The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

9 hours ago, strichener said:

Don't put it into your pension then 'cause you'll not be getting it at 55!

It's a SIPP, should have clarified. Can take it at 55 or can keep it going. Although I'm sure Labour will do their best to change all pension tax soon anyway. 

3 hours ago, thistledo said:

It's a SIPP, should have clarified. Can take it at 55 or can keep it going. Although I'm sure Labour will do their best to change all pension tax soon anyway. 

57 from 2028.

3 hours ago, thistledo said:

As Granny says, everyone born after April 1973 will have their National Minimum Pension Age (NMPA) aligned with the state pension retirement age less 10 years.  If your were born after April 1971 and have not started taking your pension before April 2028 they you will also have to wait until you are 57.

There is an exemption for those that hold their funds in a pension that specifically stated it could be accessed at 55 at the point the legislation changed.  All newer pensions will be 57 and eventually 58.

BTW there are very few providers in the UK where the scheme rules did not state retirement age or NMPA, so most likely you will be at least 57 to get your hands on the money.

Edited by strichener

On 05/09/2024 at 12:49, TheScarf said:

The S&P 500 has taken a bit of a doing in the last 48 hours so like any investing shagger I've #bought in the #dip.

Problem with buying in the dip is that you’re never sure when it’s reached the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Problem with buying in the dip is that you’re never sure when it’s reached the bottom. 

Aye but in the end you know where it’s going.

Glad I took 25% tax free out of my pension this year (at age 56). You can't trust the government to not f**k about with the rules so better to have at least some moved into my ISA, some premium bonds, some easy access savings and leaving some for cocaine and hookers*.

*Obviously joking about some of that. 

11 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Glad I took 25% tax free out of my pension this year (at age 56). You can't trust the government to not f**k about with the rules so better to have at least some moved into my ISA, some premium bonds, some easy access savings and leaving some for cocaine and hookers*.

*Obviously joking about some of that. 

The premium bond bit?

On 07/09/2024 at 04:49, TheScarf said:

Aye but in the end you know where it’s going.

Tell that to investors in the Nikkei...it was earlier this year they finally went positive. Of course, if you correct for inflation...

Screenshot2024-09-08113939.thumb.png.1043566073901b7c156794c02b28f626.png

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Tell that to investors in the Nikkei...it was earlier this year they finally went positive. Of course, if you correct for inflation...

If you were Japanese then you will be better off, it has been sitting at around zero (frequently below) for the last 30 years.  If you are going to pull in external factors then you also need to look at the relative currency strengths.

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Pretty sure the comment related to an index fund.  You could randomly pull any individual stock to show anything.

7 hours ago, strichener said:

If you were Japanese then you will be better off, it has been sitting at around zero (frequently below) for the last 30 years.  If you are going to pull in external factors then you also need to look at the relative currency strengths.

The value of the same 1 Yen in 1990 in 2024 was 1.2155. Thus the high of 37,189 in January of 1990 won't be equaled until the Nikkei reaches 45,203. The Nikkei just opened at 35,835 (and just dropped 1,000 points), so the investor from 1990 is still down over 20%. That's inflation...now relative strength. The Pound Sterling was 242.62 Yen in January 1990, it just closed at 191.15. Thus the average Japanese could be said to be almost exactly as well off as the average Briton still, which is a nasty comment on British relative welfare. The U.S. Dollar was about 145 Yen in January 1990, and just closed at 144. So the average American could be adjudged to be about 25% better off than the average Japanese or Briton...going strictly off the relative exchange rate effects.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Pretty sure the comment related to an index fund.  You could randomly pull any individual stock to show anything.

And the Nikkei 225 is an index fund. 

On 06/09/2024 at 12:03, Granny Danger said:

57 from 2028.

On 06/09/2024 at 13:00, strichener said:

As Granny says, everyone born after April 1973 will have their National Minimum Pension Age (NMPA) aligned with the state pension retirement age less 10 years.  If your were born after April 1971 and have not started taking your pension before April 2028 they you will also have to wait until you are 57.

There is an exemption for those that hold their funds in a pension that specifically stated it could be accessed at 55 at the point the legislation changed.  All newer pensions will be 57 and eventually 58.

BTW there are very few providers in the UK where the scheme rules did not state retirement age or NMPA, so most likely you will be at least 57 to get your hands on the money.

Interesting, I have two SIPPs that are fairly old now, 57 isn't a big deal, but ye know, moving the goalposts. I guess just as well the ISA's and business savings are stacked, they really make it awkward for people to f**king give up working when we want. 

9 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Interesting, I have two SIPPs that are fairly old now, 57 isn't a big deal, but ye know, moving the goalposts. I guess just as well the ISA's and business savings are stacked, they really make it awkward for people to f**king give up working when we want. 

I’ve no doubt the State Pension age will keep rising.  If they keep the age at which you can a SIPP in line (i.e. 10 years before the State Pension age) I can see some folk getting really pissed off.

• 2 weeks later...

Gold price just breached $2600 for the first time, with FED speculating it will hit $3000 by next year.  With China buying up in large volumes and speculation that the new BRICS transactions will be backed by gold, then there is a lot of upside potential.