2018 Winter Olympics

The Naitch

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what do we still have in terms of British medal prospects? We’ve never had more than 4 medals at a games before, but this is almost certain to change as the four man bobsleigh team will likely be awarded a retrospective bronze from Sochi after the Russians were caught doping. Which means two more medals would technically be required in Korea to beat that.

The women curlers are in the semi-finals and are guaranteed a medal match and I’m sure would like to build on their bronze from Sochi. The male curlers have a playoff against Switzerland and would have a shot at a medal if they get through it and in to the semi-finals.

We currently lie 6th in the 2 women bobsleigh, with the last two runs soon to take place, so perhaps an outside chance of a bronze. The four man bobsleigh event takes place later this week and, considering they will get their bronze from Sochi, may be contenders here? 

I know little about the sport, but they seem to be bigging up Dave Ryding in the men’s slalom alpine skiing, who won World Cup silver last year. 

I may have missed some out, but from that, I’d assume the women curlers are the best shot at a medal.

11 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

This is sheer laziness from me but when is the ice hockey next on and/or when are the semi finals and/or what games should I watch?

I do like ice hockey but my knowledge of it is limited to 1 clan game, 1 Ayr eagles game and the first two Mighty Ducks films.

If you have Eurosport you'd be as well looking it up, if you're following on the BBC only you've got no chance outside of highlights. The semis and finals are all on in the middle of the night and they've barely shown any of the other matches.

33 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Oh! @Dindeleux! Canada vs. Finland on the red button right now. No idea when this happened or if it's live but it's there.

It's live, Germany - Sweden playing too, currently 3-1 Germany. Hopefully another upset after the Yanks lost to the Czechs earlier. 

Holy!

Germany have just beaten Sweden 4-3 in OT.  Germany were  uncluky in the group game too and lost 1-0 to Sweden, so fair dues! Although my bets are fecked : Sweden to win the Gold and Finland to Podium - both oot.

Semi's are Russia v Czech Republic and Canada v Germany. Looking like Canada - Russia in the final, but who the feck knows in this tournament.

What a result! Fairly unusual for Germany to be the underdogs in most sports but I'd say they have gone way beyond their own expectations for this tournament. I love this country, I really do, but I hope Germany win on Friday (just don't tell immigration)

59 minutes ago, Torpar said:

What a result! Fairly unusual for Germany to be the underdogs in most sports but I'd say they have gone way beyond their own expectations for this tournament. I love this country, I really do, but I hope Germany win on Friday (just don't tell immigration)

I usually support Canada in the Hockey as well - got family where you are, probably like half of Scotland does - but I'm with you and hope that Germany do it on Friday. I've only seen their two games against Sweden and they've played really well in both. 

35 minutes ago, Kejan said:

I usually support Canada in the Hockey as well - got family where you are, probably like half of Scotland does - but I'm with you and hope that Germany do it on Friday. I've only seen their two games against Sweden and they've played really well in both. 

Off topic I know but where do they live if you don't mind me asking?

I usually root for Canada in international tournaments too but the English football team levels of arrogance in the media makes it difficult at times. Like when they lost in the World Juniors to the USA two years in a shootout, leading the press to call for the way the whole tournament is run. I hope the women win gold either way

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Off topic I know but where do they live if you don't mind me asking?

I usually root for Canada in international tournaments too but the English football team levels of arrogance in the media makes it difficult at times. Like when they lost in the World Juniors to the USA two years in a shootout, leading the press to call for the way the whole tournament is run. I hope the women win gold either way

Mostly in Etobicoke (I pronounced it Eto-beh-cokey, the first time I went there) ;Brampton; outside Hamilton; Guilford/Barry way ; and then some near  Ottawa. I've got a cousin or second cousin even working in Yellowknife! I've only been to Ontario but really want to see Nova Scotia, Newfie, New Brunsiwck and then the west as well. Maybe next year tour about the east then fly over to Vancouver etc. 

How long have you been out there? Do you have the hybrid accent? My aunt moved out there when she was 23, she's 62 now and came across last summer sounding about 80% Canadian 20% Scottish and when she went back the family over there said they couldn't understand her again, like she was fresh off the boat. 

I'm hoping the Women win the Gold as well. It seems they are underdogs going by 365. 

If Germany and Czech don't prevail in the Mens tournament then Canada v OAR should be good, but a shame it's that name and not Russia, and we won't hear that majestic anthem. The Russian one, not the Canuk one :)

27 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Mostly in Etobicoke (I pronounced it Eto-beh-cokey, the first time I went there) ;Brampton; outside Hamilton; Guilford/Barry way ; and then some near  Ottawa. I've got a cousin or second cousin even working in Yellowknife! I've only been to Ontario but really want to see Nova Scotia, Newfie, New Brunsiwck and then the west as well. Maybe next year tour about the east then fly over to Vancouver etc. 

How long have you been out there? Do you have the hybrid accent? My aunt moved out there when she was 23, she's 62 now and came across last summer sounding about 80% Canadian 20% Scottish and when she went back the family over there said they couldn't understand her again, like she was fresh off the boat. 

I'm hoping the Women win the Gold as well. It seems they are underdogs going by 365. 

If Germany and Czech don't prevail in the Mens tournament then Canada v OAR should be good, but a shame it's that name and not Russia, and we won't hear that majestic anthem. The Russian one, not the Canuk one :)

I've lived here since May 2014, first found a place to live in the delightful Parkdale district of Toronto, there was a fatal shooting outside my house one night after some Drake event. I now live in Etobicoke with my missus who is from Gilford/Barrie way as it happens! Her family is all of Austrian/German decent so probably not related! As far as I know my accent is mostly the same, though I can hear myself pronouncing some words differently than I would at home. In Toronto where a lot of people's first language isn't English I just find it easier.  Other than one trip to Montreal I've never visited outside of Ontario. It's cheaper to fly to Mexico or Cuba than Halifax or Vancouver, hopefully go one day soon though. 

Have to agree that the Russian anthem is one of the best in the world, a lot better than the now gender neutral Canadian anthem, fucking Trudeau!  

Of course, the difference is that the men’s curlers were widely acknowledged as one of the weaker teams in the bonspiel and even finishing 5th place of these 10 represents a surprisingly good olympics. Kind of reminds me of Eve Muirhead’s performance in 2010 in Vancouver, and I expect big things from this team in future olympics.

That shot for 5 by Benny Schwartz was probably the best curling hammer shot I’ve ever seen, but to be honest it was quite poor from the GB guys to let the end develop like that. If you’re up by 1 in end 9 then you should be looking to just play a clean end twice over. The first would be blanked by the opposition and in the second they’d be forced to draw for one to force an extra. You then have the hammer and can just play a third clean end and leave your skip with a hammer draw for the game.

I see Eve either getting gold or bronze. I fancy her to either beat Japan or Korea in whatever medal match they end up in, but the semi final with Sweden could go either way. Eve would love to get revenge on the swedes after the hog line incident.

The men’s semis are Sweden v Switzerland and Canada v USA. I’d love to see Switzerland do it after that great shot by Schwartz, but as long as it’s not Canada I’m happy.

Of course, the difference is that the men’s curlers were widely acknowledged as one of the weaker teams in the bonspiel and even finishing 5th place of these 10 represents a surprisingly good olympics. Kind of reminds me of Eve Muirhead’s performance in 2010 in Vancouver, and I expect big things from this team in future olympics.

That shot for 5 by Benny Schwartz was probably the best curling hammer shot I’ve ever seen, but to be honest it was quite poor from the GB guys to let the end develop like that. If you’re up by 1 in end 9 then you should be looking to just play a clean end twice over. The first would be blanked by the opposition and in the second they’d be forced to draw for one to force an extra. You then have the hammer and can just play a third clean end and leave your skip with a hammer draw for the game.

I see Eve either getting gold or bronze. I fancy her to either beat Japan or Korea in whatever medal match they end up in, but the semi final with Sweden could go either way. Eve would love to get revenge on the swedes after the hog line incident.

The men’s semis are Sweden v Switzerland and Canada v USA. I’d love to see Switzerland do it after that great shot by Schwartz, but as long as it’s not Canada I’m happy.

Good post from someone obviously with more knowledge of the game than I have.

Just on the hog line revenge thing, is it not pretty much now accepted that Eve Muirhead just made an arse of it?
That’s certainly how I felt the thing developed as time went on..

Good post from someone obviously with more knowledge of the game than I have.

Just on the hog line revenge thing, is it not pretty much now accepted that Eve Muirhead just made an arse of it?
That’s certainly how I felt the thing developed as time went on..

I’ve got to admit, I actually didn’t see the Sweden game and although I’ve seen a very brief replay of the hog violation itself, I haven’t seen what the house looked like prior to the stone, but I know it was an extra end and Sweden had the hammer, seem unlikely that GB would have won that game even if the hogged stone had been allowed to stand.

Archived