onward with the next 6 fixtures and move up the table. If we lose matches versus Killie, Dundee, etc then I'll start showing concern. But as of right now we should be comfortable as this autumn progresses.

Archived