A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Two things about those early programmes: Loving the old fashioned to-day rather than the modern today. Also, interesting that the numbers are given in the team lines but not for the goalkeeper, who has (Goal) in some of them and the drawing of the goals in the last one. Wonder why they don't just have (1) under the name.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I think that's Andy Roxburgh in the ES Clydebank line up. Wikipedia says he played for "East Stirlingshire" in 1964-65 but they would have been ES Clydebank that season 

Contractors Miller & Stables supplied the "drenchlighting" erected at Easter Road in 1954. The angled "drenchlighting" was installed at a few English grounds and Simon Inglis in his "Football Grounds of Great Britain" refers to it as "Scottish style". It is interesting to see the notes refer to a combined system- the Kilbowie floodlights were unique looking compared to other Scottish grounds.

Aye, It's Andy Roxburgh, he's on the ES Clydebank autograph picture posted on this page, top right.

That Simon Inglis book is probably my favourite football volume, a bit dated now but I'd recommend it to any ground nerds.

16 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

:lol:

Good Grief, how could I have got that so wrong for so many years ! When I was first subjected to that record as an impressionable youngster the fact that this guy called Sean was wandering about doing whatever it was he did but only south of this mythical place called Garryowen ( which Bill McLaren always assured me was a high up and under in rugby) almost made it almost palatable. Parhaps Michael was assigned north of Garryowen, Hector looked after west of Garryowen and so on.  Now it's revealed as just another 3rd rate dirge with no lyrical quirkiness and I'm revealed as a someone who doesn't listen to records properly. Mind you the best bit of that LP was always the first few seconds of crowd noise...

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Also, interesting that the numbers are given in the team lines but not for the goalkeeper, who has (Goal) in some of them and the drawing of the goals in the last one. Wonder why they don't just have (1) under the name.

I don't think 'keepers actually wore shirts with "1" on them in those days? If you look at old photos from 1950s plenty appear blank... indeed they sport all manner of jumpers, rollneck sweaters etc.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't think 'keepers actually wore shirts with "1" on them in those days? If you look at old photos from 1950s plenty appear blank... indeed they sport all manner of jumpers, rollneck sweaters etc.

60s, 70s, into the 80s too, many keepers never wore a number. I think when squad numbers were introduced, in became commonplace as it had to be adhered to, but prior to that the jersey distinguished the goalie.

Been catching up on a year's worth of posts. Had forgotten all about this thread. Apologies if I'm posting anything that's been done (especially by myself!).

Anyway - Here's a map of the area around Cappielow in 1879.

I have a report from a game in March 1879 being played at Cappielow (the earliest I can find). Another from May 79 refers to a game "in a field behind Cappielow Sugar Refinery".

The Garvel Park at upper left is where Morton originally played. The "CALED" bit of "Caledonian Railway" is the area which became Cappielow.

1382203456_Cappielowarea1879.jpg.90a5eda6cf002cf0f3ab17eb9ef45f3b.jpg

Modern Google Earth shot for comparison.

1583449261_Cappielowareamodern.thumb.jpg.b6504a5fc68632c78e1aae483ac9ebb8.jpg

1993 - Paul Lambert is sent off after THREE MINUTES of what would become his last appearance in a Renfrewshire Derby, for punching Jim Tolmie. We'd go 2-1 up (eventually) but ended up drawing.

Can't recall if Paul went onto do anything of note...

690454163_1993.8_21St.Mirren2-2Morton(3).jpg.bd7c143067ddd53cfb7d94acd792b495.jpg

952377749_1993.8_21St.Mirren2-2Morton(4).thumb.jpg.01a254692eb304fbd62546545a77c4e7.jpg

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

1993 - Paul Lambert is sent off after THREE MINUTES of what would become his last appearance in a Renfrewshire Derby, for punching Jim Tolmie. We'd go 2-1 up (eventually) but ended up drawing.

Can't recall if Paul went onto do anything of note...

690454163_1993.8_21St.Mirren2-2Morton(3).jpg.bd7c143067ddd53cfb7d94acd792b495.jpg

952377749_1993.8_21St.Mirren2-2Morton(4).thumb.jpg.01a254692eb304fbd62546545a77c4e7.jpg

Think that's David Syme refereeing. A big prancer on the park, poor ref.

Hampden North stand under construction.

166054863_HampdenNorthstand.jpg.8fe1884659fbab39b97a1c702515f7b9.jpg

My father-in-law told me a tale about this. When they were digging up the old terracing, the guys on site noticed that the excavator's house section was spinning constantly. One of them manged to get into it and found the lad operating it was unconscious. Apparently, he had passed out from unearthing the ammonia which had built up over the years due to fans pishing in the ash.

64 years ago today...

Monday 10th February 1958
Friendly
Hibernian P-P British Army

at Easter Road, Edinburgh     postponed for snowbound pitch

Poor conditions put paid to an interesting encounter between Hibs and the cream of the Queen's finest. There was to be notable Scottish representation with Duff the Hearts 'keeper and both defenders hailing from Falkirk.

Game was rearranged for a fortnight later, and ended Hibs 2-4 British Army... Parker and an Eddie Turnbull penalty for the hosts; Gerry Hitchens brace, Bill Curry and Cliff Jones for the forces. By then Alex Scott of Rangers had broken into their XI alongside Jackie Plenderleith who lined-up against his own club. In freezing conditions only 2,600 attended.

Evidently part of the programme had been printed before the call-off, and the rest was completed before it was sold at the rearrangement. As a result a certain Lance Corporal Bobby Charlton (RASC/Manchester United) appears in the line-up and who's who pages, when he'd actually been badly hurt in the Munich disaster during the intervening period.

img532.thumb.jpg.3e0eef40b7f41e31c67ee3a244b86ab1.jpg

img534.thumb.jpg.9972b5d8ff4be4498a3c830ab7f828b0.jpg

img533.thumb.jpg.06d51457cd26c3b4c8c84af7d335e38c.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think that's David Syme refereeing. A big prancer on the park, poor ref.

Brother Syme, man of the match performance for Rangers in the 1996 SKOL league Cup final. 

Apparently his old man was a referee and equally fond of a funny handshake, Jock Stein said to him once after a typical Masonic goat shagging masterclass against Celtic..  "Aye, your dad would be proud of you the day son"

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

64 years ago today...

Monday 10th February 1958
Friendly
Hibernian P-P British Army

at Easter Road, Edinburgh     postponed for snowbound pitch

Poor conditions put paid to an interesting encounter between Hibs and the cream of the Queen's finest. There was to be notable Scottish representation with Duff the Hearts 'keeper and both defenders hailing from Falkirk.

Game was rearranged for a fortnight later, and ended Hibs 2-4 British Army... Parker and an Eddie Turnbull penalty for the hosts; Gerry Hitchens brace, Bill Curry and Cliff Jones for the forces. By then Alex Scott of Rangers had broken into their XI alongside Jackie Plenderleith who lined-up against his own club. In freezing conditions only 2,600 attended.

Evidently part of the programme had been printed before the call-off, and the rest was completed before it was sold at the rearrangement. As a result a certain Lance Corporal Bobby Charlton (RASC/Manchester United) appears in the line-up and who's who pages, when he'd actually been badly hurt in the Munich disaster during the intervening period.

img532.thumb.jpg.3e0eef40b7f41e31c67ee3a244b86ab1.jpg

img534.thumb.jpg.9972b5d8ff4be4498a3c830ab7f828b0.jpg

img533.thumb.jpg.06d51457cd26c3b4c8c84af7d335e38c.jpg

Imagine such a fixture taking place these days, the **** would be wanting 10,000 tickets. 

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Don't even start me!

You're clearly referring to that last minute penalty he gave Dunfermline against Airdrie in a league Cup semi final?

Can't remember if it was a last gasp equaliser or winner but seem to recall it was a handball award so ridiculous even Rangers wouldn't have appealed for it.