Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

Hmmmm..... I was being ironic chief........but what a gesture of support it would be for the non shitebag folk of a fellow pretendy (although soon not to be) country.

The world is gonna have to eventually recognise catalunya. It would be to our credit of we are first, even if it is unofficial.

Well, no, not really.  If it comes to that,  it will take another legitimate referendum to do that.  If the Spanish government had any sense, they'd have let the referendum go ahead and just ignored the results, given the illegality of it.  Instead, they recognised it and gave the voters a kicking, and now it's an awful lot harder to simply ignore, even if virtually every no voter stayed away.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Well, no, not really.  If it comes to that,  it will take another legitimate referendum to do that.  If the Spanish government had any sense, they'd have let the referendum go ahead and just ignored the results, given the illegality of it.  Instead, they recognised it and gave the voters a kicking, and now it's an awful lot harder to simply ignore, even if virtually every no voter stayed away.

Actually yes really. 

The Catalans may well now declare UDI. If so who can blame them and they have the moral authority.

Madrid cannot send in the tanks so Spains last card to play is that they consent to holding a "legal" referendum. They may well still play it. They will lose.

After yesterday, independence is the inevitable outcome.

Personally think the only way Spain can move forward now is to give the catalonian people the most powerful devolved parliament the world has seen.

Do they have a retired gordon brown type equivalent they can get to offer it?

Maybe scoop Franco's skeleton out the dirt

6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Personally think the only way Spain can move forward now is to give the catalonian people the most powerful devolved parliament the world has seen.

I don't think they'd like the Edinburgh weather.

Actually yes really. 
The Catalans may well now declare UDI. If so who can blame them and they have the moral authority.
Madrid cannot send in the tanks so Spains last card to play is that they consent to holding a "legal" referendum. They may well still play it. They will lose.
After yesterday, independence is the inevitable outcome.

Stop. Please stop. You aren’t a constitutional lawyer and Pie and Bovril doesn’t give you a platform to pretend you are. Safe to say, you cannot form a state based on nebulous concepts of moral authority.

I think you are interpreting it the way you want it to be, not how it actually is.

UDI is the new “quisling” or “white knighting” of this forum.

Now hiring......
Hasbeen Catalan leftwing leaders........
must be willing to sell out own country.........
must be capabaple of extreme duplicity and providing empty vows capable of fooling a gullable populace
Prospective applicant to submit CV to Spanish Interior dept

That's very familiar.... Was that on a newspaper a couple of years ago?

Now hiring......

Hasbeen Catalan leftwing leaders........

must be willing to sell out own country.........

must be capabaple of extreme duplicity and providing empty vows capable of fooling a gullable populace

Prospective applicant to submit CV to Spanish Interior dept

Leftwing leaders????

On a seriousness note Brown would get his melt booted in by the catalonian pensioners

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Stop. Please stop. You aren’t a constitutional lawyer and Pie and Bovril doesn’t give you a platform to pretend you are. Safe to say, you cannot form a state based on nebulous concepts of moral authority.

I think you are interpreting it the way you want it to be, not how it actually is.

UDI is the new “quisling” or “white knighting” of this forum.

What a daft post.

It is the Catalans themselves who are talking about declaring independence.

Nothing you or I argue about on this forum is gonna stop that.

33 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Aye. They need to make a vow and they need to do it now. Vows are the answer here.

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That’s quite clearly not the point I was making.

I'm not quite sure on the point you were making.

If your point is that its a messy situation thats going to take a lot of constitutional wrangling to sort out then I certainly agree.

However that is where all new nations start.

32 minutes ago, McQuade said:

What will the EU do if they declare independence?

They would need to admit them membership, or end up with an Irish border type scenario x100.

I can only see this helping us getting independence

How exactly? It's dead as a dodo. 

We will enter the great unknown if Catalonia declares UDI.  Won't be an easy process if they do, but if they are successful, then it will render Westminster powerless if Scotland wanted to hold indyref2. 

Don't get me wrong, it's better to have a legally binding referendum, but the threat of not agreeing one at Westminster would be non-existent.