A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 09/02/2018 at 23:33, Eednud said:

Billy Steel wearing a tartan shirt on Dundee's tour of South Africa in 1953.  P 17 W 15 D 1 L 1.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TGisiI_dI2E/TCdoutY8HcI/AAAAAAAACzs/yk8Xu9k1lnU/s1600/Billy+Steel+53.jpg

I have a Billy Steel jigsaw in the attic I got for Xmas in the 50s.

It has a piece or 2 missing but I hope to get it mounted on the wall some day.

17 minutes ago, Bobby12340 said:

Not sure-Dundee never won down there in those days.

If someone could dig through the records might find it - probably mid 70,s when I think about it.

The 6-0 game was on 26th October 1977 ,a Legue Cup.

This was home and away tie-Queens had drawn 0-0 at Dens the week before.

Queens then lost to Forfar over 2 legs in the quarter final.

Previous years the League Cup was played in 9 sections of 4 teams but it seems to have changed to 2 legged games in this year.

Gordon Strachan was in the Dundee team- but I can’t find the Queens team to see if gobber Ball was playing..But it probably was this game where his gobbing  made such an impression on me.

On 03/11/2023 at 19:25, HibeeJibee said:

Most exotic place a Scottish club played off. Rangers twice went to Highbury in London and once Paris.

Every other time (Dunfermline and Hearts v Zaragoza, Hearts v Lausanne, Hibs v Roma and Valencia) our sides agreed to go away again.

Scotland v Czechoslovakia in 1961 was Brussels.

Didn't Rangers also play a weird European away leg in the early 1960's against Vorwaerts of East Germany in a virtually empty Malmö (?) stadium on a Sunday morning due to a fog issue ?

On 03/11/2023 at 19:25, HibeeJibee said:

Most exotic place a Scottish club played off. Rangers twice went to Highbury in London and once Paris.

Every other time (Dunfermline and Hearts v Zaragoza, Hearts v Lausanne, Hibs v Roma and Valencia) our sides agreed to go away again.

Scotland v Czechoslovakia in 1961 was Brussels.

Not Zaragoza for us.

We played them in March 1966 and won 1-0 at East End (Bert Paton) but lost 4-2 in Spain (Alex Ferguson, yes that one, with both).

It was Athletic Bilbao we went to a third tie with. We played them late January 1965 away and lost 1-0 then played them early March at East End and won 1-0. It went to a third game (late April) which we did indeed play in Spain for some reason, and we lost 2-1. No idea why there was such a gap between all the games!

Here's a good article covering all three games, with some great old photos:

https://archive.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=1965:_Athletic_Bilbao_2_Dunfermline_1&ID=11910

34 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Didn't Rangers also play a weird European away leg in the early 1960's against Vorwaerts of East Germany in a virtually empty Malmö (?) stadium on a Sunday morning due to a fog issue ?

Home leg... Thursday morning...

Due to Berlin Wall crisis East Germans weren't granted visas to enter UK in autumn 1961 so Ibrox tie went to Malmo: abandoned fogbound at HT with Rangers leading 1-0 it was replayed (in full!) at 9am/10am following morning... Rangers won 4-1.

Vorwarts faced Linfield in previous round and having lost 3-0 in Berlin the Ulstermen scratched rather than suffer the expense of staging a 'home' game overseas.

Swansea Town v Motor Jena in CWC R1 went to Linz.

On 02/11/2023 at 21:24, SimonLichtie said:

I recently tried to get in touch with the STV archives via email but heard nothing back - have also been told by others they're not interested in anything that isn't financially worthwhile to them.... bit of a pisser with it being highly likely they have thousands of hours of old Scottish football footage from all levels (Scotland, top division, Football First, junior cup finals, Scottish Cup stuff etc etc.).

Like many others I'm sure, I'd be more than happy to put in the work required to get this stuff publically viewable....

If anyone does have any sort of contacts at STV/ BBC etc...... let me/ us know! ;) 

footage.sales@stv.tv

The above email address worked well for me, albeit about 6 years ago so no idea of the current situation or if their service has changed.

I asked them if they would sell footage direct to me for a private collection only, they said they would (albeit not cheap) so I sent them a list of matches and they came back telling me what they did and did not have available They put the matches that were only the 2/3 minutes Scotsport highlights onto the same disc and I also got a couple of full programmes. Very helpful.

Never come across any such service offered by BBC Scotland unfortunately, frustrating as there are a couple of matches I would love to see again that I know they covered at the time.

On that note, if anyone at all has or knows someone who has full highlights of the following game:

https://archive.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Dunfermline_1_Airdrieonians_1&ID=11843

Would they let me know.

12 minutes ago, AGPar said:

footage.sales@stv.tv

The above email address worked well for me, albeit about 6 years ago so no idea of the current situation or if their service has changed.

I asked them if they would sell footage direct to me for a private collection only, they said they would (albeit not cheap) so I sent them a list of matches and they came back telling me what they did and did not have available They put the matches that were only the 2/3 minutes Scotsport highlights onto the same disc and I also got a couple of full programmes. Very helpful.

Never come across any such service offered by BBC Scotland unfortunately, frustrating as there are a couple of matches I would love to see again that I know they covered at the time.

On that note, if anyone at all has or knows someone who has full highlights of the following game:

https://archive.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Dunfermline_1_Airdrieonians_1&ID=11843

Would they let me know.

https://youtu.be/r-JgKkeQH8g?feature=shared

On 24/10/2023 at 14:01, Otis Blue said:

Noticed this on the BBC website today ... bit of an embarrassing faux pas there lassies, n'est ce pas? ...

A popular K-Pop band appears to have made a mix-up by donning retro Rangers tops at a show in Texas.

STAYC were performing in Dallas as part of their US tour.

But instead of wearing local baseball team Texas Ranger's tops, the girl group appeared in 1990s kits worn by Glasgow Rangers.

K-pop band members wearing Rangers tops

They've now done an Ibrox tour, including the museum

77498601-12719987-image-m-51_16993557568

On this day in 1962 the Tannadice Park floodlights were used for the first time in a competitive game. Think they were only used for the second half with A 2-1 win for United with Jim Irvine scoring the winning goal in the 83rd minute. Couldn’t find any action pictures so following from arabarchive.co.uk

IMG_1816.jpeg

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

On this day in 1962 the Tannadice Park floodlights were used for the first time in a competitive game. Think they were only used for the second half with A 2-1 win for United with Jim Irvine scoring the winning goal in the 83rd minute. Couldn’t find any action pictures so following from arabarchive.co.uk

IMG_1816.jpeg

I was always impressed by the Tannadice floodlights. Now cut down to size sadly. At least Dens retains it's 4 magnificent erections... 

tannadice.jpg.229204b45d27135fed9bd0337f67382e.jpg

53 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was always impressed by the Tannadice floodlights. Now cut down to size sadly. At least Dens retains it's 4 magnificent erections... 

tannadice.jpg.229204b45d27135fed9bd0337f67382e.jpg

I always liked the steepness of the terrace back in the 80s plus the corner adverts in the terracing wall were a great feature! 

On 04/11/2023 at 22:31, AGPar said:

I asked them if they would sell footage direct to me for a private collection only, they said they would (albeit not cheap) so I sent them a list of matches and they came back telling me what they did and did not have available

Can you give a rough cost of what it cost? Appreciate that it may be much more expensive now. Happy to receive a DM if you prefer. Thank you