Glorious Greenock Morton v A Shite Scheme in Glasgow

I really like Saints new ground. It’s comfortable, has a bar, cracking corporate facilities and unrestricted views.

Used to be soulless but that’s certainly not the case now.

Plus we own it and have no debt so happy days.

Morton’s ground is a tip. However, it has character. If away end was roofed the atmosphere would be magic.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss Love Street, the cage by the away supporters, the near vertical incline of the Caley stand, the way in which you entered the ground from above and worked down.

Sadly the upkeep was just too much. I'd imagine it's the same situation is Cappielow. For all the Morton fans might slag off Greenhill Road, not only did we get it effectively for free it also saved us literally hundreds of thousands of pounds. If the option was given to them to do the same, they'd bite your hand off.

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I miss Love Street, the cage by the away supporters, the near vertical incline of the Caley stand, the way in which you entered the ground from above and worked down.

Sadly the upkeep was just too much. I'd imagine it's the same situation is Cappielow. For all the Morton fans might slag off Greenhill Road, not only did we get it effectively for free it also saved us literally hundreds of thousands of pounds. If the option was given to them to do the same, they'd bite your hand off.

I think most of us have a pop at your new ground because the old Love Street was so much better. Used to love the away end, but not so much as a kid due to the steep incline like you say. My first visit there was a 4-1 win back in 1995. I’m pretty sure I was in the second to back row at the end of the row and it was so busy it was basically two people to one seat, so every time we scored I was pushed out onto the stairs, hanging on to the wee barrier thing next to the seat to make sure I didn’t go flying down the stairs!!!

17 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I think most of us have a pop at your new ground because the old Love Street was so much better. Used to love the away end, but not so much as a kid due to the steep incline like you say. My first visit there was a 4-1 win back in 1995. I’m pretty sure I was in the second to back row at the end of the row and it was so busy it was basically two people to one seat, so every time we scored I was pushed out onto the stairs, hanging on to the wee barrier thing next to the seat to make sure I didn’t go flying down the stairs!!!

Not many "old school" stadia left. Dens Park is probably the most notable. Rugby Park too, perhaps. In this league, I think it's only yourselves, Brechin and Queens that don't have recently developed grounds. The whole Taylor report, which while not directly reporting on Scottish football, really hampered the game up here. Money has always been tight in comparison to England and a requirement of a minimum set number of seated fans screwed all the clubs bar the few at the top. The whole country has been playing catch up with that.

10 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Not many "old school" stadia left. Dens Park is probably the most notable. Rugby Park too, perhaps. In this league, I think it's only yourselves, Brechin and Queens that don't have recently developed grounds. The whole Taylor report, which while not directly reporting on Scottish football, really hampered the game up here. Money has always been tight in comparison to England and a requirement of a minimum set number of seated fans screwed all the clubs bar the few at the top. The whole country has been playing catch up with that.

You must be young Ruby Park is nothing like it was before development. Much prefer new stadiums so much more comfortable and safer that's a personal opinion. I'm now in two minds wether to go on Tuesday. Understand you can park over the road and get into the main stand no doubt I will go as I'm staying at the holiday Inn at Paisley Airport before flying out to Cape Town on Wednesday for a holiday so going to the game and hopefully wining would be a good start to the holiday/.

1 minute ago, Demented Zebra said:

You must be young Ruby Park is nothing like it was before development. Much prefer new stadiums so much more comfortable and safer that's a personal opinion. I'm now in two minds wether to go on Tuesday. Understand you can park over the road and get into the main stand no doubt I will go as I'm staying at the holiday Inn at Paisley Airport before flying out to Cape Town on Wednesday for a holiday so going to the game and hopefully wining would be a good start to the holiday/.

From Cappielow to Cape Town... :lol: 

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

You must be young Ruby Park is nothing like it was before development.

It wasn't a complete rebuild though, like Hamilton Accies or Falkirk for examples.

I don't mind all seater stadiums, in fact in many ways I prefer it. Although, and as you reference Rugby Park their leg room is so pitiful it's almost a pointless experience trying to sit down.

3 hours ago, LargsTON said:

I hate standing on open terrace too but the atmosphere provided by yourselves at the 1-4 game is the noisiest I've heard in many a year at Cappielow so that argument doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Night time games are usually better and on that ocassion with so much at stake for us we were more than up for the fight, but it's very difficult to generate any noise with no roof over the WDE. We should at least have a section of the shed.

53 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

What do Microsoft Windows, mobile phones and every person in the world under 35 years of age have in common?

Hide contents

They didn't exist the last time Morton won the New Year fixture (1st January 1983).

"Motorola was the first company to produce a handheld mobile phone. On April 3, 1973, Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first mobile telephone call from handheld subscriber equipment, placing a call to Dr. Joel S. Engel of Bell Labs, his rival."

Close, but no cigar!

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

What do Microsoft Windows, mobile phones and every person in the world under 35 years of age have in common?

Hide contents

They didn't exist the last time Morton won the New Year fixture (1st January 1983).

Assuming that doesn't include 1996 and 1997 when the games were originally postponed before we went on to win.

5 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Understand that if only the top league extended it by adding four more teams then the Mortons would have a better chance of generating more money but the SFA are so biased towards elite clubs they can't see the bigger pricture.

St Mirren and Morton are elite teams.  The rest are pish

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hide contents

And we made a bit of an arse of it. Still, it was Scotsport's choice of game for highlights.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The game isn't actually being played in your pathetic shoebox, champ. 

No, it's not being held at our ground champ, it's being held at a shite atmosphere vacuum and the worst ground in the league. Happy new year!

8 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Obviously a safety ticket inspection was not inspected on a rainy day these benches can be slippy so you have to be careful not too slip you have to stand on them due to puddles forming. It's not about point scoring here it's an unacceptable fact that needs addressing.

Last couple of times I've gone, when it's been raining, have gone in to the main stand.

Pillars make the view less than ideal, but at least it's safe.

I'm amazed that there's never been a serious accident at the WDE with people standing on bits of wet plastic.

8 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Unfortunately we don't have the financial means to do so.

You should close it down if it's not safe.

I'm guessing it must have a safety certificate, but god knows how.

All other point scoring stuff aside, the WDE is an accident waiting to happen.

You should close it down if it's not safe.
I'm guessing it must have a safety certificate, but god knows how.
All other point scoring stuff aside, the WDE is an accident waiting to happen.

If it wasn't safe it'd have been closed down already.

Archived