Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

2 minutes ago, Todders said:

Aye, you should always seek the permission of others before exercising your right to self-determination.

This "right to self determination" bollocks gets right on my tits, there's no such thing. You either gain it by negotiation, legal and democratic means or you seize it by force.  

This "right to self determination" bollocks gets right on my tits, there's no such thing. You either gain it by negotiation, legal and democratic means or you seize it by force.  

Bullshit, Spain have made it very clear that there's no negotiation. They should now just go home and put up with it because the Madrid elite said so ? I think the Catelonians will unilaterally declare independence based on a non binding vote and if the no voters don't want to add to the numbers then that's their problem. Its not like the UK. Catalonia is by far and away the richest region in Spain and the Spanish government knows they'll lose a legitimate referendum based on peaceful debate. Wouldn't even be close.

So, as Spain are unwilling to countenance any negotiation, seizing power by force is the only option?

Yes, that's definitely a better option than just acting like a democracy and allowing a referendum to take place...

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Welshbairn defending Spanish unionism - shock horror . .

Because I support Scottish Independence doesn't mean I have to support every global territory with a financial advantage over their neighbours.

4 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Well you wouldn't unilaterally declare independence after winning a binding referendum would you ? You already know this though.....walloper emoji23.png

I honestly don't understand your point. Time for bed.

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Democracies rely on institutions, constitutions and the rule of law to function. If Catalonians want a referendum on independence they have to persuade the rest of Spain to allow it. Same as happened for Scotland. 

Democracies rely on the acceptance of a fiction of representational governance by a willing population.  Democracy is not a hard and fast term, neither are constitutions or laws.

Laws become outdated and are challenged by protest, the enlightening of a populace (or an individual) and constitutions are added to and subtracted from continuously.

The want, or need, to self-govern or independence is a consistent challenge, one that has become more and more "normal" through the breakup of political unions and empires throughout the the last few centuries, to the constitutions and subjugating laws of old.

Holding a poll for whether Catalonians want a referendum on independence or not would be the way to go imo. If they got a positive result it would be much more difficult for the rest of Spain to rule it out.

The Catalan Government was elected almost exclusively on a mandate to hold the vote as part of a coalition. That not enough?