Stand Up Comedy

JMDP

37 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Herring will be good, sounds like he's been sold a pup on the guests tho...........

Without being unkind, I kinda think Suzi M is kicking the erse out of everything just now (tv, podcasts etc ) as her "sheen" will soon rub off.

Hope you have a good one tho !

TBF, I quite like MacAuley, and I reckon he'll be suited to the sit down conversational style.

20 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I often wonder if there is a comedians Omerta in respect of their profession.

It's quite clear that there is a load of dross out there, particularly on TV, yet they all seem to stick together and blow smoke up one another's arses.

Stewart Lee regularly upsets the applecart - off the top of my head he's had a go at Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr and Josh Widdicombe.

13 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I often wonder if there is a comedians Omerta in respect of their profession.

It's quite clear that there is a load of dross out there, particularly on TV, yet they all seem to stick together and blow smoke up one another's arses.

Yep, I'm fairly sure this is the case.

On the "tv" bit, we have seen hundreds of comedians over the years - and a hell of a lot of very very funny people "live" are blunted terribly when they turn up on the tv.

I think there are a lot of tv execs who see someone they think will "work on tv" and have a quiet word with their agents to say how they want them to present themselves, that they can make a load of cash if they behave.

Jordan Grey last year appeared in a shipping container off George Sq in the Edin Festival, incredibly rude, great audience interaction and really funny. Appearance on QI a few weeks ago and it was eye poppingly bland.........although the audience seemed to like it.

Tom Allen kind of bucked the trend - his first Fringe he played in a tiny room in The Pleasance - it wasnt full, in fact there were a few other comedians there to support him (Sarah Millican, Russell Kane). He was excellent, rude and really confident - welcomed every audience member with a handshake at the door ! His comedy - minus the really sweary bits - has translated to TV pretty well.

Suzi McCabe actually made a point about that in the show last night, about how supportive most comedians are to each other, although she did have a few digs at one in particular. Will be interesting to see if it makes the podcast.

Whole show was excellent - McCabe was fairly entertaining, and MacAuley was hilarious

I saw Jerry Sadowitz live for the 3rd time the other week - what a guy, an absolute maniac who I would confidently say gives the least amount of fucks of any comedian on the planet. Definitely not for the faint of heart or easily offended. Tremendous stuff. 

I might be in a minority here, and maybe even in a spot of trouble for this, but does anyone else struggle to watch Rosie Jones? I can’t help thinking her appearances are an exercise in box ticking for the PC brigade. 
sorry if this has been done before 

14 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I might be in a minority here, and maybe even in a spot of trouble for this, but does anyone else struggle to watch Rosie Jones? I can’t help thinking her appearances are an exercise in box ticking for the PC brigade. 

My hearing is not 100% sometimes need to subtitle programmes that are a bit muffled - and I genuinely struggle to hear what she is saying on panel shows.

Having said that, there have been times when the camera has cut to other people on the panel who looked equally as confused as me so maybe not just my hearing.

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

It has been done. For me it's quite simple, the lassie is just not funny.

On 27/03/2024 at 20:20, Mark Connolly said:

TBF, I quite like MacAuley, and I reckon he'll be suited to the sit down conversational style.

The mid-morning magazine style show that MacAuley hosted on Radio Scotland for years was unbelievably turgid and painfully bland. I used to have it on when working from home and I don't think Macauley ever said something that could be considered mildly amusing never mind outright funny. I still listened to Radio Scotland every morning, mind you - contributing to his listener numbers and perhaps maintaining his slot. When I was told a few years later that he was a comedian "by trade" and did stand-up I genuinely thought I was getting the pish ripped out me. Still don't believe it.  

9 hours ago, Wacky said:

I've genuinely never heard anyone say anything positive about her. Nothing to do with her disability. She's just not funny.

Was at Breakneck in Aberdeen last night. Decent compare and two supports were a local from Ellon and a blind guy. Both raised laughs and were good. Headline was Paul Pirie. Had never heard of him, insane but incredibly funny, definitely one to watch out if you see his name as very funny

11 hours ago, Wacky said:

Definitely not in the minority on here. It's been discussed before. My last rant about her I said that comedy is all about timing and unfortunately, outwith her control, she's unable to have good timing. That aside, even with good timing her content is unfunny pish. 

I know she'll be loving the airtime but I actually find it very uncomfortable when she appears on panel shows as the laughs always sound so patronising.

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

The mid-morning magazine style show that MacAuley hosted on Radio Scotland for years was unbelievably turgid and painfully bland. I used to have it on when working from home and I don't think Macauley ever said something that could be considered mildly amusing never mind outright funny. I still listened to Radio Scotland every morning, mind you - contributing to his listener numbers and perhaps maintaining his slot. When I was told a few years later that he was a comedian "by trade" and did stand-up I genuinely thought I was getting the pish ripped out me. Still don't believe it.  

Even the theme music was  dreadful. The aural equivalent of a twee hippie skipping through a meadow while throwing daisies in the air.

ETA...it's spelled MacAulay.

He always emphasised that his name has "all the As".

Edited by Arch Stanton

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Even the theme music was  dreadful. The aural equivalent of a twee hippie skipping through a meadow while throwing daisies in the air.

ETA...it's spelled MacAulay.

He always emphasised that his name has "all the As".

Probably regarded that as one of his best punchlines. A Krusty equivalent of pulling out the big guns if losing/lost the crowd.....

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I actually find it very uncomfortable when she appears on panel shows as the laughs always sound so patronising.

Totally agree. I switch off any program Rosie is in for this very reason. Anyhoo, it’s been done on here so I’ll leave it at that 

Edited by Wacky

11 hours ago, mathematics said:

Been on the scene for 20 years if it’s the same PP I know. Lovely guy and very funny.

Probably, guy in 50s from Dundee, I had never seen him before. Was very funny.

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Probably, guy in 50s from Dundee, I had never seen him before. Was very funny.

Aye that’s him. He used to do an improv show in Glasgow back in the early 2000s with Raymond Mearns, Des Clark, Des Clarke, and others.