BBC bias

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's a similar figure for Scottish isolation numbers, I'm pretty sure.

Great, where is it?

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Are you trying to be a budget supermarket version of virkinton? It needs some work.

If "virkinton" calls out folk who post with the confidence of ignorance, I'm all for it.

Edited by Baxter Parp

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Quite clearly the biggest problem is the dreadful uptake of self isolation - round about 75% ignoring it.

Many will be doing so because they can't afford to but either way that's a massive issue when there's a good chance these people are contagious.

It's been pointed out before, but the big figures for people ignoring it include going for a walk in the park or even taking the bins out. The question was "Have you ever left the house?", or something close to that. Hopefully most people are at least adjusting their behaviour or just being more careful.

Edited by welshbairn

29 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

As i understand it, this is the sort of the thing we can rely on the Union to deal with.

How can you criticise something that you don't understand in the first place?

How can you support something that you don't understand in the 1st place, if we're saying we can't be sure of the best course of action? This is Mac asking Dennis if he's reviewed the fossil records in it's always sunny isn't it?

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

How can you support something that you don't understand in the 1st place, if we're saying we can't be sure of the best course of action? 

No, that's what you're saying, the people that wrote this 14 page explanation are not.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-evidence-paper-october-2020/

5 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

No, that's what you're saying, the people that wrote this 14 page explanation are not.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-evidence-paper-october-2020/

On 09/10/2020 at 00:46, NotThePars said:

You'll get on a lot better when you realise that Baxter Parp is a sophisticated bot we all collaborated on a few years back who alternates between sharing negative articles on the Union and obfuscating criticism of the SNP/ independence by being needlessly obtuse

Last time I ignore this brother's advice!

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Indeed, I was at my most creative when Thatcher made me unemployed for four years in the early eighties.

I'm not sure what creativity you were demonstrating in the '80s bit it must have been Picasso like if it was more creative than your posts on P&B.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Yeah it should have said England. I can't think of any obvious reasons why the Scottish experience would be much different. Maybe because we have a bigger public sector workforce relatively speaking it might be marginally better given the significance of issues with work situation and childcare in the study.

Also, ScotGov held in higher regard than UKgov.

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Surely you don't believe this to be true? If businesses are forced to cease operating permanently as a result of severely restricted business, with intermittent closure through lockdowns further de-normalising social activities like the pubs, then there will not simply be jobs for people to happily hop back into.

This will have an impact on other areas of the economy, and lead to further, less drastic job losses in other sectors as well as a mass defaulting on personal debts, rent and utilities payments. Worst case scenario is a marked increase in homelessness and a multi point increase in sustained unemployment. 

Business owners in hospitality may largely be twats looking for a handout, but it's ridiculous to say there's no truth in warnings about businesses closing. I'm sure they already are.

I'd love you to define "soon" as well, because there is absolutely zero sign we are close to seeing the light at the end of this, and I'd remind you it's now been close to 7 months since businesses were first impacted.

People don't become unemployed forever. They lose their job for whatever reason then move on to something else when the opportunity presents itself. The idea that people will never want to go to pubs again anytime in the future just because they've been restricted for a while is laughable. Sure, some of them will go out of business. But new pubs will replace them when the economy demands it. If not, something new will take their place offering fresh new jobs.

30 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

People don't become unemployed forever. They lose their job for whatever reason then move on to something else when the opportunity presents itself. The idea that people will never want to go to pubs again anytime in the future just because they've been restricted for a while is laughable. Sure, some of them will go out of business. But new pubs will replace them when the economy demands it. If not, something new will take their place offering fresh new jobs.

The economy of a late capitalist country doesn't magically fit to the number of jobs required to maintain a productive workforce. And if there are fewer people working and overall lower incomes, that will reduce the amount spent in hospitality further so no, I don't think new pubs will replace old any time soon.

No one is saying that people will never go to pubs again any time in the future. But it may shock you to learn that different parts of the economy are sorta connected to each other. If one industry suffers a severe setback and starts culling jobs then that has a wider effect on everyone else, excepting those who have too much money to begin with.

40 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

I'm a one man party. Will never be elected. But can never be unelected either.

I'll sign up if a policy is to switch the tax laws so drinking in a pub becomes more enticing than at home in front of the telly.

21 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The economy of a late capitalist country doesn't magically fit to the number of jobs required to maintain a productive workforce. And if there are fewer people working and overall lower incomes, that will reduce the amount spent in hospitality further so no, I don't think new pubs will replace old any time soon.

No one is saying that people will never go to pubs again any time in the future. But it may shock you to learn that different parts of the economy are sorta connected to each other. If one industry suffers a severe setback and starts culling jobs then that has a wider effect on everyone else, excepting those who have too much money to begin with.

Your ideological thinking on the economy is clouding you from the reality of how it functions. The economy always provides societies needs. When there is a demand for something, the economy provides the service. If there isn't a demand for it, then it doesn't matter if it's not provided. If there is less of something in the future, then it's only because less people in society are interested in that particular service. If there is more of something, it's because more people want it. Society makes the economy what it is. If there are less jobs in the future, then it will only be because society has determined that less jobs are required for the system to function.

14 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Your ideological thinking on the economy is clouding you from the reality of how it functions. The economy always provides societies needs. When there is a demand for something, the economy provides the service. If there isn't a demand for it, then it doesn't matter if it's not provided. If there is less of something in the future, then it's only because less people in society are interested in that particular service. If there is more of something, it's because more people want it. Society makes the economy what it is. If there are less jobs in the future, then it will only be because society has determined that less jobs are required for the system to function.

I think I'll file your market essentialism alongside your "marxist feminism" thoughts tbh.

22 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Supply and demand are the names of my large nephews and when I let them go on the seesaw supply goes up and demand goes down

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think I'll file your market essentialism alongside your "marxist feminism" thoughts tbh.

Any economist would agree with me. Clearly you're not one of them and thinks the economy is just going to suddenly stop one day, despite the fact that people are the economy and it would make zero sense for people to cause it to stop.