Games over holiday period

cfcuk

8 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Anybody know why the tradition boxing day / new year day games have been ditched in the lower leagues, usually get good crowds at this time of year with people coming home to visit relatives etc

The new year games are on the 2nd of January.  

Last year we played Forfar away but that was the only Boxing Day fixture in League 2. It was either because they moved it to Boxing Day, or because everyone else moved their game. I think there was only a couple of other games in Scotland.

A Boxing Day game is great in my opinion but I can see why they try and steer clear of it with the poorer transport etc. 

usually get good crowds at this time of year

I used to think this, but actually, speaking to people over the years I’m lead to believe it’s actually the opposite and lower league crowds actually dip at this time if the year as people (like myself) have various family commitments.

As has been mentioned, Boxing Day games have always been an English tradition, rather than a Scottish one. I’m happy with that as a Boxing Day game would cause WW3 in my house.

I enjoy a wee Boxing Day trip to patronise some tiddly English club (this year Darlington. Not so tiddly though- they had a 1700 crowd!) 

I do remember games actually being played on 1st January though. As Meadowbank were the spare p***ks at the wedding when we were in Division 1 (erstwhile rivals Berwick being rather crap then and stuck in D2 as was) we ended up playing away to Forfar on New Year's Day once.. 

One of my favourite away days with Cowden was a boxing day win away to Stenhousemuir.  Greg Stewart scored early before Lewis Coult scored a 90th minute second right in front of the away fans on the terracing. Queue Lewis standing on the terracing wall.

http://www.stenhousemuirfc.com/video/match-277/cowdenbeath/

7 years ago and feels like yesterday.

One of my favourite away days with Cowden was a boxing day win away to Stenhousemuir.  Greg Stewart scored early before Lewis Coult scored a 90th minute second right in front of the away fans on the terracing. Queue Lewis standing on the terracing wall.
http://www.stenhousemuirfc.com/video/match-277/cowdenbeath/
7 years ago and feels like yesterday.

A can remember going there years before
Old cover terrace where their new stand is
Won 1-0 Boxing Day fixture
I think it was Roddy Grant who scored for us

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I enjoy a wee Boxing Day trip to patronise some tiddly English club (this year Darlington. Not so tiddly though- they had a 1700 crowd!) 

I do remember games actually being played on 1st January though. As Meadowbank were the spare p***ks at the wedding when we were in Division 1 (erstwhile rivals Berwick being rather crap then and stuck in D2 as was) we ended up playing away to Forfar on New Year's Day once.. 

Never been to the new Darlo ground have to get there someday. I was at the old Feethams when we played them in a PSF back in 89 and got humped 5-1 (Darlo had just been relegated to the Conference which they won I remember a policeman telling us the had spent £100,000:o that close season in a gamble to get back up).

Your bloody keen driving down there on Boxing Day:lol:

There has never been much of a tradition of Boxing Day holiday games up here.

Christmas fell on a Saturday in 1971-72 and there was a full card across both divisions - but the next time it fell on a Saturday in 1976-77 attitudes had altered enough that only 2 games went ahead (the last-ever Christmas Day games in Scotland), and about half were moved onto the holiday Monday. Since then in the lower leagues there have been Boxing Day Monday (i.e. 27th Dec) cards instead in 1982, 1999 and 2004 and no use of either in 1993 - unless most got postponed, I'm going by the result listings - and 2010. Christmas Day doesn't fall on a Saturday again until 2021.

In recent times attitudes to playing on Christmas Eve when it falls on a Saturday have also started to alter: in 1994, 2005 and 2011 there was a Boxing Day Monday lower league card instead. Last season under SPFL auspices they stuck with Christmas Eve, but 4/6 Premiership games and 5/15 matches in the lower levels got moved, and there was negative coverage and poor crowds (IIRC). Christmas Eve next falls on a Saturday in 2022.

There only seem to have been 3 other Boxing Day lower league seasons (1989, 2007, 2012).

In contrast there has always been a tradition of New Year holiday games... there will have been few seasons without a lower league card on New Year's Day or January 2nd. Indeed right up to 1972 there were full cards on both days, back-to-back - unless January 2nd fell on a Friday to avoid 3 games in 3 days. That year New Year's Day fell on a Saturday with a card on January 3rd holiday Monday and 2 back-to-back weekday cards weren't reinstated.

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

Why the big delay in announcing new dates for postponed matches? Am I wrong in thinking only Peterhead are still involved in the cup business?

Unless clubs agree you don't have to play them until the last week in February.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Why the big delay in announcing new dates for postponed matches? Am I wrong in thinking only Peterhead are still involved in the cup business?

No point organising for a few weeks as they won't be until the end of February and there could be more postponements thrown in. E.g. if our game is off Saturday you'd hope we wouldn't have Elgin and Peterhead away back to back midweeks.

Archived