Missing Argentine Sub

TheCelt67

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/argentina-submarine-latest-news-missing-crew-death-fears-oxygen-supply-a8070466.html

Not looking good for the crew.  Certainly for me, this would be up there amongst the worst ways to die.  Not sure about where this will sit with the Facebook grief junkies in regards to Argentina flags on profile pictures or if we've still to be sore at them about the Falklands.

Tbh they dont have Zen Archer with them telling his Jim Davidson esq jokes.

On a more serious note, Im an ex submariner and yes, its a horrible thought to be in that situation.  Hope they guys (and lass) get rescued safely.

2 minutes ago, Addie said:

Tbh they dont have Zen Archer with them telling his Jim Davidson esq jokes.

On a more serious note, Im an ex submariner and yes, its a horrible thought to be in that situation.  Hope they guys (and lass) get rescued safely.

Since this must be an anticipated if unexpected eventuality in any submarine, however low the risk, do they have any high strength valium or something to dole out when it looks like the end? Might keep the oxygen going a bit longer. Horrible place to be and hope they survive, but it would come just below dying on an upper floor of a tower block fire after the exits are blocked.

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Since this must be an anticipated if unexpected eventuality in any submarine, however low the risk, do they have any high strength valium or something to dole out when it looks like the end? Might keep the oxygen going a bit longer. Horrible place to be and hope they survive, but it would come just below dying on an upper floor of a tower block fire after the exits are blocked.

I dont know about those types of boats as they are diesel engines I think, but our ones have two escape tanks.  You can literary place yourself in a pressured tank and you  shot up to the surface.  Frankly I dont fancy that - the nitrogen in your blood builds up and you would get 'the bends' for one.  We trained in Portsmouth for that eventuality.  Thi svideo may be (or may not) be of interest.

As for the meds - unsure tbh.  Id be inclined to crack open the cans of beer in all honesty.

14 minutes ago, Addie said:

As for the meds - unsure tbh.  Id be inclined to crack open the cans of beer in all honesty

I'm disgusted that Royal Navy submariners are allowed to drink beer, some in control of nuclear weapons and engines and such. In my day they were given a mere bottle of rum a day, and thankful for it I tell you.

7 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Being fired out of a failed submarine like a torpedo is only mildly less horrifying than being on a submarine in the first place, thanks.

Its actually good fun, I know that's hard to believe but after you do your first 'practice' run from 9 metres you get confident that it works. They stopped doing it a good few years back, the 'tank' is still there and you do non pressurised refreshers but no practice escapes. 

Most submariners will have been in some 'iffy' situations if they've been doing it for a while, there's a lot of scope for things to go wrong. You don't have time to think about things in an emergency although I daresay the whole hanging around waiting to die/be rescued would be pretty grim I guess, thankfully I've not had to do that bit. As Addie says, time to crack the cans, that lassie might have a few sore bits too. :o

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Britain has sent a plane to help look for it. You get so accustomed to us sending planes to bomb the f**k out of poor far away people it was a shock to hear us doing something nice. 

Especially those corn beef munchers. Grrrr etc.

Archived