Tipping

Jmothecat2

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Wait; why are folk who don't tip poor customers? If someone orders loads from a takeaway but doesn't tip, why would the takeaway owner give a shit? They'd just see them as a good repeat customer, and if some dickhead delivery driver was making this customer wait and potentially upsetting them, thus putting at risk losing this customer's business, the owner wouldn't be best pleased.

It's a moot point anyway, since the entire premise is utter fantasy bullshit.

I generally go to the same takeaway every weekend, I order through Just-Eat and pay online as I don't generally hold cash on me, which means no tip for the driver. They deliver within 20 minutes every time. If they were to start delivering my takeaway after an hour or so I'd go somewhere else.  It's in their interest to deliver to me quickly whether I'm tipping the driver or not.

50 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I really don't want to get into this saga of whether folk remember non-tippers or not, but what I will say is this:

I'm slightly shocked by how many total tinks there are on here who are trying to dress up their stingy attitude towards tipping as some sort of legitimate railing against a corrupt system. 
It's not.
No delivery driver on sub-minimum wage, or waiter who is keeping smiling despite being at the tail-end of a 12-hour shift is thinking "oh, that guy doesn't tip. He must be the principled sort who wants my employer to pay me better, and for the extra costs to transparently be added to his order at the front end".
No-one thinks that .
They all just think you're a bit of a dick.
It's the equivalent of a bellend in student digs (white with dreadlocks) who claims that they don't vote as "a protest". They could vote for the least-worst candidate, or they could spoil their ballot. No, protest by staying in bed and sleeping.  

You might not like the culture of tipping, and there are legitimate reasons for not liking it. But it is the culture. It's not up for debate that a societal norm is to tip taxi drivers, delivery guys, barbers, waiters etc. It just is. If you don't like it that much then move somewhere that it isn't the norm.
Otherwise, factor the cost in upfront as a part of the overall cost. Accept it. Stop being a tink.

"Move somewhere it isn't the norm" :lol:

Aye, haud on, I'll just sell my house and move to Japan because I don't accept paying additional costs for something I've already paid for. Wind yer neck in.

I'm a bit lost. Are a couple of people here trying to make out picking up food and dropping it off somewhere, or picking up a person and dropping them off somewhere, is some sort of scientific process, or art form? If it was that complicated, then it wouldn't be done by people who are too stupid or lazy to get a real job.

Some inconsistent opinions being expressed here In relation to employment and financial status. The same people, who on the politics forum, would be blaming Tory austerity, the lack of opportunity for advancement and class inequality reproduction being responsible for poorer life outcomes are now happy, in the general forum, to categorise folk in poorer status jobs as "lazy" and "thick".

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I generally go to the same takeaway every weekend, I order through Just-Eat and pay online as I don't generally hold cash on me, which means no tip for the driver. They deliver within 20 minutes every time. If they were to start delivering my takeaway after an hour or so I'd go somewhere else.  It's in their interest to deliver to me quickly whether I'm tipping the driver or not.

I hope your bank's computer crashes one day ya cashless scrooge.

Do folk tip shelf stackers in supermarkets? After all, they're on pretty low wages? What about checkout workers in supermarkets?

Or do folk just tip people in certain occupations because they blindly follow 'the norm'?

I really don't want to get into this saga of whether folk remember non-tippers or not, but what I will say is this:
I'm slightly shocked by how many total tinks there are on here who are trying to dress up their stingy attitude towards tipping as some sort of legitimate railing against a corrupt system. 
It's not.
No delivery driver on sub-minimum wage, or waiter who is keeping smiling despite being at the tail-end of a 12-hour shift is thinking "oh, that guy doesn't tip. He must be the principled sort who wants my employer to pay me better, and for the extra costs to transparently be added to his order at the front end".
No-one thinks that .
They all just think you're a bit of a dick.
It's the equivalent of a bellend in student digs (white with dreadlocks) who claims that they don't vote as "a protest". They could vote for the least-worst candidate, or they could spoil their ballot. No, protest by staying in bed and sleeping.  

You might not like the culture of tipping, and there are legitimate reasons for not liking it. But it is the culture. It's not up for debate that a societal norm is to tip taxi drivers, delivery guys, barbers, waiters etc. It just is. If you don't like it that much then move somewhere that it isn't the norm.
Otherwise, factor the cost in upfront as a part of the overall cost. Accept it. Stop being a tink.

I'm calling bullshit on all of that except in restaurants. It's not a societal norm to tip taxi drivers in this country. If I'm in a taxi for work the driver is getting nothing extra and I'm asking for a receipt, never had an issue from a driver. I never tipped my barber a penny but went every week and became mates with him, I was at his wedding 2 weeks ago (the only customer that was invited).

Do folk tip shelf stackers in supermarkets? After all, they're on pretty low wages? What about checkout workers in supermarkets?
Or do folk just tip people in certain occupations because they blindly follow 'the norm'?

I tip checkout assistants. The one time I didn't the lassie served 4 folk ahead of me. I learned my lesson.

27 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Some inconsistent opinions being expressed here In relation to employment and financial status. The same people, who on the politics forum, would be blaming Tory austerity, the lack of opportunity for advancement and class inequality reproduction being responsible for poorer life outcomes are now happy, in the general forum, to categorise folk in poorer status jobs as "lazy" and "thick".

The day I give a flying f**k about your opinion is the day I'll consider the world to have ended.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I believe their way round this one is "anyone who provides a personal service". So I'm assuming they do tip check-out operators. They surely also tip all emergency service staff if they ever need them. Suppose the folk who work at the fitting rooms in retail outlets will be tipped too, they go and get clothes/shoes of different sizes for them so why not. Must also include any workers carrying out repairs in their house. The list must be endless.

What an absolute bunch of miserable cretins some of you are on here.

If a few quid is that precious to your principles then keep it, just don't be in any doubt that decent minded people think you're a twat.

I always remember when doing such jobs that the people who'd plenty of dough would rarely give you anything yet those who obviously had very little would generally always tip.

It basically comes down to the level of respect you have for other people. Some folk clearly believe themselves to be superior and have no respect.

You can tell a lot about a person from how they treat those who've little power, little to offer and who are largely dependent on them.

I wouldn't let myself forget doing crap jobs and relying on tips no matter how much dough I had.

7 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

If a few quid is that precious to your principles then keep it, just don't be in any doubt that decent minded people think you're a twat.

I always remember when doing such jobs that the people who'd plenty of dough would rarely give you anything yet those who obviously had very little would generally always tip.

It basically comes down to the level of respect you have for other people. Some folk clearly believe themselves to be superior and have no respect.

You can tell a lot about a person from how they treat those who've little power, little to offer and who are largely dependent on them.

I wouldn't let myself forget doing crap jobs and relying on tips no matter how much dough I had.

The fact these people are relying on tips to make a decent wage is not my problem.  You seem to be mistaking this for superiority and a lack of respect, I don't think I'm better than any of these people and I understand that everyone needs to put food on the table.  You might be right about the respect part though, I don't respect employers that don't pay their employees a worthy wage, nowt to do with the employees. 

c***s acting like Ghandi because they dish out a few quid to a fucking delivery driver. Gies peace.

Tipping should be purely for good service. It should not be seen as a given. If a person takes a job that is so poorly paid that they rely on tips then that's their lookout. They are perpetuating low wages for that job.

I usually tell the taxi driver to keep the change out a tenner, despite the fact the fare is on the
meter and I think it's overpriced. Same with haircuts, it's a standard short back and sides. Not complicated. Not really deserving of a tip on top of the agreed price. Even mediocre eateries get a tip. I do it, but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. If they are local and you go regularly, then you feel like you are supporting a local business. I'm really tipping them for standard expected service. Do I get a rebate if they provide fucking terrible service?

Theres no way you can quantify or provide evidence or support this statement. Its just romanticised pish

There's no way anyone can quantify most of their lived experience, doesn't mean it's pish. The fact it is such a commonly held view would suggest it has truth to those with experience of it.

Far more likely to get tips in a council scheme than a big fancy house.

In restaurants it is a societal norm I will give you that. I don't believe the others are, and it would be a mistake to allow tipping to become a norm of society rather than a reflection of a job well done IMO. Not saying you shouldn't tip people, but if you do so because it's just what you do, we then have America where it is out of control IMO.

Tipping Taxi Drivers and Takeaway Delivery Drivers are UK societal norms.

Even hairdressers is pretty standard practice.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I save lives and have never received a tip. Am I supposed to start letting non tippers die? 

Yes. Just file them alongside the countless other deaths you are responsible for

I always buy takeaways with Just Eat so never tip, I'd never even thought about it until reading this thread.

I don't tip taxi-drivers because they charge a fortune in Edinburgh and half the time ask me for directions, the useless c***s.

I tip waiters in restaurants though, usually 10% unless the meal is awful or the service actively bad.  My wife and I went fora Nandos last night and realised that as we pay in advance we never leave a tip there. 

Archived