A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 02/07/2018 at 16:38, Pet Jeden said:

Spectacular crowds at Killie and Kirkcaldy with 1/3 and 1/5 of the towns' populations turning out. There really wasn't much else, apart from the pictures or the boozer, to do in those days. Interesting that a Hibs team in the middle of winning 3 league titles still only got a crowd 2/3 of Hearts. Always the wee team.

What I found really interesting was it appears, based on an average spread of adults, concessions and youngsters, that it was far cheaper to get into the Saints v Sheep game than it was for Hibees v Jags.

36 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

We don't need Eusebio,We Don't need Eusebio, We Don't need Eusebio

'cos we've go Davie Robb - so!

Davie, Davie, Davie Robb; Davie...Davie Robb etc

brush.jpg

favourite food = mince and tatties

I used to love these features.  How many of us were introduced to the word 'miscellaneous' by them?

Also pretty notable that a 1970s full international claimed not to possess a telly.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I used to love these features.  How many of us were introduced to the word 'miscellaneous' by them?

Also pretty notable that a 1970s full international claimed not to possess a telly.

Probably a lie, to put the tv licence folk off the scent

At first glance I wrongly thought the Davie Robb pic was at Pittodrie and it brought back the question I've not been able to find an answer to...why did clubs change from the home side changing their strip due to a colour clash to the away team doing it? Must have been 60s or 70s going by pics but nobody seems to know exactly why it happened. Anyone know?

At first glance I wrongly thought the Davie Robb pic was at Pittodrie and it brought back the question I've not been able to find an answer to...why did clubs change from the home side changing their strip due to a colour clash to the away team doing it? Must have been 60s or 70s going by pics but nobody seems to know exactly why it happened. Anyone know?

Because the away team turned up with their main strip, then before kick off the ref decided if they clashed, so the home team had to change cause their 2nd strip was already there, probably. Or maybe it was another reason, f**k knows.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

I've mentioned this a few times on here and like you, have never got an answer as to when or why it changed.  My recollection is that it was as late as almost 1980 before it became the Scottish norm for the away team to change.  I certainly saw Queens wearing white at Palmerston a few times in  70s against Dundee, Montrose and Stranraer.  

That seems challenged by the picture though - are you sure it's not Pittodrie?

Personally, I quite like the idea of the home side changing, in an old fashioned, well mannered hospitality type sense.  I'd also  have thought that these days, when clubs often wear away strips for no obvious reason, then they'd want to do so at home too, from a marketing viewpoint.

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've mentioned this a few times on here and like you, have never got an answer as to when or why it changed.  My recollection is that it was as late as almost 1980 before it became the Scottish norm for the away team to change.  I certainly saw Queens wearing white at Palmerston a few times in  70s against Dundee, Montrose and Stranraer.  

That seems challenged by the picture though - are you sure it's not Pittodrie?

Personally, I quite like the idea of the home side changing, in an old fashioned, well mannered hospitality type sense.  I'd also  have thought that these days, when clubs often wear away strips for no obvious reason, then they'd want to do so at home too, from a marketing viewpoint.

Looking again, it is Pittodrie. Just scanning it before I mistook the visible lettering in the bakery advert for what's probably Aitken's as Airdrie given the teams! 

I didn't think it was as late as you mention for the change but a quick Google check shows Young left Aberdeen in 1975 and Robb was there until 1977 so it could be later than I thought, obviously depending when the pic was taken.

I've emailed both the SFA and whoever was in charge of the league at the time. Unsurprisingly I got no replies apart from an automated response from one of them saying someone would get back to me within x working days. Yeah, right. Totally agree that somehow it should still be the home side changing and just cannot think of any reason why it's better that the away side does.

Guest Moomintroll
Think there was also a dance tune insanity as well though.. 
“take me, into insanity” that I’m getting the title mixed up with.
I was just kidding about having a Peter Andre single, obviously.
Between knowing Billie Piper lyrics and knowing that Peter Andre sung Insania, I think it is time for me to look at my life with a critical mindset.