Blacking up

DA Baracus

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Context and history seem to be alien terms to some unbelievably thick motherfuckers on here.

Why would you expect everyone to know everyone else's history, I can't even remember my Scottish history being taught to me in school.

Why would you expect everyone to know everyone else's history, I can't even remember my Scottish history being taught to me in school.

The slave trade is usually vaguely familiar to literally everyone over the age of about 12.

Just now, NotThePars said:

The slave trade is usually vaguely familiar to literally everyone over the age of about 12.

That doesn't mean that everyone associates it with blacking up, blacking up and racism have far more of an association in America than shows like The Black & White Minstrel Show here.

Most people including those that like to think of themselves as highly intelligent hardly get past the headlines of anything they read, so it doesn't really surprise me  when I hear people with inaccurate views of subjects.

Our subconscious has a far bigger impact on what what we do or say than we want to admit.

I’m just glad Christmas is out the way, so we can return to this important debate.

I’m sad that the racists have ‘blacking up’. I’m taking it back! Going to the pub today blacked up. If footballers can do it, it’s only a matter of time until the general public get involved! Look at tattoos!

What’s the best thing to black up with? Shoe polish seems messy and hard to remove.

Porch Monkey 4 Life.

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That doesn't mean that everyone associates it with blacking up, blacking up and racism have far more of an association in America than shows like The Black & White Minstrel Show here.

Most people including those that like to think of themselves as highly intelligent hardly get past the headlines of anything they read, so it doesn't really surprise me  when I hear people with inaccurate views of subjects.

Our subconscious has a far bigger impact on what what we do or say than we want to admit.

Image result for brick tamland gif

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I have literally no idea what the third and potentially the second paragraph are trying to say about this subject or their relevance.

When I see headlines on the internet for example, I click on the ones I'm interested in and read the whole article, I just read the other headlines and as I'm not interested in them I let them go, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that my subconscious doesn't pick up on the uninteresting headlines and file them away in my darker recesses.

Personally I think Brexit highlights it pretty well, millions of people voting on the basis of headlines that didn't exactly have much fact attached to them.

Yet you chose to focus on a tiny part of the history of slavery. Could this be because its 'fashionable' ????

No it's 1. because the size of the Atlantic slave trade dwarfed any other slavery project in the raw numbers and the level of planning and it had an undoubtedly greater influence on the modern world in a way no other slave holding project in history had and 2. because the states that engaged in the Atlantic slave trade have a direct traceable existence and lineage down to the present day that they continue to benefit from. How would you propose that we exact reparations from Saracen raiders or the Roman Empire?

Suggesting that people only engage with this because it's fashionable highlights that you have no ability to genuinely care about the issue hence why you accuse people that do care of faking it.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No it's 1. because the size of the Atlantic slave trade dwarfed any other slavery project in the raw numbers and the level of planning and it had an undoubtedly greater influence on the modern world in a way no other slave holding project in history had and 2. because the states that engaged in the Atlantic slave trade have a direct traceable existence and lineage down to the present day that they continue to benefit from. How would you propose that we exact reparations from Saracen raiders or the Roman Empire?

Suggesting that people only engage with this because it's fashionable highlights that you have no ability to genuinely care about the issue hence why you accuse people that do care of faking it.

Not interested in the fashionable argument but why are the numbers the most important reason?

There are plenty of other slave trades that were numbered in the millions.

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Archived