The "Stupid Questions You Have Been Asked" thread

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The whole ‘Scottish people speaking English’ thing needs to be put into perspective,

If you asked a number of Scottish people what language people spoke in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico what do you think the answers would be?  

BTW these are just random examples.

Spantogese?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many years ago i Phoned up to order some stuff from my catalogue and as usual after ordering the lady tells me I have some "special offers" on my account today.
1st she asks me if I would like the England football shirt at only £40? "I'm Scottish" comes my reply. 
Next she asks if I would like the England tracksuit at £60? "Still Scottish" I reply.
The 1st was bad enough asking a guy who clearly sounds Scottish and is from Scotland but the fact she didn't listen to my 1st reply shows these people really are on autopilot.
I will stick to online shopping.

Or she was just a woman

5 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Many years ago i Phoned up to order some stuff from my catalogue and as usual after ordering the lady tells me I have some "special offers" on my account today.

1st she asks me if I would like the England football shirt at only £40? "I'm Scottish" comes my reply. 

Next she asks if I would like the England tracksuit at £60? "Still Scottish" I reply.

The 1st was bad enough asking a guy who clearly sounds Scottish and is from Scotland but the fact she didn't listen to my 1st reply shows these people really are on autopilot.

I will stick to online shopping.

You should have said "I'm not a *** "

15 minutes ago, bigdel6cans said:

I have a shop and on a daily basis when i answer the phone i get asked "are you open ?"

They probably think you might be still in bed upstairs with the door locked, as usual.

Sort your shop out or it will die like rangers

Never gonna happen LD, 1st my customer service is outa this world ( why i dont shout down the phone "well im anwsering the freekin phone, so yes im freekin open" 2nd having lived through save the jags i know how to keep the things i love alive [emoji4]

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Scotland doesn't have an identity in it's own right.
We had the chance to become a sovereign state and be something in the world and the 'whit aboot ma pension' types shat it.

For evermore we'll be part of England or "something to do with Ireland".

Heaven forbid that those who are unable to improve their financial position should throw caution to the wind so (seeing as how we're generalising) the young who will have years to sort their finances can get their wee moment. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The whole ‘Scottish people speaking English’ thing needs to be put into perspective,

If you asked a number of Scottish people what language people spoke in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico what do you think the answers would be?  

BTW these are just random examples.

Yup, I dig the Gaelic signs on the lowland railways stations trying to reinvent history. :lol:

Right, I'll put my tin hat on then...... 

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

Yup, I dig the Gaelic signs on the lowland railways stations trying to reinvent history. :lol:

Right, I'll put my tin hat on then...... 

It's a valid point (though not the one I was making) Gaelic was only ever spoken by a very small percentage of Scots in defined geographical locations.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It's a valid point (though not the one I was making) Gaelic was only ever spoken by a very small percentage of Scots in defined geographical locations.

I know mate, I was on a roll though. :P

I agree with you that there's no point getting 'precious' about how we think others might perceive us while being equally ignorant of others.

56 minutes ago, bigdel6cans said:

I have a shop and on a daily basis when i answer the phone i get asked "are you open ?"

Used to work in a bank that opened Saturday mornings, and the favourite regular customer statement after I answered the phone was "ah, I didn't think you'd be open"

wtf did you phone then?

Going back to the daft Yanks, one of my primary school teachers used to tell the story of a holiday in the States where he was asked "if they had television is Scatlan'" and how pleased he was with himself for telling the woman that "Madam, a Scotsman invented the television". 

For the sake of clarity, I'm not 12, this happened in the late 70's (the decade, I'm not THAT slow a learner).  

Archived