Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

2 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

Think it was The Sun after the smoking ban came in?

Tried googling it but nothing much came up apart from someone referencing it on some defunct forum, claiming it said he had "117 Fags & 7 Lucozades" one day!

Aye, that sounds about right. Credit where it's due, you have to hand it to the guy for being able to make the average Scottish football fan think "Christ, that is not a healthy diet!"

Did Brooks Mileson not have a short-lived (take that however way you wish) column in the Daily Record at one point? I seem to recall it was a "Day in the Life" thing focused primarily on the 80+ cigarettes and numberless bottles of Lucozade he went through on a daily basis. I also remember him being weirdly proud that it was all he ever consumed for sustenance. Someone please tell me that I haven't just imagined this

Was it not on the run up to the final? Had a daily tally of how much cigerettes and lucozades he was consuming, I definitely remember that.

13 hours ago, Blackbirdonthewire said:

Smoking over a hundred fags a day and drinking litres of Lucozade. That really is living the dream to be fair.

Was he already on the way out at that stage?

15 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Was it not on the run up to the final? Had a daily tally of how much cigerettes and lucozades he was consuming, I definitely remember that.

Yeah, that's the one! If he was still on the go Kris Boyd and Barry Ferguson would probably be tipping him for the Rangers' dietician/fitness coach position

Smoking 100 cigarettes a day is hugely impressive.

Assuming you are awake between 7am and 11pm that’s smoking a cigarette every ten minutes or so, maybe a little less. But say you spend an hour a day eating (15 mins for breakfast and lunch, 30for dinner) then you re going to have to smoke even more. Assuming you spend time in public places where you can’t smoke (offices, cafes, restaurants etc) that would drive the number even higher. Then you consider how long it takes to smoke a cigarette -he’d basically have to be smoking all the time when he wasn’t eating or otherwise unable to smoke.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Smoking 100 cigarettes a day is hugely impressive.

Assuming you are awake between 7am and 11pm that’s smoking a cigarette every ten minutes or so, maybe a little less. But say you spend an hour a day eating (15 mins for breakfast and lunch, 30for dinner) then you re going to have to smoke even more. Assuming you spend time in public places where you can’t smoke (offices, cafes, restaurants etc) that would drive the number even higher. Then you consider how long it takes to smoke a cigarette -he’d basically have to be smoking all the time when he wasn’t eating or otherwise unable to smoke.

He didn't eat and smoking ban in public wasn't in place or strictly enforced when he was around.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I was too young to really know too much about Gretna’s sudden rise up the leagues, and we were never in the same league as them (only played them once in a League Cup game or something, on a Tuesday night, down in Gretna). I do remember them being in the SPL though, and that they had just appeared out of nowhere over the last couple of years, with absolutely no idea about any of the stuff (some hilarious, some infuriating) that had taken place in the build-up to their success.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread though, and although a lot of it flew way over my head at the time, for some reason I remember the whole fags and coffee (or at least I thought it was coffee, sounds like it was Lucozade) every morning, in fact it’s still the first thing my brother remembers when Gretna are mentioned. Mileson sounded like both a fantasist and a complete fud of the highest order. I’m glad the whole thing ended as fucking humiliatingly as it did for them. f**k them.

I'm almost certain I can remember a collective wankfest taking place on Sportscene or whatever it was at the time, from which i have vivid meories of Pat Nevin lauding the business acumen of Mileson investing so heavily since there was a big potential catchment area in Carlisle that Gretna could seek to attract.

I mean i normally like Nevin as a pundit but he was a wee bit off on that one...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

How many Gretna 'fans' were at the Scottish Cup final in 2006? A couple of reports say the attendance was 51,000 but no mention of the crowd split. 

How many Gretna 'fans' were at the Scottish Cup final in 2006? A couple of reports say the attendance was 51,000 but no mention of the crowd split. 

Was around 10,000, Hearts sold nearly 33,000 and the rest was suits.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was around 10,000, Hearts sold nearly 33,000 and the rest was suits.

Fucking mental when you look at their league attendances.