Stenhousemuir -vs- Clyde

I didn't think there was much in the last game between the sides. Stenny had the better of the first half with us playing a diabolically defensive side (a flat back five with Miller in midfield dropping in to pick up the ball and try and set up attacks for our remaining 4 outfield players). Second half we brought on Burbidge and had a better threat in wide areas, with their wide midfielders tucking in and not offering much cover. Missed a couple of half-decent late chances to win the game.

It was the game where we've probably looked least likely to score though overall, but I'd also say it was Goodwillie's worst game by a mile. It'll be interesting to see if we play him off Osolador again tomorrow as Stenny won't have anyone as smart as McGovern in that position.

My prediction is a battling 1-0 defeat, our first '0' of the season, but plenty of positives to take from a stuffier performance. Nicoll suspended is a blow solely because we now only have Cuddihy and Ramsay to play in midfield; it is a good piece of news in every other way. Breslin hopefully won't be back in despite Duffie's injury. Fergie being injured again kind of sums him up to be honest; he'd have probably been due to start.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David W said:

I didn't think there was much in the last game between the sides. Stenny had the better of the first half with us playing a diabolically defensive side (a flat back five with Miller in midfield dropping in to pick up the ball and try and set up attacks for our remaining 4 outfield players). Second half we brought on Burbidge and had a better threat in wide areas, with their wide midfielders tucking in and not offering much cover. Missed a couple of half-decent late chances to win the game.

It was the game where we've probably looked least likely to score though overall, but I'd also say it was Goodwillie's worst game by a mile. It'll be interesting to see if we play him off Osolador again tomorrow as Stenny won't have anyone as smart as McGovern in that position.

My prediction is a battling 1-0 defeat, our first '0' of the season, but plenty of positives to take from a stuffier performance. Nicoll suspended is a blow solely because we now only have Cuddihy and Ramsay to play in midfield; it is a good piece of news in every other way. Breslin hopefully won't be back in despite Duffie's injury. Fergie being injured again kind of sums him up to be honest; he'd have probably been due to start.

Nicoll suspended is a blow FFS words fail me on that comment and sounds like your not happy that Duffie is missing must be because he's been so good in our outstanding defensive displays against Montrose, Peterhead, and Elgin

Keeping it stuffy is the closest we'll get to points. We could've ten in midfield and still not boss it. Same approach as last time would be fine. Stick Smart wide left and bring Gormley in beside Goodie, give the Dunlops a challenge for a change; Smart can't be depended on to make it hard for them. He and Goodwillie were anonymised last time out.

I'd go: McGregor, Weir, Papac, Whittaker, Bougherra, Davis, Edu, Weiss, Wylde, Jelavic, Lafferty.

Never a penalty.
Only the linesman thought it was.
Clyde are still a shambles defensively.
We haven't stopped one cross. Every cross into our box is creating mayhem.
Our midfield is way of the pace. Wright has been a man down.
On the positive side, Currie has played well.

Under the cosh absolutely. Lots and lots of crosses. Lowden is out of his depth centrally and Ramsay has been equally culpable the other side. Goodwillie hasn't held the ball up once. Need to go to a back four.

Currie has been outstanding and Cuddihy and Home have played well. The rest are trying and we're obviously trying to pass the ball more but Stenny should be 2 or 3 up.

Game of the proverbials today. First half we were utterly dominated and if it wasn’t for Blair the game would have been done. He’s got to take a lot of confidence from his performance today.

Second half we showed some real fight and balls to get back In to it and were the better team second half. Just the decision making at crucial times cost us in attack. Point probably fair all in but a lot to take from the second half performance.

I heard, from the terrace, the same supporters calling for us to move to a four as I did roughly three months back. What is it about shipping three or four goals every week that makes you think we could use one less defender!? And what is it about our paceless, gingerly and mostly inexperienced pool of defenders that makes you think they'd fair better with more space round-about them. Are you all fucking mad!? 

In any case, our manager had the sense to keep to the only approach that threatens points for us in any match: stuffiness-with-numbers,  plus Goodwillie. Of course, it took us the interval to really turn our minds to it. But irrespective of how often we were opened up by Stenny, we conceded only a single goal, and off the back of a strange decision, too.

Stenny were quick out the traps first-half. And we couldn't keep the ball for a moment. Our midfield was ran-over, as usual, and between McNiff, Home and Munro there was little communication and a number of mistakes which we were lucky, and nothing else, to get away with. Wright, too, struggled on the flank.

But after the break we matched Stenny. Snarling in midfield, where we hadn't before, and dominating aerial contests at the back. Osadolor was introduced at a good time and became the awkward customer we know and, from time to time, love. Cuddihy and Ramsay carried the ball better than in the first half and Goodie and Gormley enjoyed more possession. Not a lot, but enough to get one back. Which is all that matters.

A point away against a well organised, successful Stenny side? I'm happy with that. Stops the rot. Make no mistake though. It's going to be hard going until we fix the midfield and get some experience in at the back. We should keep the 3-5-2/5-3-2 until January, it's as good as we'll get. Once the window comes around, we can look to fix a problem that'll only be fixed with new players.

Fair play to the lads and interim management today - they fought for the point and made a very welcome gesture at the end, coming over to build rapport with a beleaguered support sometimes characterised as "nasty". Actually, we're no more nasty than any other support. We've just seen too much shite over the years. Get it sorted, bring the good times back.

Proverbial game of two halves. First half we should have been out of sight with 4 or 5 goals. Clyde keeper had some good saves, we were given a dodgy penalty and denied one a short time later when the keeper took out Mr Goals. Second half we were never in the hunt and congrats to Clyde for coming back into the game and doing enough to secure a point. 

The second half performace must cause Bomber great concern and requires to be rectified. We only have plan A at the moment and desperately need Plan B. That really was an inexcusable drop of points today.

What was the carry on with th Clyde fans behind the goal which caused the police to attnd?

Archived