Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

Here was me thinking that the end of Season 2 was the end of the whole thing. Liked their "out" at the end too, basically negating all the "Discovery messes with cannon" stuff by saying that they've all agreed to never mention stuff again like Spock having a sister, the Spore Drive and the time suit. A bit cheap but clever in its own way.

On 23/04/2019 at 13:29, scottsdad said:

They are doing a Section 31 spin-off from Discovery.

Remember when Sloan dies in DS9?  "We have no ships, no offices..." and so on. Very different from a fleet, space stations and the like.

They've turned S31 into the Tal Shiar :rolleyes:

Edited by Antiochas III

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 00:17, Cerberus said:

I see CBS is starting a new Picard Star Trek series.

TNG was the only Star Trek that didn't sucks sweaty sacks. Please don't f**k it up.

TNG could be awfy boring at times tbf.

On 19/05/2019 at 21:57, LongTimeLurker said:

Thought Deep Space Nine had its moments. Not often you see an American primetime show that attacks organized religion the way that series did and Quark and the Ferengi were always good for a laugh.

"In the Pale Moonlight" is in my opinion the best episode in Star Trek history.  

19 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I recently binged TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Conclusions:

TNG was lovely and good.

DS9 wasted 2 series and had to rush to wrap up all the loose ends.

Voyager was surprisingly dark for the first 2 series then was boring. Final series was ridiculous.

f**k Enterprise.

Dark? I thought Voyager was totally milquetoast for pretty much it's whole run. That's really what it's problem was: it didn't take it's own concept seriously. It did have Thaw, with the clown though.

As for DS9, it wasn't the first two series that created the rush to the end, it was season 4, really, with the studio mandate to get the Klingons into the series big style in a way the showrunners hadn't wanted as a means to shore up viewer numbers. Took them another half season after that to get the whole thing back into the Dominion arc where they wanted to be. It's easily the best of the modern shows with a couple of stand out episodes in every season (even season 1, that gave us sub TNG dirge like 'If wishes were horses' still also gave us 'Waltz') certainly the deepest bench in terms of acting talent (for whatever that's worth in a mid 90s sci-fi) - loved Damar's arc in the back end of season 7. 

TNG had 4 good seasons I think: 3,4,5 and 6. Season 1 is god awful from the truly inept pilot, through the recycled 70s plots from the aborted 'Star Trek: phase 2" series, not forgetting the outright racist episode and of course the exploding head episode at the end.  Season 2 slightly improves with a couple of stand out episodes in 'Measure of a Man' and of course 'Q Who' that introduced the Borg but overall still fairly substandard. Season 7 is a total mess, although 'All Good Things...' stands out as possibly the best of any of the Trek finales: Not always the most exciting, but while the other trek shows had to tie up actual story arcs, 'All Good Things...' was allowed to be a thematic show case for TNG, the bit at the end with DeLancie and Stewart is one of my favourite scenes in Trek.

On 5/23/2019 at 19:10, MixuFixit said:

I recently binged TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

Conclusions:

TNG was lovely and good.

DS9 wasted 2 series and had to rush to wrap up all the loose ends.

Voyager was surprisingly dark for the first 2 series then was boring. Final series was ridiculous.

f**k Enterprise.

With Enterprise, the only way to watch it is like this - watch the pilot, and then skip directly to the last episode of season 2. Everything in between was pure guff. Season 3 of Enterprise was top drawer stuff.

Generally agree with the others, though Voyager was boring right from the off. DS9 had some of the finest characters and episodes of them all.

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly dip in and out of TNG. love the time loop plots - there tends to be one or two a season. also return to TOS but never to DS9 or Voyager. As a few of the posters have said Enterprise Season 3 and 4 are excellent - clearly they saw their approach wasn't working and went a bit more serious and treated fans with a bit more respect in running a story arc.

Discovery - meh - It weren't for Lorca in the first season and Pike in the second I wouldn't watch. It is so Burnham centric and focussed that you wonder from one episode to the next how they are going to shoe-horn in a contrived connection to her with the latest plot twist. Alas they never fail to deliver. And Tilly is now the clear go to for "comedy" relief. truly awful - but as said Pike and Lorca just about saved it for me. 

I am at an utter loss. Just been through DS9 again - always satisfying. I have dipped in to a few favourite TNG episodes (Starship Mine yesterday). I cannot watch Voyager. watched Enterprise just a year ago. 

Back to the original gang I guess until Picard.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I am at an utter loss. Just been through DS9 again - always satisfying. I have dipped in to a few favourite TNG episodes (Starship Mine yesterday). I cannot watch Voyager. watched Enterprise just a year ago. 

Back to the original gang I guess until Picard.

The Animated Series? The movies (again)? dare I say it, The Orville (the first season I thought was okay - a clear homage but not taking itself too seriously; Season 2 I thought was just horrendous as it started to try and take itself seriously). 

as I love the time traveller/loop ST episodes, I am absolutely hooked to Netflix's Travelers. I would even say it is one of the best things around just now. 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

This was news to me, but Picard will be on Amazon Prime.

News to me, too, but good news - Virgin have just made Amazon Prime available on their box, no more Firestick faffing about to watch the likes of this.

Yeah, Netflix has fallen out with CBS in a big way over Discovery (they seem to have overpaid and not got the viewing figures they wanted) so it'll be interesting to see what happens with any season 3 of Discovery. The Picard trailer from Comic Con was superb. The bit at the start showing a more reflective Picard from the TV show rather than the action man from the films, the Borg cube, the action sequences with the mysterious woman, the reveal of Seven of Nine and of Data/B-4, the production and of course Jean-Luc pointing and saying "Engage!" was just spot on. I was already looking forward to the series, but now I'm very excited by the whole thing.