The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's not faux outrage.

It's actual, justified outrage.

We live in a society still riven by sectarianism, and the Old Firm are heavily embroiled in the even worse forms of it in Northern Ireland. Rangers choosing an orange strip makes it so much worse in so many ways. The single worst part of it is that it lends credibility to sectarianism in the eyes of those who are influenced by it. It's a nod to them that hey, we all hate the kaffliks really. 

Neither half of the Old Firm has done nearly enough to tackle sectarianism, but Rangers have, in several ways and on several occasions, positively encouraged it.

This doesn't belong on the banter page though, because there's f**k all funny about it. People get seriously hurt. And if you try to laugh it off, you're absolutely part of the problem.

Are you surprised when the person you're quoting accepts racism and glorified child abuse? That the absolute fucking mutant is still allowed to post on here is a joke.

25 minutes ago, Les Westander of County said:

BBC news has Joey Barton's endorsement for Steven Gerrard:

Joey Barton is backing Steven Gerrard to be a success at Rangers because "slow, plodding midfielders tend to be good managers".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44359100

So it seems he doesnt say anything remotely like this about Gerrard. Between this and the "Killie will win the league headline" from a couple of weeks ago it seems the BBC are plqying up to Daily Express levels of clickbait.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's not faux outrage.

It's actual, justified outrage.

We live in a society still riven by sectarianism, and the Old Firm are heavily embroiled in the even worse forms of it in Northern Ireland. Rangers choosing an orange strip makes it so much worse in so many ways. The single worst part of it is that it lends credibility to sectarianism in the eyes of those who are influenced by it. It's a nod to them that hey, we all hate the kaffliks really. 

Neither half of the Old Firm has done nearly enough to tackle sectarianism, but Rangers have, in several ways and on several occasions, positively encouraged it.

This doesn't belong on the banter page though, because there's f**k all funny about it. People get seriously hurt. And if you try to laugh it off, you're absolutely part of the problem.

It is a method of distraction at this point.

No commercial person in their right mind would see it as a good long term commercial decision but that is not how GR are operating with the current owners. 

It certainly seems that the last two directors resigning has led to a not a care in the wothe or staunchness from Ibrox.

I suppose by now they have figured out that there is no super hero with “investment” willing to piss away their money on them. Take the short term commercial decision and bleed from the stone.

23 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

Celtic spent over 70 million on running the entire organisation. 500 or so staff, not quite the same thing as spending it on a team of 25 or so players. Theres your difference.

What's amusing though is how uncomfortable the Celtic fans on here are about their own success.  They are in the pink financially and achieving plenty on the park.  Rather than laugh at Dingwall's comments they get all huffy and start a thread.  Quite clearly, their comfort zone includes:

The fake news story like the Gerrard Pro License fiasco
The Edinburgh Costco vodka wifey
Rangers' orange tops

Give them a story which highlights how successful they are and which is basically complimentary towards them and they haven't a clue how to deal with it.  Give them an ill-researched piece of gossip which may possibly be defamatory towards Rangers and they are all over it like a B-List divorced American actress with a ginger English prince.

30 minutes ago, MagicBeans said:

It is a method of distraction at this point.

No commercial person in their right mind would see it as a good long term commercial decision but that is not how GR are operating with the current owners. 

It certainly seems that the last two directors resigning has led to a not a care in the wothe or staunchness from Ibrox.

I suppose by now they have figured out that there is no super hero with “investment” willing to piss away their money on them. Take the short term commercial decision and bleed from the stone.

It's a just a rumoured strip, surely there must be more important things in your life to get worked up about.

49 minutes ago, bennett said:

It's a just a rumoured strip, surely there must be more important things in your life to get worked up about.

Honestly I don’t really care. It’s a good short term commercial decision for the club, I have no doubt about that. But very few objective persons will tell you having an association with “Orange” culture is a good idea.

I personally think Rangers can do a good job of global branding themselves as a “British” club through the use of the UJ. The mid 90s jerseys were always decent. Branding yourself in Orange is appealing to the hardcore and fair enough, but it isn’t going to make Rangers more desirable abroad.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by MagicBeans

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

So it seems he doesnt say anything remotely like this about Gerrard. Between this and the "Killie will win the league headline" from a couple of weeks ago it seems the BBC are plqying up to Daily Express levels of clickbait.

If you read the whole article, it is exactly  what  Barton says about Gerrard.

23 minutes ago, MagicBeans said:

Honestly I don’t really care. It’s a good short term commercial decision for the club, I have no doubt about that. But very few objective persons will tell you having an association with “Orange” culture is a good idea.

I personally think Rangers can do a good job of global branding themselves as a “British” club through the use of the UJ. The mid 90s jerseys were always decent. Branding yourself in Orange is appealing to the hardcore and fair enough, but it isn’t going to make Rangers more desirable abroad.

Just my opinion of course.

Good that you don't care about it, anyone who did have an issue with a rumoured strip colour would be quite petty.

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you read the whole article, it is exactly  what  Barton says about Gerrard.

I can't see a direct quote from him where he says Gerrard was a plodder. Must be missing it.

7 hours ago, Jdog said:

Calm down hen, she's a bellend for going to the press, but the 2 staff members in a members only club saying their offended selling it and refusing to touch it is equally pathetic, can see them getting demoted or worse for that.

So that's what the great Costco scandal is all about, if I had a membership those bottles wouldn't be easy to find.

5 hours ago, bennett said:

" Actual justified outrage" over a football strips colour.....

Rangers have, in several ways and on several occasions, positively encouraged it." I'm sure that you can provide examples?

You're an awfy intolerant chap Gordy.

Folk that moan about intolerance of bigotry are like the myriad racist arseholes on Twitter complaining that their freedom of speech has been curtailed because they're not allowed to call a black person a ****** any more.

Of course I'm intolerant of sectarianism. You're supposed to be intolerant of mindless hate.

27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Folk that moan about intolerance of bigotry are like the myriad racist arseholes on Twitter complaining that their freedom of speech has been curtailed because they're not allowed to call a black person a ****** any more.

Of course I'm intolerant of sectarianism. You're supposed to be intolerant of mindless hate.

You forgot to back up your earlier claims Gordy, I'm sure that was just an oversight and that you'll sort it out in your next post.

9 minutes ago, bennett said:

You forgot to back up your earlier claims Gordy, I'm sure that was just an oversight and that you'll sort it out in your next post.

You must be fucking joking.

Aye, and the Earth is flat too bud.

59 minutes ago, GordonS said:

We are like two peas in the same pod, young Gordon.  Will you join me in condemning the use of The H word on P&B?  .Our campaign could use someone with your commitment to the cause

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

We are like two peas in the same pod, young Gordon.  Will you join me in condemning the use of The H word on P&B?  .Our campaign could use someone with your commitment to the cause

Nice try.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Nice try.

Will you or will you not?  You seem intolerant of 'mindless hate' and are clearly disturbed by ' a society still riven by sectarianism,'

So why not take a stance on hate speech and join with us to excise The H Word from P&B?

If you don't then you are simply another mindless diddy who likes to rant about a particular colour of football shirts.

Edited by The_Kincardine