The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Nice. I’m thinking of selling the wife and reinvesting the takings.

It would be so easy to reference a bull market then segue from there but I’m too much of a gentleman.

• 1 month later...

There’s always a temptation to try to get ahead of the game but if you’re a long term investor you just roll with the punches realising that historically the markets have bounced back every time.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s always a temptation to try to get ahead of the game but if you’re a long term investor you just roll with the punches realising that historically the markets have bounced back every time.

I try to take the long view but when you're rapidly coming up to the point where you take your 25% tax-free, it's a wee bit squeaky bum time.

In all seriousness it's a pretty grim Monday, big thing I guess will be the outlook for the long term investment in tech stock, is this just a hedge fund sell off to force the markets down to buy back in? Maybe, or maybe something more long term. 

I think I'll probably buy a bit extra of the usual funds soon though. 

37 minutes ago, The DA said:

I try to take the long view but when you're rapidly coming up to the point where you take your 25% tax-free, it's a wee bit squeaky bum time.

Fair point.  Unless you’re just reinvesting the 25% in another vehicle (ie ISA) then yeah it’s a real issue.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Share buying time approaching?

More shares for your buck on an index fund?

S&P 500, brah.

Edit -  I don't actually know if that's the best bang for your buck ETF, it probably isn't

Edited by TheScarf

33 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

S&P 500, brah.

Edit -  I don't actually know if that's the best bang for your buck ETF, it probably isn't

Global index fund for me, which will never be the 'best' investing option available anyway, but still good for lazy passive investors like myself.

I've done a token amount of DCA since I set up my account (monthly recurring payment), but wouldn't want to put down a decent amount too little or too late (I know you can't time the market exactly, but I mean get it at least remotely close-ish before things spring back to 'normal').  If it dropped lower but you made a better long term gain off of a slightly premature payment, that's good enough.

Just strikes me as too simple though.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

I am pretty lucky that I took my 25% out of the pension at the start of July.

Should the bitcoin thread not be bumped as well. I see crypto is bombing as well. (I don't have any)

No point in bringing the crypto thread into it in my opinion

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is it tax season in the US? These types of moves are usually generated for that which is then compounded by 'stop loss' settings.

End of last week, there were various US stats came out, job figures etc, that are often interpreted as indicators of a coming US recession. Plus, the results out recently from several of the biggest US tech companies have been less than great...... that caused big falls in markets in US and internationally. I believe much of today's falls are a continuation of that , and also people selling off holdings in order to raise cash to meet committments elsewhere ( margin calls ).

As Warren Buffett once said...

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked... ".

Edited by beefybake