Torpar

Last pre-season games this weekend, 7 today plus 1 tomorrow, one of them being the annualmCharity Shield game between the Dragons and the Rabbitohs. Game being played in Mudgee with 07:30 GMT kick-off. All games being televised Raiders v Roosters (05:00), Storm v Knights (05:45), Titans v Warriors (06:50), Sharks v Bulldogs (07:00), Panthers v Eels (08:30), Broncos v Cowboys (09:00) and tomorrow Wests Tigers v Sea Eagles (06:00).

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted Souths to win but picked Storm in tipping will bask in 100% record for about 20 hours. Just read in a report that Storm hasn’t lost the season opener since 2001 and Souths have never won in Melbourne. 

Good performance from the Knights. Tough break for Kurt Mann who I like a lot doing his MCL. Mitch Barnett was beastly.

As a Broncos fan 16pts up at HT, I still don't trust them to win, and they are going to be inconsistent all year no doubt but....that was an enjoyable half. And there haven't been many of them lately.

Predictable comeback from the Eels who deserved to win in the end. Fox Sports bashing a Broncos collapse seems a little harsh given the 3 injuries (and Turpin scored!). Improvement from Broncos though - I'll happily watch a young side that turns up like that every week. Hurry back Haas and Stagggs!

Good round 1 I thought. Most teams looked less rusty than you'd expect on an opening weekend.

Overreaction theatre takeaway is that the top 6 won't change from last year. Storm, Panthers, Roosters, Souths (despite losing) and Raiders (despite playing with their Frosties) all looked good, and the Eels can claim they showed good spirit and had their second rows on the wrong way round.

Last 2 playoff spots from Knights, Warriors and Titans. Time to put up for the Gold Coast. Not little bro anymore when you've spent what they have.

Sharks and Tigers to get some big wins but won't be consistent enough.

Long season ahead for Dragons, Bulldogs, Cowboys, Manly and Broncos by the looks of things. As a Broncos fan though, if they have a dig all year like they did on Friday I'll be happy (happier).

• 2 weeks later...

Great second half turn around by the Warriors in Canberra. Down 25-6 at half time Adam Pompey put then 32-31 ahead with 3 minutes to go with Kodi Nikorima converting to put them 3 points in front. With 8 seconds on the clock Jordan Ropana looked as though he was about to touch down for a winning Raiders try but Roger Tuivasa-Sheck managed to nudge Ropana’s arm enough to make him lose contact with the ball. 34-32 Warriors.