Dunfermline vs Dumbarton 25/11/17

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from two smashing goals, if there was one thing that impressed me today it was how quite a few players have improved since the last time the teams met. That day Scott Gallacher had a 'mare, Dowie looked totally finished and I was willing Hutton into getting sent off.

Today all three did well. The clean sheets have evidently boosted Gallacher's confidence, and he was far more proactive than before. Dowie looked fairly solid, won plenty in the air, and only occasionally charged out of position, and Hutton was decent enough again. He's started winning 50/50s a bit, which I like,  and his passing really can be decent. Given a bit of time he very rarely gives the ball away.

The SeaGal came onto a game too. Sure he still runs out of play too often, and his final ball isn't great, but he's decent defensively, hardworking and deceptively good in the air. Quiet how he steered the ball into the path of Walsh for the first I don't quite know. Is he good enough to be a regular starter at this level? Meh. I suspect we'll start with Froxy, Walsh and Handling when they're all fit - but as back up he's something a bit different.

He actually looked decent enough up top for 10 minutes or so too I thought. Certainly better than Morrison who, as others have said, really needs to work his way up from a lower level. Playing upfront for us is a difficult task for an experienced striker - but Morrison is nowhere near ready to play in the Championship. He looks like an U20s playing with senior pros for the first time. Nobody can deny he works hard, but that aside I'd be shocked (and pretty disappointed) if he was still with us come the end of January.

Was Hutton your number 12 today? I thought he was lucky to stay on the park. Not bad fouls but on a booking he pulled a player back.

The ref seemed lenient in respect to deliberate pulls and time wasting. I'm not saying it effected the game much but if he went off I don't think Froxy would have came on and scored that screamer.

As for AJ he needs to look closer to home and pay more respect to a side who have been playing at a higher level than us for a few years.

Was Hutton your number 12 today? I thought he was lucky to stay on the park. Not bad fouls but on a booking he pulled a player back.
The ref seemed lenient in respect to deliberate pulls and time wasting. I'm not saying it effected the game much but if he went off I don't think Froxy would have came on and scored that screamer.
As for AJ he needs to look closer to home and pay more respect to a side who have been playing at a higher level than us for a few years.

That was Sam Wardrop. I too thought he was lucky to stay on as it was a very blatant tug back. He’s been good this season but struggled a bit physically today.

Hutton was the Lanky guy in the middle of the park. Has improved massively recently to be fair to him.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Ooft. That's attrocious patter from him.

The type of insulting drivel I'd expect from Ray McKinnon or Peter Houston. Nae offence to the Pars (who I rate highly despite today's performance and who have decent fans) but we've been playing at this level longer they have. I don't think anyone should expect to 'blow us away'. We've beaten better teams than Dunfermline away from home over the last 6 seasons.

I strongly get the feeling that he's had some sort of rift with Aitken, as he normally doesn't say anything remotely interesting pre or post match. He also got miffed when the guy suggested Dumbarton would feel like it was a loss, saying "they weren't that good". Even if Dumbarton produced the worst performance in the history of football, they were still 2-1 up with minutes to go, so of course they're going to feel gutted.

I think AJ knows we have to go to United and St Mirren in December, with a potentially tricky home game against Queens in the middle. We've already got one win in seven and the way we've been playing, it would surprise absolutely nobody for that to quickly become one win in ten.

He's maybe not shoogly peg territory yet but we need much better results and much better performances over the coming weeks.

The difference in organisation, teamwork and tactics between the two teams was unreal today. Every Dumbarton player knew the job they had to do and played for each other, much like how Aitkens Stranraer team would perform against us in the lower leagues. Compare that to how we play we look like a group of individuals, wingers coming into central areas constantly, long punts to a seventeen year old. We generally look like a disorganised bunch of players rather than playing as a unit. Can see why Killie fans couldn't stand AJ, awful performances every week in a setup that isn't suiting us and he is either choosing to stand by this out of arrogance or, more likely, he is too incompetent to realise it isn't working and hasn't for months. 

Credit to Dumbarton I would love a group of players who compete and play as they do and they deserved more than a point. 

For me the peg is very much shoogling. This is his squad and I honestly wouldn't trust him to recruit sufficiently in January after the action in the last transfer window. 

Has anyone mentioned the standard of referee changing rooms yet? 

38 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I strongly get the feeling that he's had some sort of rift with Aitken, as he normally doesn't say anything remotely interesting pre or post match. He also got miffed when the guy suggested Dumbarton would feel like it was a loss, saying "they weren't that good". Even if Dumbarton produced the worst performance in the history of football, they were still 2-1 up with minutes to go, so of course they're going to feel gutted.

I think AJ knows we have to go to United and St Mirren in December, with a potentially tricky home game against Queens in the middle. We've already got one win in seven and the way we've been playing, it would surprise absolutely nobody for that to quickly become one win in ten.

He's maybe not shoogly peg territory yet but we need much better results and much better performances over the coming weeks.

Livingston away as well

1 minute ago, All-Star-Par said:

The difference in organisation, teamwork and tactics between the two teams was unreal today. Every Dumbarton player knew the job they had to do and played for each other, much like how Aitkens Stranraer team would perform against us in the lower leagues. Compare that to how we play we look like a group of individuals, wingers coming into central areas constantly, long punts to a seventeen year old. We generally look like a disorganised bunch of players rather than playing as a unit. Can see why Killie fans couldn't stand AJ, awful performances every week in a setup that isn't suiting us and he is either choosing to stand by this out of arrogance or, more likely, he is too incompetent to realise it isn't working and hasn't for months. 

Credit to Dumbarton I would love a group of players who compete and play as they do and they deserved more than a point. 

For me the peg is very much shoogling. This is his squad and I honestly wouldn't trust him to recruit sufficiently in January after the action in the last transfer window. 

Has anyone mentioned the standard of referee changing rooms yet? 

Arrogance against who? He's improved the team in the first two seasons. If we finish 4th or above he'll have done it this season too. He's clearly not incompetent or else he would have failed to win League 1 and finish 5th last season. Also despite your comments we didn't actually lose today. A draw at home against a side we beat 0-4 earlier is disappointing and poor, but its hardly a dreadful result.

We've hit a bad patch of form but we've shown already that we're a decent team.

Everyone knows central midfield is a weak area, so hopefully the manager will look to try and sort that in January.

He's made mistakes but its frankly ludicrous to be saying he's on a shoogly peg at this stage.

48 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Livingston away as well

Arrogance against who? He's improved the team in the first two seasons. If we finish 4th or above he'll have done it this season too. He's clearly not incompetent or else he would have failed to win League 1 and finish 5th last season. Also despite your comments we didn't actually lose today. A draw at home against a side we beat 0-4 earlier is disappointing and poor, but its hardly a dreadful result.

We've hit a bad patch of form but we've shown already that we're a decent team.

Everyone knows central midfield is a weak area, so hopefully the manager will look to try and sort that in January.

He's made mistakes but its frankly ludicrous to be saying he's on a shoogly peg at this stage.

Since we beat brechin we have won one in seven, that's more than a bad patch. And yes we all know midfield is an issue so why was this issue not addressed pre season by the manager? To go into a season with Nat and Splaine as our only out and out central midfielders is incompetent.

Correct we didn't lose today or against Morton and we beat Queens Park but if that's the level of performances you're willing to accept and you think we will make top four with them then you're deluded. We are really rather awful to watch recently and we've been sussed by every manager now and from his two and a bit seasons in charge I genuinely don't think AJ has any kind of plan B to turn it around. Just my opinion of course but no one can deny we are brutal and boring to watch. 

A worrying stat, Falkirk have been the laughing stock of the league but since that game in Brechin we have only picked up a single point more than them. Only have to look at Rovers last year to see how quickly we could fall away. 

We were woeful today, but credit has to go to Dumbarton who were excellent at shape, organisation and pressing well.  When things aren’t going well for you then facing that kind of team is always a potential banana skin.

i don’t think AJs comments are out of order. Considering the squad he’s got and the fact we are full time and have a good record against them, we should be beating Dumbarton at home.  Don’t think that’s offensive at all - just very honest.  I do think he’s wrong in saying they didn’t deserve to win though, for me it looked early doors that Dumbarton were going to get a result and we’d be lucky to get a point.

sheils and Aird were awful today.  Higgy too, but at least with him you can sometimes get a bit of brilliance even when he’s having a bad game.  Smith should not be starting, he’s still very young and doesn’t have the physicality at this level yet to make the required impact.  We need to give Clark better service.

dont think there’s any danger of AJ getting the boot, yet.  Next 3 games showing a poor return of points may force that hand though.

Archived