Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

Still trying to decide what save to do. Would do a standard Hibs save but like the idea of going outside my usual knowledge and managing in like lower league France or Germany... Seen a lot of folk doing fallen giants saves like Nottingham Forest & Red Star Belgrade... Trouble is I'm playing on a laptop which can barely handle more than a few leagues..

Spoiler

Also, shameless plug time, anyone who enjoys watching Football Manager streams on Twitch and chatting about Football Manager and Football in general who has Discord, feel free to join the We Stream FM Discord

On 10/11/2017 at 08:30, Jaggy Snake said:

Can anyone do me a favour and post a screenshot of David Goodwillie's stats? Looking forward to the first game in years Clyde should actually have a decent player, if he doesn't instantly want away in the game.

I've decided to wait until Christmas to get the game as I'm still playing the new FIFA and, more importantly, Battlefront 2 is out next week so I wouldn't have time to play both.

XgVe908.png

Killie have taken Cardle off me for 60k. Brought in Rocco Quinn and Jordan McMillan as squad players. Struggling to replace Cardle though and having punted Hopkirk as well due to no longer being with us, I have no options on that side. Derk Boerrigter coming on for a 4 week trial, hope he can be convinced to stay.

Best of it is I've been really stretched at the back, and ended up forced to play a 17yo regen (admittedly a cracking one I have high hopes for anyway) in all those games, came out them with a 7.2 average rating. Boys a superstar, and I'm struggling to justify bringing Anderson back in.

Damaged his cruciate ligaments and is out for 5-8 months, horrific feeling it'll severely stunt his development. Heart broken.

My business in the first window. We're looking decent. Messed about with strike partnerships but Nicky Clark and Andy Ryan is the one that works.

In:

Derk Boerrigter

Tom Hateley

Rocco Quinn

Jordan McMillan

Thibaud Verlinden (loan)

Out:

Joe Cardle

David Hopkirk

Scott Lochhead (loan)

Edited by JamieStevenson

1 hour ago, JamieStevenson said:

My business in the first window. We're looking decent. Messed about with strike partnerships but Nicky Clark and Andy Ryan is the one that works.

In:

Derk Boerrigter

Tom Hateley

Rocco Quinn

Jordan McMillan

Thibaud Verlinden (loan)

Out:

Joe Cardle

David Hopkirk

Scott Lochhead (loan)

Boerrigter and Quinn, eh?

Hope you hired an extra physio too. 

Boerrigter and Quinn, eh?
Hope you hired an extra physio too. 

Amazingly no injuries as of yet. Boerrigter is brilliant. Quinn hasn't really seen much action other than some sub appearances in the cup games.

This game is super realistic though. We're terrific at home and we can't get a shot on target away from home.

Started a save with Scotland in the beta just to get myself used to the game before starting a club save when the full game was out, but I've stuck to the Scotland save to see where I end up. Last night was the first time I've managed to play it in a couple of weeks though*. 

Started the Nations League away to Serbia, finished 1-1 and I was absolutely seething that they had about 35 shots to my 5, then after the game saw that they were 10th in the world rankings which made me feel a bit better. Pumped them the second time round and hammered Finland and Montenegro twice as well to win the group. Not a bad Euro Qualifier group with Switzerland and Denmark the main challenge, and if I've got the right understanding of how it all works, if I don't qualify through that then I get a play off for winning the NL group.

Got guys playing for shite like Elgin telling me they're not interested in representing Scotland any more because we have a shite reputation. Good, now f**k off.

Are team talks not as important this year? Notice you don't even get the option to give a team talk when making a quick sub.

* Actually that's a lie, I started a save with Exeter City but only played it for like an hour, will pick that up again at some point. Only remembered that because Malky Mackay took over as Hibs manager in both saves.

Edited by LiviLion

SO I bought this and into my first save, one observation is that the game seems very friendly to Scottish teams in terms of European competitions, both Rangers and St. Johnstone have made the group stages of the Europa League while Aberdeen got to the playoff round!  Also the save doesn't rate Owen Coyle very highly, Ross County sacked him after 12 games after they only had 3 points (and no wins)

That's just Ross county's annual purge before uncle Roy chucks money into them.

I'm bored as hell in my first season with rovers, beaten hearts and dunfermline with ease in the cup and it's pretty simple going in the league so far. Just trying to bring through the youth players as much as possible before we make an assault to get to them prem next season.

Thank f**k they sorted vaughans contract out as he didn't want to sign a new one on the demo. Still no herron in the squad though, not sure if that's a particularly bad thing though.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

That's just Ross county's annual purge before uncle Roy chucks money into them.

I'm bored as hell in my first season with rovers, beaten hearts and dunfermline with ease in the cup and it's pretty simple going in the league so far. Just trying to bring through the youth players as much as possible before we make an assault to get to them prem next season.

Thank f**k they sorted vaughans contract out as he didn't want to sign a new one on the demo. Still no herron in the squad though, not sure if that's a particularly bad thing though.

In my save Raith got to the Semis of the League Cup, they lost to Kilmarnock.  Rangers ended Celtic's domestic unbeaten run in the other semi

His contract expired at the end of the first season in my save. I'm now into the third season and he's still there despite never signing a new one. Very odd.

I've finished sixth in both my seasons, pretty chuffed tbh although probably shite for some. Managing to revitalise the squad with younger players is rewarding. Been doing it slowly to try and save the squad dynamics. Easton, Davidson and Craig are all who remain as regular starters, and I think I've sorted a way to replace Craig if I can sign the player I want.

Would definitely recommend people go for Coulibaly though, can be frustrating with some easy misses but gets you 15 goals a season pretty easily. Effective in a few different roles aswell.

Well started my customary attempt at the Youth Challenge, this time it is the Spartans who I will fail with.  (For those not aware you have to sim a season and then pick the team that gets promoted, try and not get sacked while developing your own youth stars - some say they have managed to get promoted....I don't believe them)  Anyway the reason why I'm saying this is that the Scottish season proved a managerial merry-go-round of madness and suffering.

• County sacked Coyle, hired Houston (*shudders*) and were bottom till the last game of the season, got 11th at the expense of Killie and then beat Morton in the playoff's on pens. 
  • Hearts hired Steve Clarke from Killie who then sought out Jim McIntyre to take over....still there after relegation.
  • Rangers hired Tommy Wright.....sacked him 6 months later, let Murty take over for 2 weeks then hired Levein, finished 5th in the league, finance listed as insecure. 
  • Bad news for St Johnstone fans though, Malky MacKay took over from Wright.
  • Celtic's domestic  unbeaten run was ended by Morton in the League cup, losing 3-0
  • St Mirren still in the Championship, it was QoS who got promoted to the Premiership.

I'm playing my save as Rangers (I know, I know) partially to see how much better than Pedro I could do (the answer is very much better) and partially to scout out the "blue chip" Scottish prospects.  So far Harry Cochrane from Hearts is looking good, I also signed Matthew Knox but he's not the blue chip prospect he was in FM2017.  Also Tony Gallacher from Falkirk has fallen a long way since being one of the best young Scottish players in FM2017

There seem to be at least 6 goals in every Championship game. My favourite games so far have been our 8-1 defeat at home to Dumbarton (who are ridiculously OP on this game....) and a 5-5 draw away at Livingston. Crazy games. Our form has picked up, winning 4 and drawing 1 of our last 5. Trying hard to sneak back into a playoff position but it's tough at the top.

Edited by JamieStevenson

13 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Someone's taken the piss and made St Mirren the best team on the game by far.

I wouldn't read too much into it, that Championship is very unpredicatable. I've had two championship season run throughs.

First one the playoff teams were Dundee Utd (promoted), QotS, Dunfermline whilst Dumbarton and Brechin got relegated, edging out Falkirk and Inverness.

Second season, it was Falkirk, Inverness, Dumbarton in promotion playoffs. Brechin relegated. Morton, Dunfermline and Dundee Utd battling it out for the relegation playoff spot.