Smacking Ban

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Here's a real life scenario. Those late lie-ins you're used to are a thing of the past. Your kids are tag-teaming you through the night to the extent you are lucky if you've had more than 2 hours unbroken sleep in a night. This goes on for 3 weeks. Changing pished sheets at 3am and/or mopping up sick at a similar fun hour. Your nerves are shredded but you get to go to work and deal with all the shite that encompasses, then go home and look after kids before facing this endurance test.

Then they won't do as you say, and you try to reason with them, then you try to be firm, then you threaten them with the naughty step, then you keep putting them back on the naughty step when they get up and wander off. Then you snap. It gets easier as they get older but the first few years of parenting are hard work. Smacking is not the answer but it happens sometimes.

Frankly, some of the punters on here seem to live in a vacuum where real life doesn't exist. They also like to pontificate to show what absolutely cracking, model citizens they are, despite the fact that many of them have zero experience of parenting. And then there are the sad sack trolls.

Go to the toilet before you go to bed. That'll solve one of those problems.

Otherwise, stop putting realistic situations on this topic. Stick with the hitting your grandparents and other such examples.

Go to the toilet before you go to bed. That'll solve one of those problems.
Otherwise, stop putting realistic situations on this topic. Stick with the hitting your grandparents and other such examples.

Good advice. Bedwetting can really get in the way of a good nights sleep.

I certainly hope so. Although I won't be around to gloat.
I feel slightly sorry for her own youngsters - there's no lie they can tell, story they can concoct, excuse they can make, stroke they can pull that she won't be able to see through, having been there and done that, and act accordingly.

Probably very similar for my wee one, neither me or her mum were shrinking violets so no doubt all of those things will come back to mind when she starts to go out at night and not come home.

11 hours ago, banana said:

AFAIK, the financial penalty can rise to a few thousand, with criminal record, and potential 3 month jail term. Refusal to pay the fine has been taken as far as the Supreme Court, and the parents lost. At which point they paid up. That's a fucking absurd  and scary series of events for having the temerity of judging whether it's ok to take your kids on holiday.

The point is the restrictions and punishments even being in place, taking responsibility / judgement of care for the child away from the family, and into the hands of the state by default.

The financial penalties and criminal charges you are talking about are penalties for non payment of fines issued by a legal authority, same as if you don't pay your parking ticket, fly tipping fine etc They are not specifically linked to the school absence issue.

When parents enrol a child in school (they don't have to) they are then legally responsible and obliged to ensure the child attends school. It's not a state imposition it's a contract.

The supreme court case ended up in the supreme court as the family took it there.

FWIW I think it's entirely sensible that local authorities have the the power to refer non payment of fines to a criminal court in general but, as is the case in Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland, don't think it is suitable in this circumstance.

If it helps you sleep better at night since June 2016 I have taken my niece out of school for trips away on three occasions for a cumulative total of 7 days and not a word has been said.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Here's a real life scenario. Those late lie-ins you're used to are a thing of the past. Your kids are tag-teaming you through the night to the extent you are lucky if you've had more than 2 hours unbroken sleep in a night. This goes on for 3 weeks. Changing pished sheets at 3am and/or mopping up sick at a similar fun hour. Your nerves are shredded but you get to go to work and deal with all the shite that encompasses, then go home and look after kids before facing this endurance test.

Then they won't do as you say, and you try to reason with them, then you try to be firm, then you threaten them with the naughty step, then you keep putting them back on the naughty step when they get up and wander off. Then you snap. It gets easier as they get older but the first few years of parenting are hard work. Smacking is not the answer but it happens sometimes.

Frankly, some of the punters on here seem to live in a vacuum where real life doesn't exist. They also like to pontificate to show what absolutely cracking, model citizens they are, despite the fact that many of them have zero experience of parenting. And then there are the sad sack trolls.

The siutation you’ve just described absolutely 100% should be illegal. Losing your temper, snapping and smacking a child is fucking despicable behaviour. How utterly devoid of any sort of parenting ability must you be to think that is any way acceptable? It’s genuinely the actions of a vile human being. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

The siutation you’ve just described absolutely 100% should be illegal. Losing your temper, snapping and smacking a child is fucking despicable behaviour. How utterly devoid of any sort of parenting ability must you be to think that is any way acceptable? It’s genuinely the actions of a vile human being. 

You forgot to get Diana in there, tabloid Jimmy.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Maybe you're just a better parent than the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

He takes his anger out on random strangers here rather than his kids. I see no issue here.

Only because he's not got access to his kids until he gets out. ( that's just a wee joke, tabloid Jimmy. Please don't hunt me down and wear my skin)

Hello, Sad Sack Troll.

I would say if you lose your temper and smack your child you absolutely are a poor parent. I find it staggering that anyone would disagree with that. How can anyone seriously think that is an acceptable way to act? 

My daughter tests my patience on an almost hourly basis but it never, ever crosses my mind to use physical violence against a defenceless toddler. 

A child witnessing their parent lose their cool must be terrifying enough but for that to be followed with a smack must break their heart. Why anyone would want to do that their to own child is incomprehensible. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I would say if you lose your temper and smack your child you absolutely are a poor parent. I find it staggering that anyone would disagree with that. How can anyone seriously think that is an acceptable way to act? 

My daughter tests my patience on an almost hourly basis but it never, ever crosses my mind to use physical violence against a defenceless toddler. 

A child witnessing their parent lose their cool must be terrifying enough but for that to be followed with a smack must break their heart. Why anyone would want to do that their to own child is incomprehensible. 

You should run a workshop to share the knowledge of how you stay so calm, calm is how you come across on here, I think we could all learn from you.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

What the World Health Organisation and UNICEF say about the effect of these laws.

Evidence: Observational studies suggest these laws can reduce the use of violent punishment against children, deepen understanding of the negative effects on children of violent punishment, and change attitudes towards the use of such punishment (39–41). Findings from a study comparing five European countries – three of which had bans on corporal punishment and two of which did not – report that nearly all forms of corporal punishment were used less commonly in countries with legal bans than in those without such bans (42). Furthermore, acceptance of corporal punishment was lower in countries with bans on corporal punishment (43). A systematic review also showed that legislative restrictions on corporal punishment in 24 countries were closely associated with decreased support for and use of corporal punishment as a child discipline approach (43). By 2016, nearly 50 countries had prohibited all violent punishment of children, and another 52 had committed to doing so (44).