Queens v Morton

No, m8. #nom8
He gave a series of ridiculous decisions against both teams because he was fucking useless and that throw didn't go anywhere near rebounding back off Doyle.
When both sets of fans are sarcastically cheering every freekick they get you know a referee is hopeless and fucking both teams over.

Ref tossed a coin to decide every decision joke of an official.
Goal of the season contender with second
Queens maybe worth a draw on second half but no complaints

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it that was Jim Duffy's brother refereeing today? Two peas in a pod and 90% of the decisions going Morton's way. Not a minute added for the extreme time wasting carried out by Morton.  Hope there was somebody marking that ref performance today. A plucky performance from Queens 10 men (you can't count Kane, for a supposed "striker" his finishing is crap).

Thought Morton were by far the better team in the first half, apart from a 10-15 minute spell at the start. We started the second half quite well until the substitutions and were quite poor after that. Only looked like scoring from Dobbie's free-kick and the decision which gave us a throw. Huffed and puffed but created next to nothing.

McFadden looks done. Maybe his fitness will improve, but I seriously doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

And yet, through the tears I still managed to see the deflection off Doyle.

As long as you managed to see your team getting sworded by the full length of the Jai Quitongo boaby. That's what really counts.

As long as you managed to see your team getting sworded by the full length of the Jai Quitongo boaby. That's what really counts.

He did exceptionally well for both goals but was pretty quiet other than that, which was lucky for us. Feel like Morton need to find a way to get him more involved if they're going to have a good season.

I thought Kane put in an excellent shift and it was the wrong move hooking him. Yes his finishing wasn't quite there and his use of the ball could have been better at times but imo he was giving their defence a torrid time with his energy, running in behind and carrying the ball up the pitch. We sorely missed him when he went off

8 hours ago, football maniac said:

I thought Kane put in an excellent shift and it was the wrong move hooking him. Yes his finishing wasn't quite there and his use of the ball could have been better at times but imo he was giving their defence a torrid time with his energy, running in behind and carrying the ball up the pitch. We sorely missed him when he went off

Bit of a drawback if you're supposed to be a "striker" I'd have thought.

Thought we thoroughly deserved a point especially on chances created. As others have said the substitutions seriously weakened us - we were totally dominating the second half and our midfield were running the game at that point. My original view was that McFadden was finished at this level and sadly that looks to be the case. To justify the signing I suspect that he will get more game time than others with more deserving cases. We missed a huge trick by not signing a playmaker in midfield but the effort and commitment today was first class and players gave everything. A hugely frustrating result - can't keep losing these games to major play off rivals especially at home. By losing that we have to get results at Paisley and/or Inverness or face the prospect of our great start evaporating.

On the goalkeeping front is Alan Martin fully fit now? I suspect the answer to that question is no or I might be worried.

The phrase "game management" is very popular with managers at the moment, and yesterday was an example of it being carried out very well by Morton.  We had the best of the first 15 minutes and the entire second half but Morton still managed to see the game out in relative comfort.  They scored their goals at good times in the game and then just happily saw it out.  Very frustrating from our point of view.  We resorted to desperation punts forward far too early.  We played as if it was the last 5 minutes for the last 35.

I'm going to lay some of the blame at Naysmith's door for this one.  We all said it pre-match.  If you are going to play that formation you need your full-backs to get forward.  Fordyce tried but lacked quality despite getting into some good areas.  He is very much a centre-half playing right back.  Very frustrating with two right-backs on the bench, and even more so when his partnership with Brownlie was looking so solid.  We've started leaking goals since Naysmith started dicking about with the defence.  Kerr looked very nervous in the first half.  Back to Fordyce and Brownlie next week please.  What makes it even worse is that both goals came from our right-hand side, with Quitongo showing Fordyce a clean pair of heels for the first.  Presumably the logic was that Fordyce would offer us more defensive protection than Rooney, which perhaps he would have.  In the end it still wasn't enough, and we lost out on an attacking option down that side.  I'm all for trying to nullify the opposition's threats, but in home games I'd prefer we concentrated on playing to our own strengths.

Other notable things worth mentioned:

• Dobbies' freekick was very unlucky (the first one, not the one near the end!).
  • Kane's run would have been an absolutely cracking goal had he not fluffed his shot.  Sums up his time with us so far.  He got up well for a header in the second half as well.  Definitely worth persevering with as he is the perfect foil for Dobbie and Lyle.
  • Tapping was woeful and Jacobs probably had his worst game for us.  He's almost as good at giving it away as he is at winning it back!
  • Harkin's is the white, bald, Scottish equivalent of Marouane Fellaini.  I've no idea how he escaped without a booking for persistent fouling.  Bossed the game though, as he usually does against us.
  • As already pointed out, woefully inept showing from the referee.  Despite having nothing much to do he still got it all wrong.  Spoiled the flow of the second half by constantly giving free kicks for minor niggles.  It played into Morton's hands a bit as they ran down the clock.
  • Nice to see a big away support down at Palmerston, something that will be a rare sight this season.

If we want to make a serious push for the playoffs we need a better return of one point from games like this and Livingston last week.  However on the overall scheme of things I'm not too downhearted as it was a decent enough performance.  It does however put a bit of pressure on the next few away games as we can't afford to go multiple games without a win like last season.

16 hours ago, Mr X said:

Pretty even game that Queens probably just about shaded in terms of possession and chances, so a draw would probably have been a fair result. However, you cant really argue about losing to a goal like that!

Special mention for the referee who was absolutely dire <_<

fair comment for about 75 mins as we played your punt and run stuff. But between the  5 and 15 minutes Jai played you off the park as we kept the ball on the ground and passed you off the park. Nearly got an equaliser after that arse masquerading as a ref gave you a shy off Doyle ( Gats save from Lyle) and a free which Dobbie converted for a thee pointer. 

PS Sorry if comments are and late or made previously but all due to Div and black and white site melt down. 

Not much to say that hasn't already been said, largely by both sets of fans. Doesn't seem to be much disagreement.

Match should probably have been a draw, was reasonably entertaining without being outstanding, but Jai Quitongo was the difference. The run to set up the opener was terrific pace that exposed Fordyce horribly (though I'm not remotely convinced he wouldn't have done the same to Rooney as McMullan was doing before his red card at Tannadice). We should have cleared the cut back properly before it reached Forbes though. Regardless, it all paled into insignificance at the quality of the second. I don't care how far out it actually was, he hit it like an Exocet and it went in off the underside of the bar into the top corner. Absolutely unstoppable and fit to win any game.

Suspect if Morton had consolidated at 2-0 we'd have had a hard time getting back into it but we got one within about 30 seconds and thereafter probably had the better of the game. Kane should have scored twice, once on the end of "that" run and once with a close range header. Dobbie was genuinely unlucky and Gaston really fortunate with the first free kick and it was a great save from Gaston on the Lyle header from "that" throw in. It looked a Morton throw to me but perhaps there was a double deflection?:unsure2:

Thought Harkins was a wee bit lucky with a two footed challenge near the dugouts second half. He didn't make a lot of contact but it was dangerous and another day it's a red card. He looked MUCH better than he did for Ayr last season though and was a fairly constant threat.

Frustrating result, but not the end of the world. With both us and St Mirren losing next week's televised game is a big one for both clubs.

44 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm going to lay some of the blame at Naysmith's door for this one.  We all said it pre-match.  If you are going to play that formation you need your full-backs to get forward.  Fordyce tried but lacked quality despite getting into some good areas.  He is very much a centre-half playing right back.  Very frustrating with two right-backs on the bench, and even more so when his partnership with Brownlie was looking so solid.  We've started leaking goals since Naysmith started dicking about with the defence.  Kerr looked very nervous in the first half.  Back to Fordyce and Brownlie next week please.  

I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not so sure whether the defence being "solid" was more of a reflection of the opposition we've played. And it didn't look that solid at Dundee U. I wasn't there, but from the highlights, it looked like Rooney was being ripped a new one and was on a booking before their guy got himself sent off. Difficult to know how that game would have panned out if he had stayed on. Plus, we still managed to lose another goal when they were down to 10 men. Their subsequent results kind of indicate that they're not all that great, yet we accepted a narrow defeat against 10 men as though it was some kind of reasonable outcome because they were seemingly title favourites, glossing over the fact that we lost due to poor defending.

I think the problem is that we have signed 2 right backs, neither of whom is very good. I also think we should have a right winger on the right to give some protection, rather than playing Tapping, or nobody, there. Imo playing all 3 centre backs and all 3 central midfielders is not a recipe for success. Nor is playing McFadden at all, but particulalrly not in a wide area. He can't run.

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

Difficult to know how that game would have panned out if he had stayed on. Plus, we still managed to lose another goal when they were down to 10 men. Their subsequent results kind of indicate that they're not all that great, yet we accepted a narrow defeat against 10 men as though it was some kind of reasonable outcome because they were seemingly title favourites, glossing over the fact that we lost due to poor defending.

I don't think we did lose particularly due to poor defending against United. After the sending off they rarely got near our goal. The goal they did get for me came about as a result of Scott McDonald clearing Brownlie out of the way with a clear foul in the build up. I'm not disputing United were well on top prior to McMullan being sent off but that was mainly directly due to him.

If there was a general acceptance of that result then whilst it was undoubtedly at least partly because it was United away, it was also possibly because it was a travesty of a result ultimately and we should have gotten at the very least a draw (again, accepting that we were maybe fortunate to be still level before the McMullan red card).

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

The phrase "game management" is very popular with managers at the moment, and yesterday was an example of it being carried out very well by Morton.  We had the best of the first 15 minutes and the entire second half but Morton still managed to see the game out in relative comfort.  They scored their goals at good times in the game and then just happily saw it out.  Very frustrating from our point of view.  We resorted to desperation punts forward far too early.  We played as if it was the last 5 minutes for the last 35.

I'm going to lay some of the blame at Naysmith's door for this one.  We all said it pre-match.  If you are going to play that formation you need your full-backs to get forward.  Fordyce tried but lacked quality despite getting into some good areas.  He is very much a centre-half playing right back.  Very frustrating with two right-backs on the bench, and even more so when his partnership with Brownlie was looking so solid.  We've started leaking goals since Naysmith started dicking about with the defence.  Kerr looked very nervous in the first half.  Back to Fordyce and Brownlie next week please.  What makes it even worse is that both goals came from our right-hand side, with Quitongo showing Fordyce a clean pair of heels for the first.  Presumably the logic was that Fordyce would offer us more defensive protection than Rooney, which perhaps he would have.  In the end it still wasn't enough, and we lost out on an attacking option down that side.  I'm all for trying to nullify the opposition's threats, but in home games I'd prefer we concentrated on playing to our own strengths.

• Dobbies' freekick was very unlucky (the first one, not the one near the end!).
  • Kane's run would have been an absolutely cracking goal had he not fluffed his shot.  Sums up his time with us so far.  He got up well for a header in the second half as well.  Definitely worth persevering with as he is the perfect foil for Dobbie and Lyle.
  • Tapping was woeful and Jacobs probably had his worst game for us.  He's almost as good at giving it away as he is at winning it back!
  • Harkin's is the white, bald, Scottish equivalent of Marouane Fellaini.  I've no idea how he escaped without a booking for persistent fouling.  Bossed the game though, as he usually does against us.
  • As already pointed out, woefully inept showing from the referee.  Despite having nothing much to do he still got it all wrong.  Spoiled the flow of the second half by constantly giving free kicks for minor niggles.  It played into Morton's hands a bit as they ran down the clock.
  • Nice to see a big away support down at Palmerston, something that will be a rare sight this season.

If we want to make a serious push for the playoffs we need a better return of one point from games like this and Livingston last week.  However on the overall scheme of things I'm not too downhearted as it was a decent enough performance.  It does however put a bit of pressure on the next few away games as we can't afford to go multiple games without a win like last season.

How many away fans did we have?

Naysmith didn't dick about with the defence though. Rooney was set to play against Falkirk but picked up an injury. All he's done is keep the same back four since.

I'd agree, and I've said it before, that brownlie and Fordyce are the best centre half pairing and I'd play Rooney at right back ahead of Kerr in the centre but it's not really a fair criticism of Naysmith that we've ended up the other way round.

Archived