Festive friendly match thread

glensmad

My conclusion is the 30th of December is not an important date but it seems to be apart apart from a few forward thinking teams We are the only professional or semi professional grade of football that has more or less shut down. I read your love of the game remark but the players in the West top tier are on a weekly wage and although its not their weekly income they are on a decent wage. This is a perfectly good Saturday ruined but hey ho the punters can shovel out their hard earned when they are asked to contribute for three or four games a week at the end of the season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

La Liga and Premiership play midweek games under floodlights so their not playing four games a week come May. The EOS and the SOS are the same level as the Juniors so you could expect that. Why are people defending the fact that a perfectly good Saturday is being sacrificed because some clubs fancy a holiday?

Well I made a mistake didn't I and I have been put in my place by a much more finger on the pulse poster.  I don't usually get involved in these kind of discussions because I'm usually smothered by greatness from much more lauded and intulectual posters.  However nobody has joined the debate about why a perfectaly good Saturday is wasted because clubs want a holiday. If your club move to the LL then it looks like your in for festive fixtures next season. I can only say I'm jealous of the fact.

La Liga and Premiership play midweek games under floodlights so their not playing four games a week come May. The EOS and the SOS are the same level as the Juniors so you could expect that. Why are people defending the fact that a perfectly good Saturday is being sacrificed because some clubs fancy a holiday?

Some players enjoy the “holiday” part of it too. You’re entitled to holidays at work so what’s wrong with having 2 free Saturdays over the festive period in football? Albeit teams that are still in the Scottish weren’t allowed this luxury. It’s the training part that becomes the difficult bit. Do you train once before the game on the 30th?? Or do you train on Boxing Day?? Can you really expect boys to be out training on Boxing Day. I would suggest otherwise to be honest. It’s a debate that will always have split in opinion.

As I have said the vast majority of players in the West Premier league are on a weekly wage. If these clubs don't play then where do the players think their wages are coming from.  A player from the West Premier will be on par with the LL or lower senior league player wages and they are expected to play.

Speaking on behalf of one of the clubs who didn't request a league fixture but were prepared to play a midweek fixture, could I just point out that we, and other clubs in a similar situation have done absolutely nothing wrong.  General Rule 23 of the West Region already allows for no games on Saturdays on 24th, 25th, 26th, 31st December and 1st, 2nd Janaury.  At September's Management Meeting the management committee decided to extend that arrangement this year to the 23rd and 30th December with the proviso that no friendly permits would be issued on those weekends for any club who didn't request a league fixture.  Fair enough.

Clubs in membership of an association should not be criticised for duly following the rules of that association.   Criticise the rule all you want if you feel it's a bad rule but it is out of order to criticise members for adhering to the rules that they signed up for.

My understanding was that the SFA had advised the SJFA that they might not be able to provide enough match officials if full fixture cards were issued for the 23rd and 30th, and that was why the decision was taken to only give games to those who wanted one.

On 12/29/2017 at 13:00, peasy23 said:
On 12/28/2017 at 23:06, Dipple burn said:

My understanding was that the SFA had advised the SJFA that they might not be able to provide enough match officials if full fixture cards were issued for the 23rd and 30th, and that was why the decision was taken to only give games to those who wanted one.

Fair doos.

Archived