Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

9 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Tragic stuff if that quote is accurate. The UK is quite fond of talking up referendums and self determination when it comes to planting folk on bits of rock that they want. Not such a big issue for them here for some reason.

It's taken from this  

But the British Foreign Office gave tentative backing to the Spanish Government's position.

A spokesperson said: "The referendum is a matter for the Spanish Government and People. We want to see Spanish law and the Spanish constitution respected and the rule of law upheld.

"Spain is a close ally and a good friend, whose strength and unity matters to us."  

http://news.sky.com/story/catalonia-independence-vote-spanish-foreign-minister-says-police-violence-not-extraordinary-11063534

13 minutes ago, Crossbill said:

Really important question, and one that I'm afraid Scotland may run up against in the not to distant future.  The only reason we got the Edinburgh agreement was because Westminster was so cocksure about winning.

No would have won the Catalonia referendum comfortably, in all likelihood, had Rajoy called it. Wouldn't surprise me if independence is declared in the next few days now, purely due to the Spanish police assaulting voters.

Not sure what Kosovo are thinking.

Serbian foreign minister Ivica Dacic:

Our position is clear and principled, Spain is one of the greatest friends of Serbia”.

“[Madrid] is in the same position on the issue of the territorial integrity of Serbia.

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Don’t really see what the Spanish have done wrong here? They told them not to do it “or else” and they went ahead and did it anyway.

Your inability to see what's wrong is your problem.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

"Dont do it or we will beat up the grannies "

:(

46 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'm shooting from the hip here, but Catalonia going down the route of exhausting all other peaceful options (potentially before taking the nuclear option of a unilateral declaration of independence) should only make Catalan independence more likely than not; the reaction to this referendum should really show the people of Catalonia exactly what the Spanish state stands for, what with their heavy-handed and rather ham-fisted approach to this. I'd like to think that this shit-show will have driven any undecided's and maybe even a sizeable chunk of Spanish nationalists over to Yes.

All correct.  Either the people of Catalonia take this action or sit quietly in the corner.

I'm a bit surprised by the condemnation on here of the UK government's statement.  I would have been astounded if they had said anything different.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

:(

All correct.  Either the people of Catalonia take this action or sit quietly in the corner.

I'm a bit surprised by the condemnation on here of the UK government's statement.  I would have been astounded if they had said anything different.

They could have tagged on something about being disappointed by the violence, but wording it in such a way that both sides could be blamed. I'm sure there must be somebody in the civil service clever enough to concoct such a statement.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

They could have tagged on something about being disappointed by the violence, but wording it in such a way that both sides could be blamed. I'm sure there must be somebody in the civil service clever enough to concoct such a statement.

:lol:  Too busy getting us a great Brecit deal,

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

3 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Spanish grannies good NO voting Scottish grannies BAD and need to die in a harsh winter.Such double standards.Tsk tsk...

That's why the Illuminati called the last big culling the Spanish Flu, you idiot.