Tipping

Jmothecat2

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Tipping Taxi Drivers and Takeaway Delivery Drivers are UK societal norms.

Even hairdressers is pretty standard practice.

Admittedly I haven't been in a barbers for many years, but when I used to use them (David Grays in Dunfermline) I can't recall anyone ever tipping them.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do folk tip shelf stackers in supermarkets? After all, they're on pretty low wages? What about checkout workers in supermarkets?
Or do folk just tip people in certain occupations because they blindly follow 'the norm'?

Do you pay shelf stackers for your shopping? Are checkout workers allowed to pocket the difference?

I always buy takeaways with Just Eat so never tip, I'd never even thought about it until reading this thread.
I don't tip taxi-drivers because they charge a fortune in Edinburgh and half the time ask me for directions, the useless c***s.
I tip waiters in restaurants though, usually 10% unless the meal is awful or the service actively bad.  My wife and I went fora Nandos last night and realised that as we pay in advance we never leave a tip there. 

^^^^deliberately went to Nando's to avoid tipping.

Just now, The Chlamydia Kid said:

^^^^deliberately went to Nando's to avoid tipping.

They do have a tip box next to the till but I don't want to tip in advance, what if my meal was shit, although there is a limit to how shit spicy chicken and chips could possibly be?

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres no way you can quantify or provide evidence or support this statement. Its just romanticised pish

It's my experience too, from working in a hotel and another job delivering furniture and doing home removals.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

"Move somewhere it isn't the norm" :lol:

Aye, haud on, I'll just sell my house and move to Japan because I don't accept paying additional costs for something I've already paid for. Wind yer neck in.

Yeah, I said OR just get over the fact that it's a societal norm and stop being a total tink. Funny you edited that bit out. Tink.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

The fact these people are relying on tips to make a decent wage is not my problem.  You seem to be mistaking this for superiority and a lack of respect, I don't think I'm better than any of these people and I understand that everyone needs to put food on the table.  You might be right about the respect part though, I don't respect employers that don't pay their employees a worthy wage, nowt to do with the employees. 

c***s acting like Ghandi because they dish out a few quid to a fucking delivery driver. Gies peace.

No-one's acting like Ghandi. Just saying that the employees don't have control over what the employers do. So your "protest" against this supposedly unjust system (which if it was just would mean the cost of your meal going up on the menu anyway) it to withhold a tip from the person you admit yourself doesn't get a decent wage. Total tink behaviour.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

This University of Life v Degrees is painful reading, it really is. Can someone please just boil it down to the fact that there are thick c***s and clever c***s on both sides, aswell as folk who do well and folk who do not on both sides. 

Also, Ayrmad has had a serious mare on this thread and is harming the cause of delivery drivers everywhere

Ayrmad only champions his own cause.

I always tip the barbers a quid but the barber I go to near work have upped their prices to £15 which has made me rethink.  When it was £13 they used to get £2, when it was £14 they'd get a £1 but it's just getting ridiculous now. 

I've also had the suspicion at other barbers that the person cutting my hair might own the salon plus a couple of others and make a fortune, but they still accept your £1 donation. 

I also tend to tip bar staff more at my pre-match regular on the Gallowgate rather than in the city centre because I feel like I'm paying under the odds and they probably don't get much trade outwith match days. There's also the currying favour factor I suppose for when it's busy or when they're only letting in a select few after a big game. 

1 hour ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

I'm calling bullshit on all of that except in restaurants. It's not a societal norm to tip taxi drivers in this country. If I'm in a taxi for work the driver is getting nothing extra and I'm asking for a receipt, never had an issue from a driver. I never tipped my barber a penny but went every week and became mates with him, I was at his wedding 2 weeks ago (the only customer that was invited).

You can call bullshit on it. The evidence on here is that it's far from unheard of to tip these people.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

In restaurants it is a societal norm I will give you that. I don't believe the others are, and it would be a mistake to allow tipping to become a norm of society rather than a reflection of a job well done IMO. Not saying you shouldn't tip people, but if you do so because it's just what you do, we then have America where it is out of control IMO.

It's an annoying system in America, and it can be annoying here. I don't dispute that. But what I need to keep pointing out is that it is already a norm. People have tipped taxi drivers, delivery drivers, barbers etc. for as long as I know. I would prefer it if tipping wasn't used and the "real cost" was listed on menus etc., to cover the living wages of these workers, but ultimately the cost to me would be the same. In America it's only "out of control" insofar as they're even worse than us at not paying their staff enough. If they did pay their staff enough, you would still need to fork out the same total amount for your meal in the long run.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Tipping should be purely for good service. It should not be seen as a given. If a person takes a job that is so poorly paid that they rely on tips then that's their lookout. They are perpetuating low wages for that job.

I usually tell the taxi driver to keep the change out a tenner, despite the fact the fare is on the
meter and I think it's overpriced. Same with haircuts, it's a standard short back and sides. Not complicated. Not really deserving of a tip on top of the agreed price. Even mediocre eateries get a tip. I do it, but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. If they are local and you go regularly, then you feel like you are supporting a local business. I'm really tipping them for standard expected service. Do I get a rebate if they provide fucking terrible service?

I like to think tipping is for good service and for the anticipation of good service. If my barber decided to shave all my hair off, then no, I wouldn't give him a tip. But I go to the same place and the same guys always cut my hair. They do a good job and I want that to continue. I don't miss the £2 I give as a tip, and I doubt their other customers do either. But cumulatively these tips hopefully result in the guys getting a decent wage.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Tipping Taxi Drivers and Takeaway Delivery Drivers are UK societal norms.

Even hairdressers is pretty standard practice.

Exactly.

4 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Your degree obviously didn't involve reading and comprehension, "Who gives the slightest f**k about Dutch history, a totally worthless subject dissected by a worthless individual".

You can get plenty of good jobs on the back of that degree if you put in the effort and are good enough at preparing/interviewing etc. The specifics of the degree don't matter, it's a very easy principle to understand, so I don't know why you're struggling with it so much.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I generally go to the same takeaway every weekend, I order through Just-Eat and pay online as I don't generally hold cash on me, which means no tip for the driver. They deliver within 20 minutes every time. If they were to start delivering my takeaway after an hour or so I'd go somewhere else.  It's in their interest to deliver to me quickly whether I'm tipping the driver or not.

Must be a different world, the busier takeaways would struggle to deliver food in 20 minutes, there are items that take that sort of time to cook properly.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You can get plenty of good jobs on the back of that degree if you put in the effort and are good enough at preparing/interviewing etc. The specifics of the degree don't matter, it's a very easy principle to understand, so I don't know why you're struggling with it so much.

It's you that is continually seeing what you want it to say, nowhere in that post was cash/job mentioned.

A degree is only a means to an end, it doesn't mean you'll be a rip-roaring success in your chosen profession, doctors,nurses,dentists,accountants etc all have people with one or more degrees that are absolutely shite at their job, it's an indicator of suitability not a certainty.

Archived