Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

If only there were some way of actually finding out what the people of Catalonia want? I mean, people on the internet telling other people on the internet what they want is great but there must be some more objective way of finding out?

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Why do you think they have sent the troops in, Madrid knows how they will vote?

Madrid is stupid, they'll make people who would have voted No switch to Yes.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

No.

47% for pro-referendum parties, 53% against. Bigger margin than Brexit.

Spain have lost big time. Scenes of Franco's paramilitary police enforcing one of Franco's laws by beating up old women and other peaceful protestors have sullied Madrid irredeemably.

Kudos to Catalan firefighters and police who are protecting unarmed civilians against Madrid's violence.

And, shame on Corbyn and Labour for refusing to speak out against this until this afternoon.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Sit in the hoose and watch barca or go out and get hit with a baton to vote nice choice?

So if you were in your Catalan family home at the moment, that's what you would be doing rather than your post below. Good for you, Mr No pasarán

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

As long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under Spanish rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself".

And, shame on Corbyn and Labour for refusing to speak out against this until this afternoon.

That's your takeaway from this?

Watching the videos of anti-referendum protestors is eye opening, I know so little about Spanish politics but physically preventing people from voting, using police violence to do so, is nothing short of frightening. For those better informed than I why are they doing this? If the referendum is unconstitutional and they want to go down the road of not allowing the Catalans the chance to vote, why not ignore it, refuse to recognise it and quietly suggest to unionists that they shouldn't vote? It would be easy to dismiss a referendum which clearly isn't representative of the views and it would make the referendum a farce. Instead they've given the world a glimpse of terror and if I were a soft-no supporter in Catalonia I would be firmly pro-Indy then and there. It's absolutely fucked up. Bad enough not giving them a referendum (if they think this one is flawed, work with the Catalan government to crests one that isn't) but if they are determined not to have it why react to it like this? It's fucking mental.