U21 Euro 2019 Qualifying

8 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

This is a 16 year old keeping seasoned pros like Don cowie out of the team.  They're not over reliant they're picking him cause he's better than the alternatives. 

Burn out is a fallacy he's 16 and can run all day and he's playing a game for the 17s anyway so what difference does it make if it's for the 19s or 21s.  If he wants to become a top player they play three times a week for 15 years he's going to have to get used to it.

I'd suggest the persistent hamstring injury Cowie has had this season is the reason he's not playing that much, tbqh

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Alex Ferguson previoulsy  quoted that he regretted "overplaying" the likes of Eric Black and John Hewitt at Aberdeen when they first hit the first team.

That of course is 30 odd years ago and I suspect sports science has moved on somewhat but Black in particular seemed to develop chronic injury problems that many put down to being overplayed at a relatively young age. Who`s to say it wouldn`t have happened anyway of course.

Dani alves has averaged over 50 games a season since he was 18.  That's the life of a top player, those are the requirements.  Ferguson clearly had no such concerns about Giggs.

3 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Alex Ferguson previoulsy  quoted that he regretted "overplaying" the likes of Eric Black and John Hewitt at Aberdeen when they first hit the first team.

That of course is 30 odd years ago and I suspect sports science has moved on somewhat but Black in particular seemed to develop chronic injury problems that many put down to being overplayed at a relatively young age. Who`s to say it wouldn`t have happened anyway of course.

Dani alves has averaged over 50 games a season since he was 18.  That's the life of a top player, those are the requirements.  Ferguson clearly had no such concerns about Giggs.

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I'd suggest the multiple times he's been on the bench when Cochrane was staring suggests otherwise 

How many times has that happened? Be specific. 

9 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I guess that confirms that many players can and do exactly as described by you. As I stated sports science and overall fitness is way better now and I suspect clubs(especially the top clubs) are much better at identifying if and when any player needs to be left out.

I don`t actually disagree with the point you are making  really just looking to contribute to the discussion.

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I guess that tells us that many players can and do exactly as described by you. As I stated sports science and overall fitness is way better now and I suspect clubs(especially the top clubs) are much better at identifying if and when any player needs to be left out.

I don`t actually disagree with the point you are making just really looking to contribute to the discussion.

Yeah also games are reffed better so less knocks and surfaces much better so less heavy.  Though obviously players are different.

22 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Google it champ

Well Cowies only been on the bench five times this season, and Cochrane hasn't started any of those ones.. 

17 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Wow you actually googled it. what a sad b*****d.

It takes two seconds m8, worth it to help emphasise how much shite you spout tbh

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It takes two seconds m8, worth it to help emphasise how much shite you spout tbh

30 games.  I doubt it. And it's irrelevant the point is the same, they're not picking a 16 year old through necessity they do have other players, he is obviously better than them.  Which is why he's getting picked.  Obviously beyond your understanding though.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

30 games.  I doubt it. And it's irrelevant the point is the same, they're not picking a 16 year old through necessity they do have other players, he is obviously better than them.  Which is why he's getting picked.  Obviously beyond your understanding though.

I'm not the one telling lies and calling people names, I only deal in facts. 

Ferguson left Giggs out on occasion between 92-98 to rest him. Not a lot but it did happen.

Also worth mentioning that Giggs pulled out of a LOT of friendly games for Wales and I’m sure this will have been at Ferguson’s suggestion. Fergie made it known he wasn’t a fan of international games.

Not saying this means players need to be rested right enough, it’s down to the player. As you’ve said Dani Alves hardly misses a game, neither does C.Ronaldo.

A good example of burnout is possibly James McCarthy. His career seems to have stagnated a bit although to be fair to him he got a couple of injuries and is stuck at Everton.

Archived