The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is it tax season in the US? These types of moves are usually generated for that which is then compounded by 'stop loss' settings.

No, April 15th is deadline day. For personal income taxes anyway. 

On 05/08/2024 at 09:13, carpetmonster said:

No, April 15th is deadline day. For personal income taxes anyway. 

Although October 15th is the day extensions require filing to be complete…so still not really a factor.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

S&P up 1% yesterday after 3% drop the day before.  All major indices positive in the last 24 hours.

But, it should be noted, it’s still drop to just below its level on 1 April of this year. It’s struggling to break out, which can be a classic sign of a coming retrenchment. You have to think it’ll continue to be a rocky ride through at least Nov, and likely Jan since the American market is such an outsized gorilla in this field.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Vanguard just sent me a "don't sh*t the bed when stock markets dip" type email. 

Are lots of people sh*ting the bed just now, prompting this?

I've had a few of these over a period of time.  Emails from Vanguard, that is.

Long term investing is very much part of their DNA, ie, buy and hold.

Rather different from the interests of traditional stockbrokers, who make their money

from charging a fee every time you trade, buy or sell.

Edited by beefybake

13 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Fuck know, it should be the opposite, get buying while there's a dip.

17 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Anyone who invested in Bitcoin when this thread started would’ve at least quadrupled your money by today.

Hide contents

I didn’t.

You'd have made far more buying Tesla shares.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You'd have made far more buying Tesla shares.

If you’d invested £1,000 in nvidia shares 5 years ago that investment would now worth over £26,800.

Unfortunately I didn’t.

20 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Took money out of my Vanguard account in late 2022 after listening to most economists insistence that a US recession was inevitable and that the markets were going to fall. Invested it in a 2 year 5% fixed rate bond instead. The Nasdaq was up 30% in that period. Lots of idiots like me on Vanguard and that's why they put that advice out.

Edited by Angus_Don
amend

Despite previously saying I was going to leave all future investments to the professionals, today I bought Burberry shares at £6.80.  I’m thinking they may actually become a takeover target at those prices, otherwise I’ll need to wait and see if management can turn things around.  

Hopefully everyone with a long term investment approach ignored the bump in the road and let the market do what the market invariably tends to do…..over time.

“Wall Street enjoyed its best day of trading in nearly two years, recovering most of the losses it suffered during a sell-off sparked by US economic fears earlier this week.”

IMG_1676.thumb.jpeg.298c9a1ed378814e379991230592f0bb.jpeg

I'd be interested to know what kind of returns people on here have been getting.

From my current holding in my SIPP, my best performer is Blackrock World Mining (BRWM) which with reinvested dividends has made 15.67% per annum over the 8.4 years I've held it.

Worst has been The Renewables Infrastructure Group down 6.63% p/a in 2.3 years.

Now I'm looking for some tips on where to invest some money I've taken out my SIPP to put in my ISA. Any suggestions?