Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

Good first season[mention=31296]randomguy[/mention]. Look forward to seeing how it develops in season. What formation you playing ??

Was a 4-4-1-1. Had Alston, Millar, Davidson and Craig in behind Scougall.

Second season has started poorly. Anderson really struggling for form and injuries has affected me, while Scougall hasn't played all season due to niggles.

Interesting I've also gone with that formation . 4 games in and looking OK . Will keep you posted when play a bit more tonight. Like real life with ando

Seems to suit the squad I think. I went on a nine game winless run but stuck by it and it seemed to keep me right.

MacLean regressing badly second season too, which makes me happy I got Coulibaly. I'd advise you to look after Scougall though, once he starts getting knocks he never stops

Second season wasnt going so well, sitting 8th and about seven points off 11th, realised I had away games against Rangers, Aberdeen and Celtic coming up, with a home game against Partick wedged in. 

Ended up stumbling upon a perfect tactic for games against much stronger teams. Won 1-0 at Ibrox, drew 0-0 at Pittodrie and drew 1-1 at Celtic after holding the lead for nigh on an hour. Partick beat me 4-1, of course.

Best of it is I've been really stretched at the back, and ended up forced to play a 17yo regen (admittedly a cracking one I have high hopes for anyway) in all those games, came out them with a 7.2 average rating. Boys a superstar, and I'm struggling to justify bringing Anderson back in. Andersons a Team Leader, so intrigued to see how this develops

22 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Played 2 friendlies and 5 Europa league qualifying games... injuries to foster Easton shaughnessy Anderson wotherspoon Davidson Craig scougall and cumnins plus comrie Gilchrist and Kyle mclean. Utterly game breaking stuff.

Funny that. Despite taking the sports scientists advice I'm getting six or seven injuries at a time quite regularly <_<

People always moan about injuries when they have an injury crisis at their club. SI have increased the injury ratio this year to fall more in line with real life, by adding in more short term injuries. This is supposed to reflect the fact footballers regularly get (and play with) knocks. 

For reference though, Sunderland last season IRL never once had a week where there were less than seven injuries at the one time. Unfortunately, David Moyes's brain was out for the whole season. 

People always moan about injuries when they have an injury crisis at their club. SI have increased the injury ratio this year to fall more in line with real life, by adding in more short term injuries. This is supposed to reflect the fact footballers regularly get (and play with) knocks. 
For reference though, Sunderland last season IRL never once had a week where there were less than seven injuries at the one time. Unfortunately, David Moyes's brain was out for the whole season. 

I get what your saying but none of these are short term. Five are two to three months , one 9 months and the rest three or 4 weeks. Considering I am basically four weeks into the season it seems a tad unrealistic

13 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I get what your saying but none of these are short term. Five are two to three months , one 9 months and the rest three or 4 weeks. Considering I am basically four weeks into the season it seems a tad unrealistic

Not always. We had about 6 or 7 players out with injuries within 2 weeks of the new season. 

Won the championship with St Mirren at a canter in the end. Have now gone about strengthening my squad. Lee Desmond has come in from St. Pats, Andre Perreira from Porto B, also managed to extend the loan of Scott McTominay and Eddie Nkityah for 2 years apiece. 

I've got a 19 year old lad coming from a Norwegian side for 200k and scouring for a new keeper. 

Incidentally, I rarely use my scouts and rely on the old fashioned champion manager method of scouring foreign markets by myself. 

I've already had several knock backs from Danny Wilson, Scott Allan, Jai Quitongo, Myles Hippolyte, Lewis Morgan and Lewis Strapp and a few Serbian U19 international players. 

Been mostly just dicking about with it so far.  Seems like the changes will be good once im a wee bit further down the line and started moulding my own squad.  Been a bit guilty of just playing Ayr as they are so far so might just start fresh when the full game is out.  

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Won the championship with St Mirren at a canter in the end. Have now gone about strengthening my squad. Lee Desmond has come in from St. Pats, Andre Perreira from Porto B, also managed to extend the loan of Scott McTominay and Eddie Nkityah for 2 years apiece. 

I've got a 19 year old lad coming from a Norwegian side for 200k and scouring for a new keeper. 

Incidentally, I rarely use my scouts and rely on the old fashioned champion manager method of scouring foreign markets by myself. 

I've already had several knock backs from Danny Wilson, Scott Allan, Jai Quitongo, Myles Hippolyte, Lewis Morgan and Lewis Strapp and a few Serbian U19 international players. 

This.  Norway and Portugal are a gold mine for players. 

Prep complete for first season back in the Premier League. The board very kindly gave me £1.5m to spend for the proceed's of Lewis Morgan's transfer and I've invested very wisely I feel.

Southampton also came back with an offer to sell the sell-on clause on Morgan for £3.25m which I gladly accepted.

Several players left the club which left me at a very, very basic squad. It was obvious I needed improvement in several areas. Scott McTominay and Eddie Nketiah's loan deals were extended and Aaron Doran signed a PCA from Inverness.

Onto pre-season and I scoured the reserve sides of some larger clubs to see who was listed and I returned to this lad on the list at Dortmund - I first went for him in Januray but his wage demands far outstripped my budget as he wanted £4k a week. His agent actually approached the club in pre-season and said they'd be willing to negotiate, so in came Patrick Pflucke for £185k:

Capture2.thumb.JPG.0fc64492218e59fcd1013c633ba152ec.JPG

Next, my failed pursuit of Danny Wilson - who picked Fleetwood ahead of me - led me to Porto's B team and this young Ivorian Centre half with great physicals and decent enough technicals for his role. I currently have Harry Davis, Gary McKenzie Jack Baird and Lee Desmond for centre half, but Gary is getting on and there are times I play 3 centre halves, so in came Alan Bidi from Porto for a nominal fee of about 5k:

Capture3.thumb.JPG.b005684171ca134dc7067a393edec7c9.JPG

Centre mid is probably my strongest area of the pitch. I have McGinn, Magennis, Benedicic and McTominay. But had a look at some U19 squads and this young lad stood out like a bit of a sore thumb. Just turned 19 and looks like he could go on and do very decent things - he was really worth breaking my wage budget (not for the last time) to land. £200k and Felix Horn Mhyre was a Buddie:

Capture4.thumb.JPG.f25cd41ea3a6f6e77410b348b208a980.JPG 

The hunt was on for two more players...a centre forward and a goalkeeper. Samson is getting on a bit and Ross Stewart is attracting interest from both Celtic and Hibs...he's also not quite ready for top level football I feel. I had a rifle through both Norway and Serbia and I thought I had got my man for a bargain at £100k:Capture5.thumb.JPG.d3687f509aa9ab933b5d3b7fa1989d39.JPG

Scuppered by those pesky fuckers at the home office though as he was denied a work permit, so my second choice was Sogndal keeper Mathias Dyngeland  - coming in for a very decent £140k

Capture6.thumb.JPG.cbe1264c1b76368155b66ddfcfe08b37.JPG

It was while looking for a goalkeeper, I happened upon a couple of young, talented footballers in Serbia's U19 squad. One lad stood out quite a bit though and he was being monitored by Lyon, Bordeaux and Sevilla.

With about 800k of my budget remaining and looking at the calibre of clubs with an eye on him, I decided to forego any scouting and go for him based purely on his stats. Red Star wanted £525k to part with him and I decided to take the chance in the hope that no-one of higher quality gazumped me with what is peanuts to them...thankfully no other late bids came and after several tense game days, a failed work permit application and a successful appeal, I brought in Dejan Loveljic and he's erm...hit the ground running so to speak.

Capture7.thumb.JPG.462d0b61547c5132b0babe7ff24993f5.JPG

So there we are...a few 17 year old Irish lads to develop in the reserves, and a couple of free/loan full back and it's off into my first Premier league season where my talented young side have comfortably seen off Dundee and Partick Thistle so far.

Can anyone do me a favour and post a screenshot of David Goodwillie's stats? Looking forward to the first game in years Clyde should actually have a decent player, if he doesn't instantly want away in the game.

I've decided to wait until Christmas to get the game as I'm still playing the new FIFA and, more importantly, Battlefront 2 is out next week so I wouldn't have time to play both.