Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

To bring it back to more parochial matters the contortions uber unionists have to perform to support riot police beating up voters are truly astounding work.

Also Ruth Davidson is an utter shit. Although her comments managing to get a bit of SNP bad in show how she will never be able to move beyond her ultra yoon base.

Nicola Sturgeon and Kezia Dugdale hitting the exact correct note.

Corbyn does his usual hiding act.

Fantastic statement from Las Palmas. I hope Indy Ref 2 happens on a Sunday in the offchance Rangers play at the same time:

History has once again placed the Las Palmas Sports Union in an exceptional situation at the Camp Nou. On October 30, 1977, he visited FC Barcelona on the day that an excited Josep Tarradellas first presided over the box after his exile and a monumental sixty meter senyera was displayed on the grass.

Today the UD Las Palmas pays a visit to an unprecedented date for our country, the day that the Catalan Government set for a referendum outside the Spanish legal framework, with the force that has the international echo of everything that happens in the Camp Nou. Public pronouncements in the previous days, especially that of our host, FC Barcelona, have made this official match of the Santander League something more than a sporting event in compliance with the calendar.

The UD Las Palmas could have been limited to being silent witness of this historical crossroads or to take sides. We settle for the second. We decided to embroider in our T-shirt a small Spanish flag and today's date, October 1, 2017, to testify without strings our hope in the future of this country and in the goodwill of those who live in it, in search of the best understanding. No matter how far away is the Gran Canaria Stadium, we have never felt the least temptation to be part of a country other than this. And however complex the situation may be, we will always rely on simplifying it to better understand and find solutions.

Today, what we do is very simple. With the Spanish flag embroidered in our equipment we want to vote unequivocally in an imaginary consultation that nobody has summoned us: we believe in the unity of Spain. We do it from the moral authority that you want to grant to the region farthest from the capital of this kingdom. We do it to tell the world that we feel pain for what is happening. We do this by trusting that no one will bother this gesture. As we never bothered to see you waving in the stands, stretched out on the grass or wrapping our rivals' bodies, once the match is over, they are compatriots who fill us with pride when they are part of one of the best teams in the world, or of one of the best selections of the planet.

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Fantastic statement from Las Palmas. I hope Indy Ref 2 happens on a Sunday in the offchance Rangers play at the same time:

I'm always amazed at how politicised football can become. Wouldn't be shocked to see football clubs replace political parties in the future :lol:

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

As long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under Spanish rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself".

OYF

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

As long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under Spanish rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself".

Why don't you join your comrades, with any luck you will give up life itself and spare the rest of us your tedious, pretentious shit.

Barcelona - Las Palmas to be played behind closed doors

FC Barcelona has announced their La Liga clash with Las Palmas will be played behind closed doors.

In a statement, the Catalan club said: “FC Barcelona condemn the events which have taken place in many parts of Catalonia today in order to prevent its citizens exercising their democractic rights to free expression.

“Given the exceptional nature of events, the Board of Directors have decided that the FC Barcelona first team game against Las Palmas will be played behind closed doors following the Professional Football League’s refusal to postpone the game.”

The Catalan Football Federation had already suspended all matches due to referendum, but FC Barcelona are not under their jurisdiction.

Earlier today, Las Palmas announced a Spanish flag had been sewn onto their kit for the game to show support for “the unity of Spain”.

8 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I'll be surprised if this show of force from the Spanish Government doesn't work perfectly without any negative repercussions towards support for their union tbh.  

I don't think they could have messed it up more had they tried.

I haven't really been following this and the intricacies of calling for and holding the referendum are beyond me, and I have no knowledge of the Spanish Constitition and system of government, but it seems a complete over reaction.