The Tennents Lager Appreciation Society

Estrella and Innis & Gunn are probably the tip top of what you can expect to get in most decent pubs around here but if I'm out with the lads and don't want to come across as a flash c**t I'll order a T and enjoy the comfort it brings.

It may have been mentioned previously but there was a time when all we could get in Scotland was Tennents or McEwans, then in the early seventies I remember the Co-op stocking bottled Belhaven, now the shelves are stacked with a vast array of beer choice.

When I was in Ben Line in the late sixties onwards the company stocked the ships bar with Tennents only on draught and then on arrival in Singapore we changed out to Tiger for the far east leg and then homeward.

The Japanese beer Kirin was founded by a Fraserburgh man. 

Had 7 or 8 in my local last night, on top of the 5 in town. Was having a discussion with some friends about T. Normally I struggle after 5 or 6 pints of lager and have to switch into spirits, simply due to the volume of liquid involved, but normally when home I find it incredibly easy to still drink vast quantities of T. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but as we are on this thread it is yet more evidence of the positive qualities of Tennents Lager.

16 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

It may have been mentioned previously but there was a time when all we could get in Scotland was Tennents or McEwans, then in the early seventies I remember the Co-op stocking bottled Belhaven, now the shelves are stacked with a vast array of beer choice.

When I was in Ben Line in the late sixties onwards the company stocked the ships bar with Tennents only on draught and then on arrival in Singapore we changed out to Tiger for the far east leg and then homeward.

The Japanese beer Kirin was founded by a Fraserburgh man. 

A Norwegian founded Kirin according to my Norwegian neighbour who's from the same city in Norway?

42 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A Norwegian founded Kirin according to my Norwegian neighbour who's from the same city in Norway?

Your neighbour is wrong, below an extract from Thomas Glover's life.

Glover was a key figure in the industrialisation of Japan, helping to found the shipbuilding company which was later to become the Mitsubishi Corporation of Japan. Negotiating the sale of William Copeland's Spring Valley Brewery in Yokohama, Glover also helped establish the Japan Brewery Company, which later became the major Kirin Brewery Company, Ltd. An urban myth has it that the moustache of the mythical creature featured on Kirin beer labels is in fact a tribute to Glover (who sported a similar moustache)

Glover went to Japan, which at the time was a very closed and secretive country, as a representative of Singapore based Jardine Mathieson, (Scottish), nobody could crack Japan for business but the local Shogun took a liking to young Glover and gave him the go ahead to establish trading.

So as you can see the Brocher was instrumental in founding Mitsubishi and Kirin beer.

Another fact is that he help establish the Japanese Navy, at that time Japan had only small fishing boats so he invited the shipbuilders Hall's of Aberdeen to come out to Nagasaki to build a shipyard and demonstrate to the Japanese how to build larger sea going vessels, the forerunner of Mitsubishi's larger shipyard in Nagasaki, he also sent young Japanese noblemen back to the UK to train with the Royal Navy and study marine warfare, these young men then returned to Japan and founded the Navy which went on to utterly destroy the Russian fleet in 1905 and of course their sons were involved in Pearl Harbour.

I've been at his Nagasaki house a couple of times.

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

Your neighbour is wrong, below an extract from Thomas Glover's life.

Glover was a key figure in the industrialisation of Japan, helping to found the shipbuilding company which was later to become the Mitsubishi Corporation of Japan. Negotiating the sale of William Copeland's Spring Valley Brewery in Yokohama, Glover also helped establish the Japan Brewery Company, which later became the major Kirin Brewery Company, Ltd. An urban myth has it that the moustache of the mythical creature featured on Kirin beer labels is in fact a tribute to Glover (who sported a similar moustache)

Glover went to Japan, which at the time was a very closed and secretive country, as a representative of Singapore based Jardine Mathieson, (Scottish), nobody could crack Japan for business but the local Shogun took a liking to young Glover and gave him the go ahead to establish trading.

So as you can see the Brocher was instrumental in founding Mitsubishi and Kirin beer.

Another fact is that he help establish the Japanese Navy, at that time Japan had only small fishing boats so he invited the shipbuilders Hall's of Aberdeen to come out to Nagasaki to build a shipyard and demonstrate to the Japanese how to build larger sea going vessels, the forerunner of Mitsubishi's larger shipyard in Nagasaki, he also sent young Japanese noblemen back to the UK to train with the Royal Navy and study marine warfare, these young men then returned to Japan and founded the Navy which went on to utterly destroy the Russian fleet in 1905 and of course their sons were involved in Pearl Harbour.

I've been at his Nagasaki house a couple of times.

William Copeland was the Norwegian my neighbour mentioned.  Wiki suggests Spring Valley Brewery was the actual origin of Kirin but it has been known to be wrong!