Blacking up

DA Baracus

2 hours ago, chomp my root said:

Not exactly a great anaology but you seem desperate to keep this going.  

If someone is desperate to feel guilt for something horrible that happened in the past then that's up to them, personally I don't try and claim any reflected glory for tarmac, the TV or penicillin, equally I don't feel any guilt for the slave trade. That's any of it, whether it was Romans, Arabs or the British Empire. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about the shit my ancestors had to put up with because they were Oirish either, its ancient history. People have been horrible cvnts since day one, they still are.

It's a weird one. You can go on Jack the Ripper guided walks but people would be outraged by a Myra Hindley moors walking tour 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our ex-prime minister's family made their wealth and owes his privileged place in society partially because his ancestors were slave owners lol. If we're gonna ignore history and it's impact on the modern day then maybe everyone who's benefitted even slightly can give up their benefits.

44 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Our ex-prime minister's family made their wealth and owes his privileged place in society partially because his ancestors were slave owners lol. If we're gonna ignore history and it's impact on the modern day then maybe everyone who's benefitted even slightly can give up their benefits.

Any of us might have had ancestors who were crew members on slaving vessels, it was pretty big business for a while. Just because our possible ancestors might have spunked their wages on booze and hookers instead of investing it in molasses or tobacco is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, chomp my root said:

Any of us might have had ancestors who were crew members on slaving vessels, it was pretty big business for a while. Just because our possible ancestors might have spunked their wages on booze and hookers instead of investing it in molasses or tobacco is irrelevant.

Exactly. More reason for us not to black up for a piss take.

1 minute ago, whiskychimp said:

You saying Father Christmas is white? 

I'd say so, Despite baby Jebus being a 'swarthy Mediterranean type' most the paintings of him (and his old man (da)) seem to be of a very white dude. They didn't have cameras then so this was as scientific as it got, good enough for me. I reckon even the Easter bunny is a honky. 

I'd say so, Despite baby Jebus being a 'swarthy Mediterranean type' most the paintings of him (and his old man (da)) seem to be of a very white dude. They didn't have cameras then so this was as scientific as it got, good enough for me. I reckon even the Easter bunny is a honky. 
when i was wee i went to a mixed dutch/ english language school. Sinter klaas used to come round with his blacked up helper, black peter, who threw biscuits for the kids.

Wouldn't get away with that these days. some health and safety lackey would take exception to kids eating snacks off of cockroach infested floors.

Was watching the League of Gentlemen 20th anniversary episodes on catch up this morning and noticed that in this rammy of "Griezman is a racist" I haven't heard much of an uproar about a genuine blackface performance on TV in the shape of Papa Lazarou.

Archived