Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

On 31/03/2024 at 09:13, Wacky said:

I might be in a minority here, and maybe even in a spot of trouble for this, but does anyone else struggle to watch Rosie Jones?

yes

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Definitely not in the minority on here. It's been discussed before. My last rant about her I said that comedy is all about timing and unfortunately, outwith her control, she's unable to have good timing. That aside, even with good timing her content is unfunny pish. 

I know she'll be loving the airtime but I actually find it very uncomfortable when she appears on panel shows as the laughs always sound so patronising.

This. 

For all the pish comedians around these days, it's incredible that utter dross like this used to draw millions on TV every Saturday evening.

Skip to 23:50 if you want to see the absoloute worst thing that Scotland has ever been responsible for.

7 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

For all the pish comedians around these days, it's incredible that utter dross like this used to draw millions on TV every Saturday evening.

It’s a bit of a two sided coin, now that every one who has every thought of a joke can post it online and hope to generate a following a lot of pish does get pushed forwards.

However it does mean no longer can one half-cut producer decide who is funny enough to be pushed down the throats of the nation and leave some talented people struggling round pubs cos their face didn’t fit

4 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Skip to 23:50 if you want to see the absoloute worst thing that Scotland has ever been responsible for.

I saw him at one of those 80s weekends that Butlins does.

He was really funny because he wasn't doing the suitable for TV stuff.

Changed my opinion of him and he went down really well

1 minute ago, Uncle Scan said:

I saw him at one of those 80s weekends that Butlins does.

He was really funny because he wasn't doing the suitable for TV stuff.

Changed my opinion of him and he went down really well

Did he take his troosers off? 

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

I’d love to know what happened to him.

https://www.pianoman.biz/

His journey has taken him in many different directions and, after 10 years working as a full time musician in the cruise ship industry, he recently re-married and has settled in Bournemouth where he is adjusting to a new life on land .

Edited by dirty dingus

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Carr's latest Netflix special reviewed in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/apr/19/jimmy-carr-natural-born-killer-review-a-moral-vacuum-laughing-at-his-own-jokes

".........the man’s material is so edgy that he actually has to scan the room in case the woke police are in. “This next joke might get me cancelled,” he says at one point, like a teenager smelling his farts and chuckling that he could get thrown out of a sleepover. If delivering material that might as well have been cribbed from a Jim Davidson set can get you “cancelled” (“There’s a reason men propose on their knees – they’ve fucking given up”), Carr might well be."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morgan Rees at The Stand in Glasgow tonight. Saw him MCing at the Glee Club last year and thought we'd check out his full show. Turned out to be a good decision, really funny, some great jokes. Support came from Sam Lake, who I'd never heard of before, but will definitely go and see again.

• 1 month later...