Celtc v Motherwell | League Cup Final

Mon Dieu

Mainly because Kipre wouldn't have been on the pitch.
Thomson had a terrible game. Two red cards missed and an obvious dive given as a penalty. Not good enough at all.

Not every decision gets reviewed? Or am I wrong? Infact pretty sure the game just carried on, he never gave anything, so he definitely would’ve been.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's a lot of difficulties with introducing video tech. Not as easy as some folk think.

I'd like to see more retrospective punishments for diving.

One of them being that it would still be the same morons making the decision.

There's a lot of difficulties with introducing video tech. Not as easy as some folk think.

I'd like to see more retrospective punishments for diving.

You can’t punish a team after a game like this one. Ireland were cheated out of the World Cup by Henry no ban will make up for them not going to the World Cup. You could ban a player for a year it still won’t make up for losing in a playoff / cup final / title decider.

If video referees work in rugby I see no reason why they can’t in football the referee just need the option to call on it if he’s not sure.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not every decision gets reviewed? Or am I wrong? Infact pretty sure the game just carried on, he never gave anything, so he definitely would’ve been.

The guys upstairs can draw the referee's attention to the fact he's missed a clear red card.

Just now, CambieBud said:

I am prepared to be shot down here, but wasn’t the law changed regarding penalties and red cards? I thought that if a penalty was given, a yellow card was the punishment. I may be wrong

It is, unless the "foul" is given for something that the referee deems intentional. So, despite the fact the "foul" in this instance was anything but, if Thomson is saying Kipre (sp?) pulled him back on purpose  then it's a red.

Fair play to Lennon, called every decision right there and didn't sugarcoat the dive. 

On the VAR, I've seen it used in the MLS and it was an absolute shitshow, although I think that was more to do with the referees than anything else. Seen a few times where they used it and still made horrendous decisions. I've also seen it used very well in Serie A though. In my opinion it's a no brainer.

You can’t punish a team after a game like this one. Ireland were cheated out of the World Cup by Henry no ban will make up for them not going to the World Cup. You could ban a player for a year it still won’t make up for losing in a playoff / cup final / title decider.

If video referees work in rugby I see no reason why they can’t in football the referee just need the option to call on it if he’s not sure.

This is not the thread for this debate but there are a lot of difficulties that need to be ironed out.

And the retrospective ban is not about punishment alone. If it was widely used I think there would be far less diving in the game generally. Players would be more reluctant to go down easily.

Certainly not a perfect solution...but a start.

Penalty was a shocking decision and that been Rangers that had benefitted from that or had that went against Celtic then we'd never hear the end of it.

That said, we can't argue with the result as we were never in the game. Celtic were in second gear throughout but we just couldn't threaten them. They were just too sharp, too strong and their movement and fitness was too much for us.

A disappointing end to a very good Cup run containing two victories which will live with me forever, but as I've said before, I'll take this before any European guff any day of the week.

Archived