A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 25/06/2024 at 20:42, megaspinnernet2 said:

Clydebank

Clydebank.jpg

Some absolute Kilbowie crackers in there....Jim Fallon (4), Dougie Hay (14), Norrie Hall (2), Jim Gallagher (keeper), Gregor Abel (3) Joe McAllan (10), Michael Larnach (9) and of course Tommy Callaghan (6) and the peerless Davie Cooper (7).  I reckon this is circa season 1976/77, around the time when I saw all three League Cup ties in which Cooper, playing on the right wing as he did with the Bankies, absolutely destroyed Alex Miller and got his transfer to Ibrox.

37 minutes ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Great pic of the old Tynecastle during a summer cup tie in 1965 hence the extended line across the 18 yard line.

Great pic of the old Tynecastle during a summer cup tie in 1965 hence the extended line across the 18 yard line..jpg

I don't think that was in the Summer Cup - could be wrong - was that not a league Cup experiment?

1 hour ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Scotland U23

Scotland U23.jpg

This unfortunately was the game in which Bobby Reid of St Mirren had an ACL injury that ultimately destroyed his football career. 

Bobby was an excellent player and was destined for the English top flight.

IIRC Liverpool were closely linked to him.

Fitzpatrick and McGarvey both got big moves after this season. 

IMG_1178.thumb.jpeg.6926e998687d73e2a9314e12c2c24a70.jpeg

Bobby became a lawyer after retirement from football. 

IMG_1179.jpeg.d4451e69c08837268ed2aed2809a9fb6.jpegIMG_1180.jpeg.adc7c2676f7503543aea15eefa1cb651.jpeg

Edited by Molotov

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think that was in the Summer Cup - could be wrong - was that not a league Cup experiment?

There was an "Offside Demonstration" game in June '65 with these lines on the pitch. Hearts beat Killie 8-2 and Donald Ford scored 5. Ironically Sneddon & McIlroy scored the Killie goals - just a couple of months after each scored in the 2-0 win at Tynecastle that won them the League.  The trial obviously didn't lead to any rule change. The striped shirts could well be Kilmarnock.  Crowd was 9000 per London Hearts website.

Edited by Alberto Spencer
Memory lapse

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think that it was actually the Dryburgh cup which ran in the early 70's

Edit to say that after checking I don't think that Hearts ever played in the Dryburgh cup and having just read a previous post from Alberto Spencer it looks as he is correct and this was the no offside experimental game. The Dryburgh cup also ran with a rule where there was no offside between the penalty boxes.

Edited by Jimmy Baker

9 hours ago, megaspinnernet2 said:

Great pic of the old Tynecastle during a summer cup tie in 1965 hence the extended line across the 18 yard line.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

7 hours ago, Alberto Spencer said:

There was an "Offside Demonstration" game in June '65 with these lines on the pitch. Hearts beat Killie 8-2 and Donald Ford scored 5. Ironically Sneddon & McIlroy scored the Killie goals - just a couple of months after each scored in the 2-0 win at Tynecastle that won them the League.  The trial obviously didn't lead to any rule change. The striped shirts could well be Kilmarnock.  Crowd was 9000 per London Hearts website.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

I think that it was actually the Dryburgh cup which ran in the early 70's

Edit to say that after checking I don't think that Hearts ever played in the Dryburgh cup and having just read a previous post from Alberto Spencer it looks as he is correct and this was the no offside experimental game. The Dryburgh cup also ran with a rule where there was no offside between the penalty boxes.

As noted image is an experiment friendly in June 1965 during an IFAB meeting in Edinburgh... no offside at all in 1st half; not between boxes in 2nd half (line was extended at HT). Hearts had just returned from touring Norway... Killie were about to depart for ISL.

No offside between boxes was also tried that August during Glasgow Charity Cup Final (Glasgow 0-3 Chelsea); and in early 1970s in Drybrough Cup for 2 or 3 seasons plus League Cup for 1 or 2 seasons.

Hearts were lacklustre for most of 1970s - and never scored enough goals to qualify for Drybrough Cup. (Even when relegated to First Division for 1977-78 and 1979-80 but bouncing straight back they were still outscored by clubs finishing below them, plus the cup didn't run in 1978 anyway).

On 29/06/2024 at 14:22, megaspinnernet2 said:

A snowy Fir Park in 1977. If you are of a certain vintage you will remember the guy on the left as Christian, a Scots entertainer in the 1970's.

A snowy Fir Park in 1977. If you are of a certain vintage you will remember the guy on the left as Christian, a Scots entertainer in the 1970's..png

Chris McClure (Christian) was around for decades. Saw him live one midweek afternoon in Butlins Ayr in the 1980s. He did a Scotland song for the 1982 World Cup.

Fair play to him, he made a life time living in a diminishing Scottish entertainment industry. From potential pop star in his younger days to panto. Passed away a couple of months back at his home in Bishopbriggs. Believe he was a neighbour of the still living Lena Martell of (One day at a time) fame.

Image 1 of 1

Pole-vaulting at Rugby Park.

An annual sports day was held in Kilmarnock for 500 years, until 1831 when it was stopped due to an unruly crowd.  The day which was traditionally held on Shrove Tuesday was revived later in the 19th century by the town's Football and Rugby clubs and was held at Rugby Park, the ground which they shared.

Part of a new collection in the MacManus in Dundee. Descriptions are a bit vague. 

I think the club's are correct. The Forfar kits date it to 49-55 and Alloa 47-56. Picture 8 is certainly Tannadice and I'm assuming that's a United change kit as we played in black and white hoops throughout the 50s

United played Alloa every year in the league through the 50s son unless anyone has a clue to players then hard to narrow it down.

20240703_141737.jpg

20240703_141742.jpg

20240703_141747.jpg