Morton v Queens

A good win for us and keeps us ticking along nicely. It is good to see nobody is really opening up a gap at the top too. 

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I said before a ball was kicked that the league would be won this season by the least shit team. No team stood out pre-season as clear title contenders for me.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TONTROOPER said:

Morton players not available for selection today through injury : Kilday / O'Ware / Tidser / McManus / Quitongo  . Lets get things into perspective before demanding the head of the leader.

So we were missing just two creative players yet we were devoid of options to change things in attack when we were clearly getting nowhere and failing to muster a single shot on target for 70 minutes?

Sounds like the manager has abjectly failed to build a balanced squad, then.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

So we were missing just two creative players yet we were devoid of options to change things in attack when we were clearly getting nowhere and failing to muster a single shot on target for 70 minutes?

Why do you go to Morton games? Did you cheer when Morton scored? I can imagine you standing, glowering while wondering what you could whine about had we won!

6 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

O.k....you've convinced me.Lets opt for Plan B.Would everyone who has not yet done so please PANIC NOW.After all....there are only 24 games to go.

Delighted with 3 points. Morton is a tough place to go and come away with 3 points so definitely should be happy with that. Good to be right there with playoff teams though. Marshall back as well was welcome news as we don't have a big squad. If we can get through the season with minimal injuries then I fancy us for top half of the league.

Sounds to me like the manager was missing his best players in defence, midfield and attack.

Was fucking brutal from Duffy today but it's pathetic to try your hardest to paint everything in the same light

28 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Sounds to me like the manager was missing his best players in defence, midfield and attack.

Was fucking brutal from Duffy today but it's pathetic to try your hardest to paint everything in the same light

Missing some important players does not excuse today's performance, or the Falkirk performance, or the two Livingston performances, or the Dumbarton performance, or the first half against Dunfermline. 

Was too far away to see the penalty, didn’t look much in it but Kerr presumably missed the first ball and got the wrong side?

That said, I thought he was immense the rest of the game, just seemed to deal with everything.

I believe there was only one corner each in that game, that must be pretty rare. 

By the end, it felt a relatively comfortable win,albeit when it’s 2-1 you’re always nervous, there was a while we seemed to be sitting back and holding on. 

I would have taken McFadden off before Murray, it’s a shame but in this very tough championship we can’t afford to have someone so far off the pace.

Why did Morton make a sub with minutes left? It just helpfully wasted time, was it an injury?

Yes, we seem to be on a wee run. Some tough games coming up, but if we want to be involved in the play-off push we need to take something from them.

That today was hopefully an indicator of the progress we've made under Naysmith. Since Morton came back up, we've really struggled to break them down at Cappielow and once they've went a goal up, we don't look like getting a goal back. So to turn it around  after a shocking first 20 minutes is testament to the team. I don;t think we were brilliant today but we competed very well and ground out a terrific win

I'm not sure if it was the heavy shower just before kick off or something else but defensively we looked like we could be cut open with ease; missed headers, sclaffed clearances, misjudging the bounce it was looking like a long afternoon. Whilst the penalty looked fairly soft from the other side of the pitch (I assume Kerr clipped McHugh judging by the lack of complaints) but if you are sticking your leg out and the wrong side of the forward then you are asking for trouble. McHugh didn't seem to going anywhere so it's a bad one to give away.  After the early chaos we were the main side looking to do something with possession whilst Morton were either rather pedestrian or went long to a  not very physical front line. We didn't really create all that much with Dykes getting a header narrowly wide and hitting a second ball slightly wide, it felt similar to Dunfermline or Inverness where we would lack a final ball of any real quality to get a clear cut chance. The goal came a little bit out of the blue but fair play to Brownlie for staying up to cause an extra chaos factor and keeping his composure when it came back to him for the knock down and Dobbie playing on instinct is the most dangerous version of him.  From a Morton point of view, a relatively free header and Dobbie unmarked is very poor.

With 3 big defenders, you always back us to get at least one opportunity from a set piece. McFadden didn't have his best afternoon but his long throw offers another dimension to our attack. Gaston did well to save the first effort but again our defenders seem to be lethal in front of goal. After that  with the exception of a jittery period at around 70 minutes Morton looked totally out of ideas, Gary Oliver seemed to getting closer to the corner flag with every effort and Forbes just broke down every move with a shocking cross. Dobbie from 60 yards was more likely to score than any Morton player in the second half.

The back four were terrific once again and limited Morton to potshots from distance. Brownlie had probably his best game this season, Kerr post mistake went back to being a rock at the back. Fordyce did well once against a quicker player.  With the exception of the 3 goals in 12 minutes from the last five minutes of Falkirk and today, we've been a very solid defence over the last run of games.

Dykes wasn't really at the races, just seemed off the pace for the most part which limited or ability to hold up play a bit, Murray aside from a cracking ball to dykes in the first half was quiet, the wee flicks he was trying weren't coming off but he largely kept track of his man and the rough period  in the second half came almost straight after he came off once again. McFadden had his moments of looking really good and others where he looked like a fossilised diddy, a lot of good things that we do come through him so it's a balance. Dobbie seemed to get himself about really well (harsh booking IMO) blocking clearances and chasing loose ends along with the end of game piss taking. If that effort from his own half had went in, I probably would be commissioning the 50ft statue of him right away.

Jacobs seemed desperate for a second booking late on with two fouls straight after getting booked, Rankin was annoying me with a lack of composure to get the ball under control and keep possession. It's safety first I suppose, but a Championship player should be able to manage a game and keep the ball. The play bypassed them a little but they tidied up the second balls well and Rankin's tackle to win the ball in the box was crucial.

I didn't have high hopes this season but it's been a pleasant surprise so far to be a third of the season in and 2 points of the top. I definitely think with such a small squad that there's still rougher spells to come this season but it's a team that competes in most games and that's all you can ask for after 2 seasons of doldrums. 

18 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

That today was hopefully an indicator of the progress we've made under Naysmith. Since Morton came back up, we've really struggled to break them down at Cappielow and once they've went a goal up, we don't look like getting a goal back. So to turn it around  after a shocking first 20 minutes is testament to the team. I don;t think we were brilliant today but we competed very well and ground out a terrific win

Brownlie had probably his best game this season,

I didn't have high hopes this season but it's been a pleasant surprise so far to be a third of the season in and 2 points of the top. I definitely think with such a small squad that there's still rougher spells to come this season but it's a team that competes in most games and that's all you can ask for after 2 seasons of doldrums. 

Said on the way down the road that one of the most encouraging things about today was I didnt think we played very well. Its probably our poorest showing in the League at least since St Mirren (although we were awful at Montrose) and yet despite going a goal down we found a way to win. 

Without detracting from your point that Brownlie had a good game I wouldnt even have said it was his best game this week. He was the best player on the pitch against Falkirk.

To be fair, without often hitting magic heights, we are now 3 defeats from 19 games this season. Away to United and St Mirren and home to Jai Quitongo.

What a great team spirit we had today - every player gave their all and fought for every ball all over the pitch.

Kerr was extremely naive for the penalty - he had to avoid contact at all costs as it would have taken some finish for us to concede from open play. To be fair Kerr put the error behind him and along with his back 4 colleagues was terrific after that.

We have a lot of strengths but we still have to pass the ball better especially when trying to manage a lead. If we could improve our ball retention we could surprise a few people ( including ourselves). We continue to limit teams to very few chances and long may this continue. If we are in contention come Transfer Window we need to recruit an additional midfielder to complement the energy that we already have in there.

Morton were not a bad side and in fact that was a reversal of the first encounter - we didn't deserve to lose at Palmy and it could easily have been a draw today although we had more chances.

If we keep displaying this energy we will not be easily beaten. I said weeks ago that this league was winnable. We will have to show some ambition in forthcoming window if we want to be serious contenders. Some interesting fixtures on the horizon - but that was hugely encouraging.

Do people think Dykes is a better partner with Dobbie than Kane?,Presuming that Lyle is the 'Super sub'

I have been impressed with Dykes recently especially last week but today wasn't his best

Also would like to see Stirling get more of a chance,Today our wide players didn't do a lot(albeit majority of game they were defending)

Good to win when we maybe didn't deserve to for once

On to TNS!

Purple head on the verge of a meltdown......pleasing:lol:

How the hell has poor Gammy got such a negative rep? Nothing to do with me guv. I'll give him a greenie as he gave me one recently which I was not expecting.

Where is the old queen Virgin with his pics of Salmond, chefs and trains?:blink:

Archived