A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Inspired by Mr Heliums superb post here's a couple of pics nicked from the WAP forum...

FB_IMG_1540069385074.jpg

Fred Aitken, Kenny Aird, John Connolly, Henry Hall and Willie Ormond.  Regarded by many as the finest forward line and manager Saints have ever had.

FB_IMG_1540069287371.jpg

FB_IMG_1540068873716.jpg

Muirton Park.

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 15.19.16.png

The video above, taken at Muirton Park ‘circa 1973–74’, is a series of haphazard clips that doesn’t capture much goalmouth excitement, never mind goals. But I love it.

Televised games at Muirton were rare in any case, but homemade footage is a priceless journey back in time. Shorn of anaesthetic highlights to dictate to you how it was, this captures something more recognisable. The film was made a couple of years before my first Saints game at Muirton, but this is how I remember it: the lazy atmosphere around the ground, the football a little less aggressive. And that early scene outside the ground had me holding the impossible hope I’d see my grandad, who held a season ticket for 70 years.

A wee bit of digging adds a  colour to the footage. The opposition is clearly Dumbarton, and from the autumnal trees  it’s possible to say confidently that it was filmed on October 7, 1972; Dumbarton won 2-0 with a goal in each half.

That makes it a significant game for both sides. Dumbarton, who had won the old second division title earlier that year, were struggling in the top league. This win would end up their first of the season and would prove crucial: the Sons would eventually stay up on goal difference.

Significant for Saints fans too, because this is the last footage I know of of Willie Ormond-era St Johnstone. A few weeks later, Tommy Docherty would resign as Scotland boss and Willie would step up to replace him. And the manager who’d succeed Ormond was Sons’ boss Jackie Stewart; perhaps it was his team’s performance on this day that impressed the Saints board.

This was the autumn of a Saints team etched into memory. John Connolly had gone earlier in 1972, but here are Donaldson, Lambie and Argue, and Henry Hall wearing that number 8 shirt. Kenny Aird and Jim Pearson too. What a privilege to get a last shuddery glimpse of them.

For Dumbarton, this game marked the breakthrough of Tom McAdam, later of Celtic. He was just 18 and got one of Dumbarton’s goals. He’d prove a long-lasting tormentor of Saints – 17 years later, in November 1989, he scored the winner for Airdrie at McDiarmid that blew the 1989-90 First Division championship race open. (McAdam was injured and sitting in the stand for Saints’ famous 3-1 victory later that same season.)

Thanks very much for posting this. I've quoted you in the League One Sons Sorrow thread where it might pick up some traction. I was at this game sitting in the stand. I was only allowed to go to away games on my own in the early '70s on condition that I always avoided the terracing!

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 15.19.16.png

The video above, taken at Muirton Park ‘circa 1973–74’, is a series of haphazard clips that doesn’t capture much goalmouth excitement, never mind goals. But I love it.

Televised games at Muirton were rare in any case, but homemade footage is a priceless journey back in time. Shorn of anaesthetic highlights to dictate to you how it was, this captures something more recognisable. The film was made a couple of years before my first Saints game at Muirton, but this is how I remember it: the lazy atmosphere around the ground, the football a little less aggressive. And that early scene outside the ground had me holding the impossible hope I’d see my grandad, who held a season ticket for 70 years.

A wee bit of digging adds a  colour to the footage. The opposition is clearly Dumbarton, and from the autumnal trees  it’s possible to say confidently that it was filmed on October 7, 1972; Dumbarton won 2-0 with a goal in each half.

That makes it a significant game for both sides. Dumbarton, who had won the old second division title earlier that year, were struggling in the top league. This win would end up their first of the season and would prove crucial: the Sons would eventually stay up on goal difference.

Significant for Saints fans too, because this is the last footage I know of of Willie Ormond-era St Johnstone. A few weeks later, Tommy Docherty would resign as Scotland boss and Willie would step up to replace him. And the manager who’d succeed Ormond was Sons’ boss Jackie Stewart; perhaps it was his team’s performance on this day that impressed the Saints board.

This was the autumn of a Saints team etched into memory. John Connolly had gone earlier in 1972, but here are Donaldson, Lambie and Argue, and Henry Hall wearing that number 8 shirt. Kenny Aird and Jim Pearson too. What a privilege to get a last shuddery glimpse of them.

For Dumbarton, this game marked the breakthrough of Tom McAdam, later of Celtic. He was just 18 and got one of Dumbarton’s goals. He’d prove a long-lasting tormentor of Saints – 17 years later, in November 1989, he scored the winner for Airdrie at McDiarmid that blew the 1989-90 First Division championship race open. (McAdam was injured and sitting in the stand for Saints’ famous 3-1 victory later that same season.)

Sitting watching your video right now, with this view

20181023_184451.thumb.jpg.65be75f8900e24930ba79fbc22f7f5a1.jpg

I'd be in the old main stand, this makes me sad.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Sitting watching your video right now, with this view

20181023_184451.thumb.jpg.65be75f8900e24930ba79fbc22f7f5a1.jpg

I'd be in the old main stand, this makes me sad.

That's a bit heartbreaking.

Genuine question: what was the feeling at the time of the move?  I remember it quite well, and the coverage was all positive because McDiarmid looked smart and novel.  It also conicided timewise with Hillsborough of course, which put it ahead of a newly necessary time.

These images do however point to something valuable being lost too.  History also tells us that such grounds are many, and forgettably soulless.

Was there resistance back then?  Did Muirton need to be moved from?  Is there genuine regret beyond understandable nostalgia?  

I've obviously seen plenty debate on such things regarding sides like Falkirk, Dumbarton and Airdrie.  With St Johnstone as trailblazers though, I've rarely seen much attention to a downside.  What was and is the feeling around it all?

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's a bit heartbreaking.

Genuine question: what was the feeling at the time of the move?  I remember it quite well, and the coverage was all positive because McDiarmid looked smart and novel.  It also conicided timewise with Hillsborough of course, which put it ahead of a newly necessary time.

These images do however point to something valuable being lost too.  History also tells us that such grounds are many, and forgettably soulless.

Was there resistance back then?  Did Muirton need to be moved from?  Is there genuine regret beyond understandable nostalgia?  

I've obviously seen plenty debate on such things regarding sides like Falkirk, Dumbarton and Airdrie.  With St Johnstone as trailblazers though, I've rarely seen much attention to a downside.  What was and is the feeling around it all?

Not much resistance because it was a fantastic deal for St Johnstone. We'd just about went bust, were in the bottom league getting crowds of just over 1000. Things started to pick up, we had a great battle with Ayr to get out of the bottom division, a semi final where we held Rangers 0-0 with 9500 saints fans there and we were beginning to build something special. Geoff did a great deal with asda and we moved in when in the first division. Totten had us flying and we moved into McDiarmid with average crowds of 6 or 7000. It basically built the base of the St Johnstone we see today. I miss the old ground but there's no doubt it changed saints for the better.

Basically we were on the way up and McDiarmid catapulted us further. We were competing with the likes of Ayr, Airdrie and Partick back then,  I'd say we've eclipsed them all by some distance now. So it worked out fine for us.

19 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Not much resistance because it was a fantastic deal for St Johnstone. We'd just about went bust, were in the bottom league getting crowds of just over 1000. Things started to pick up, we had a great battle with Ayr to get out of the bottom division, a semi final where we held Rangers 0-0 with 9500 saints fans there and we were beginning to build something special. Geoff did a great deal with asda and we moved in when in the first division. Totten had us flying and we moved into McDiarmid with average crowds of 6 or 7000. It basically built the base of the St Johnstone we see today. I miss the old ground but there's no doubt it changed saints for the better.

Basically we were on the way up and McDiarmid catapulted us further. We were competing with the likes of Ayr, Airdrie and Partick back then,  I'd say we've eclipsed them all by some distance now. So it worked out fine for us.

That's interesting.

It's kind of how I remember it, but without the detail.   Unlike with some other clubs then, the upside was huge.  What was the last game at Muirton like?

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Big crowd, Saints completely froze, and lost 1-0 to Ayr United, John Sludden scoring the winner.

I've still got the wee commemorative badge they handed out as you went through the turnstiles.

I think I'd be a bit distraught at such an occasion if it came our way.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think I'd be a bit distraught at such an occasion if it came our way.

Here's the badge.

I was upset/sad at losing Brockville no doubt, but it had to be done I think. There were guys I saw waiting to go through the turnstiles for the last time utterly distraught. Completely inconsolable.

1655335_10203234114802332_256861623_n.jpg

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Apart from being out of town, the one real whinge I remember was that McDiarmid was 'only' going to be 10,000 capacity! Geoff new what he was doing though.

12 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Big crowd, Saints completely froze, and lost 1-0 to Ayr United, John Sludden scoring the winner.

I've still got the wee commemorative badge they handed out as you went through the turnstiles.

I was too late to get the badge. I've got the first day cover somewhere though. 

We went to the Half A Tanner, had some bottles of champagne to send the old place off in style and made a right mess of the bar trying to get blue food dye into the glasses. Thankfully Jack was in understanding mode as per usual.

Was too late for a badge too. :(

Edited by 7-2

14 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Here's the badge.

I was upset/sad at losing Brockville no doubt, but it had to be done I think. There were guys I saw waiting to go through the turnstiles for the last time utterly distraught. Completely inconsolable.

1655335_10203234114802332_256861623_n.jpg

I lost the badge years ago (or my Saintees mate at school nicked it) :(

Funnily enough I still have the small plastic sleeve for it... 

Inspired by Mr Heliums superb post here's a couple of pics nicked from the WAP forum...

FB_IMG_1540069385074.jpg.d68490d4bd320ecadc0908dbf2db5bc4.jpg&key=24a121a4d76e2d95e732b0137a76e3317fe2fafffbdaab43bc90f2ce7cacb745
Fred Aitken, Kenny Aird, John Connolly, Henry Hall and Willie Ormond.  Regarded by many as the finest forward line and manager Saints have ever had.
FB_IMG_1540069287371.jpg.d10ecff798a980a7a9687e53a46bb39f.jpg&key=a2abc425783a072aded67302a71d9615e293a7c8407c1ecfa8b27bdccc63614a
FB_IMG_1540068873716.jpg.b02acf339e5477aeb6eaa6044962aa3c.jpg&key=70099045dd909e7f575565c7dc3f301ec15d56e2de9665829d2b1dac285c4ffe
Muirton Park.
henry hall looks the same there as when i met him 13/14 years ago when he was Montrose manager. i had a lot of time for the man