Results and goal difference with 6th placed teams

ChrisMFCfan1886

Couldn't find a suitable thread for this so I'll just start a new one. Obviously results v sixth placed teams are not included in the final standings, but does this also mean that goals scored/conceded against them are removed too? It would certainly be a big help for Scotland if they are because I have a feeling Slovakia will thrash them in the last game.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 minutes ago, ChrisMFCfan1886 said:

Couldn't find a suitable thread for this so I'll just start a new one. Obviously results v sixth placed teams are not included in the final standings, but does this also mean that goals scored/conceded against them are removed too? It would certainly be a big help for Scotland if they are because I have a feeling Slovakia will thrash them in the last game.

Results v the bottom side are included in the final standings, they just aren't taken into consideration for determining the worst 2nd placed team. Same applies to goal difference v the bottom side. 

Won't matter a jot if we beat Slovakia and Slovenia. 20 points(14 points) will be just fine for one of 8 play off spots

Goal difference does count in the 2nd place table however so if Scotland did end up 2nd with 14 points it is likely they would have the worst goal difference of all the 2nd place sides thanks to the humpings received by Slovakia and England earlier in the campaign.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Won't matter a jot if we beat Slovakia and Slovenia. 20 points(14 points) will be just fine for one of 8 play off spots

Is it definite?

Bosnia beating Belgium H and Estonia A should put them on 14pts +4 (or better). Wales beating Georgia A and Eire H should put them on 14pts +3 (or better). Denmark or Montenegro will at worst end-up on 14pts +7/+4 (or better) respectively if they drew then either beats Romania H or Poland A respectively.

We would finish on 14pts +-0 (or better).

Looks like we're relying on Belgium and Georgia/Eire.

Our goal difference (-2) is bad and all the groups can get two teams to 20 pts but there are some tricky matches left for some

Group A: Sweden will need at least a point in Holland

Group C: Northern Ireland aren't guaranteed 20 points with Germany (H) and Norway (A). Probably need a point in Norway.

Group D: Wales need 2 wins Georgia (A) and Ireland (H). 

Group E: If Montenegro beat Denmark (H) they will need a point against top side Poland (A). If Denmark beat Montenegro they will need a point against Romania (H). If Denmark and Montenegro draw then a win in their final games will put both of them on 20 points

Group H: Bosnia need 2 wins Belgium (H) and Estonia (A)

Group I: Especially tight. I expect at least 2 teams will make 20 points, however Turkey are on -1 GD. If they beat Iceland (H) and Finland (A) by single goals there is a chance Scotland could pip them on goal difference or even goals scored. If Ukraine beat Croatia by 1 goal they will finish with 20 pts and +2 GD which Scotland have a chance of overhauling.

So plenty of possibilities out there.

And remember, we only need one of them to be worse than us.  It's not guaranteed, but I'd be pretty confident of finishing ahead of at least 1 of them if we make it to 14 points.  Probably Bosnia, as it looks very unlikely that they'll pick up those 2 wins.

9 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Unfortunate to think that most second place possibles in other groups will be looking at us and thinking were quite likely to drop points

Absolutely.  Although they probably aren't even looking at us at all, it'll be Slovakia they'll be looking at.  With a huge match against us, and then finishing up against Malta, most people who aren't biased towards Scotland would surely see them as favourites.  Fine by me.

But it would be most pleasing if in one fell swoop we could see Ireland fail to reach 2nd place (lol) then pip Wales to a playoff spot (lolol).  I wouldn't be against beating Poland or Wales in a playoff if comes to it, exorcise some painful memories.

51 minutes ago, forameus said:

Absolutely.  Although they probably aren't even looking at us at all, it'll be Slovakia they'll be looking at.  With a huge match against us, and then finishing up against Malta, most people who aren't biased towards Scotland would surely see them as favourites.  Fine by me.

But it would be most pleasing if in one fell swoop we could see Ireland fail to reach 2nd place (lol) then pip Wales to a playoff spot (lolol).  I wouldn't be against beating Poland or Wales in a playoff if comes to it, exorcise some painful memories.

Ha - very good point re the outside perspective. Most will be looking at their two fixtures and thinking they're tricky for the Slovaks but winnable.

Wales in a playoff makes me feel a little sick, simply because I think we could beat them were it not for their magic Bale button. He can destroy teams with a flash of inspiration. It'd be crap to see us heroically make it into the playoffs only to match Wales over two legs but be undone by a freakishly strong/fast/good player like Bale.

And then take the nordies out in the play offs.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Ha - very good point re the outside perspective. Most will be looking at their two fixtures and thinking they're tricky for the Slovaks but winnable.

Wales in a playoff makes me feel a little sick, simply because I think we could beat them were it not for their magic Bale button. He can destroy teams with a flash of inspiration. It'd be crap to see us heroically make it into the playoffs only to match Wales over two legs but be undone by a freakishly strong/fast/good player like Bale.

Bale or no Bale - Wales are average. Give me them in the play offs any day.

Archived