Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

14 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

That's your takeaway from this?

Watching the videos of anti-referendum protestors is eye opening, I know so little about Spanish politics but physically preventing people from voting, using police violence to do so, is nothing short of frightening. For those better informed than I why are they doing this? If the referendum is unconstitutional and they want to go down the road of not allowing the Catalans the chance to vote, why not ignore it, refuse to recognise it and quietly suggest to unionists that they shouldn't vote? It would be easy to dismiss a referendum which clearly isn't representative of the views and it would make the referendum a farce. Instead they've given the world a glimpse of terror and if I were a soft-no supporter in Catalonia I would be firmly pro-Indy then and there. It's absolutely fucked up. Bad enough not giving them a referendum (if they think this one is flawed, work with the Catalan government to crests one that isn't) but if they are determined not to have it why react to it like this? It's fucking mental.

I like Spain and can speak their language to a fair level. I've no strong feelings either way though think that if the Catalans and Basques want a democratic referendum on independence they should get one. It's much better than the violence we saw from ETA years ago.

That said, I favour devolving power as much as possible and tend to sympathise with small nations over those big, former colonial powers.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

'What do you do at work today daddy ?'

'Well son, I put on a balaclava and my protective riot gear and beat the shit out of little old ladies on their way to vote'

We'd be independent with no talk of Brexit  if they'd done that over here, tbf.

Just now, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The UK government finally gets round to commentating on the situation....

uk.jpg.bd497fbca5ca2ccc3d1974155dca07db.jpg

You must have posted the wrong statement,  where is the bit about how abhorrent it is to see innocent people being beaten up by Military etc

Bclosing down 319 polling stations Madrid has managed to make the results more valid, not less. Mariano Rajoy is a numpty. Pressure will be unstoppable for a full and legal referendum now. Doubt if he'll survive long anyway with this and all the corruption scandals. Before I think a majority would have voted for a devomax/federal system. Now that's probably off the table.

Catalan police and firefighters openly defying their Spanish counterparts in the streets. Spain have absolutely Hibsed this

Have they though? It's an utter disgrace what has happened but what do they do next? The EU so far has shown them no support. Britain has come out in support of Spain.
What can they do? Strike? Resort to violence?