Tartan Army Message Board closing down

Lurkst

Occasionally dropped into TAMB to check the seethe levels over Matt Ritchie, Chris Martin, Russell Martin, and all the other English-born CV whores usurping the rightful places of noble Scots-born bravehearts. Seethe levels oscillated between high and stratospheric. To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, the TAMB ran the gamut of blinkered parochialism from A to B.

Was quite intrigued to read a post on TAMB recently. On the subject of the Scotland Under-16 match v Uruguay at Oriam on 29th July, 'Glasgow Jock' (698 posts) posted this insight on 4th Aug:

Some lovely touches by Dembele: one memorable moment when he brought down a long ball with the deftest of touches and immediately flicked it on to a team mate demonstrated a level of skill rarely seen from a Scottish player at this, or indeed any, age group. He has the ability to ghost past players as if they're not there. I'd say there were a few other players in the team who caught the eye just as much. The right back, Kane Patterson of Spurs, was excellent, another who was technically very good and comfortable on the ball. And, it's not often you say this, but another player who really stood out for Scotland was Forrest of Celtic - Dylan Forrest. Tenacious midfield player, similar in style to Scott Brown, but a very decent footballer too. Promising signs thoughout the team. 

Sounded spookily similar to my reaction, posted on P&B (Black Scottish Footballers thread):

On 29/07/2017 at 16:33, Frankie S said:

Was at the 2-0 win against Uruguay this afternoon. Some lovely touches by Dembele: one memorable moment when he brought down a long ball with the deftest of touches and immediately flicked it on to a team mate demonstrated a level of skill rarely seen from a Scottish player at this, or indeed any, age group. He has the ability to ghost past players as if they're not there. I'd say there were a few other players in the team who caught the eye just as much. The right back, Kane Patterson of Spurs, was excellent, another who was technically very good and comfortable on the ball. And, it's not often you say this, but another player who really stood out for Scotland was Forrest of Celtic - Dylan Forrest. Tenacious midfield player, similar in style to Scott Brown, but a very decent footballer too. Promising signs thoughout the team. 

Now, I'm not from Glasgow, and have never styled myself 'Jock', online or otherwise, so was intrigued to see that his take on the game so closely mirrored my own :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Occasionally dropped into TAMB to check the seethe levels over Matt Ritchie, Chris Martin, Russell Martin, and all the other English-born CV whores usurping the rightful places of noble Scots-born bravehearts. Seethe levels oscillated between high and stratospheric. To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, the TAMB ran the gamut of blinkered parochialism from A to B.

Was quite intrigued to read a post on TAMB recently. On the subject of the Scotland Under-16 match v Uruguay at Oriam on 29th July, 'Glasgow Jock' (698 posts) posted this insight on 4th Aug:

Sounded spookily similar to my reaction, posted on P&B (Black Scottish Footballers thread):

Now, I'm not from Glasgow, and have never styled myself 'Jock', online or otherwise, so was intrigued to see that his take on the game so closely mirrored my own :lol:

You're fooling nobody, Jock.

I'm expecting Blutes to get a wee bit of support from the other introverted shortbread tins from TAMB, resulting in some kind of Survivor Series match on the Hampden pitch at half time of the Slovakia game.  Expect run-ins from Matt Phillips and Chris Martin* 

* I say "run", but...you know

22 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Random question: when was the TA board established, and PnB for that matter?

I'm guessing post-1998. If so it's sad to think the TA board was born, lived and died without ever having a tournament to talk about.

It was originally set up as Ezzy s board just to get details of matches, places to meet etc. around 1999 as certain clubs had their own message boards set up but no Scotland one.

It was  Ezzy who owned the domain  www.tartanarmyboard.co.uk eventually signing it over to someone else due to time factors and it's growing popularity  that the TAMB was formed. 

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:39, ICTChris said:

Hopefully the closure of the TAMB marks the end of the back-slapping and celebration of failure that the Tartan Army stand for.

Interesting, in 20 years of following Scotland home and away, I've never encountered "back-slapping and celebration of failure", maybe it was always in the pub next door and I missed it.

On 15/09/2017 at 16:23, Burnie_man said:

Interesting, in 20 years of following Scotland home and away, I've never encountered "back-slapping and celebration of failure", maybe it was always in the pub next door and I missed it.

Or perhaps it's just the twisted perception of folk who don't go to the games and assume that because your life isn't ruined by a football result, you don't care. 

Having been at every competitive home match in the last 15 years I can personally attest to nobody celebrating failure, ever. It's an utterly stupid thing to say. 

On 19/09/2017 at 00:09, Renfrewblue said:

Or perhaps it's just the twisted perception of folk who don't go to the games and assume that because your life isn't ruined by a football result, you don't care. 

Having been at every competitive home match in the last 15 years I can personally attest to nobody celebrating failure, ever. It's an utterly stupid thing to say. 

You're blinkered then. Tartan army love a glorious failure. 

Been a member on the TAMB for 10 years, and here for quite a few years as well - all forums have tubes and special posters, including here... I particular avoided the club fitba parts of the forum because the main amount of idiots seemed to hang out there.

Have to say though the TAMB was, and still is, a fantastic resource particularly for anyone looking abroad for Scotland games, especially if travelling yourself. It was easy to find out best areas to book hotels, how folk were travelling too and from the match etc.

the amount of stuff that has been organised on the TAMB is incredible - none more so than the charity stuff. As well as that, I mind going over to Japan in 2009 and joining in a day trip out around some temples and up Mount Fuji which Colin in Tokyo had arranged all through the board - we ran buses for 550 folk from Munich to Liechtenstein back in 2011 all co-ordinated through the TAMB.

Will be sadly missed!

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:23, Burnie_man said:

Same, never understood where its came from. Been to 20+ away games over the years and getting beat undoubtedly puts a downer on it, Georgia away being particularly annoying.

On 20/09/2017 at 12:15, the snudge said:

You're blinkered then. Tartan army love a glorious failure. 

This is an enormous cliche though.  There's a middle ground between "loving glorious failure" and spiralling into depression after every defeat, thus ruining your holiday in the process.  The "love glorious failure" thing suggests that travelling Scotland fans couldn't care less whether their team want to do well, which is patently nonsense.  Every one of those people who travels to an away game would love nothing more than for their to be no glorious failures ever.  They want Scotland to win.

The choice of Hungarian, Icelandic or Northern Irish supporters as an example is an odd one, because the fans of those countries enjoyed themselves in a very similar way to what the Scotland support would have done.  They travelled in great numbers in hope rather than expectation, and created a mainly positive atmosphere within the cities they visited.  If Scotland had qualified for the Euros, I have little doubt that our supporters would have done the exact same sort of thing.

Archived