BBC bias

6 minutes ago, Jambo99 said:

In your utterly perfect, utopian indy Scotland, that is perfect and is impossible, you clearly will have safeguards. I mean, its so easy

That wasn't the post you replied to. And in relation to the one you quoted in this post, I would hope it would be pretty easy. "We're not supplying shit that you can blow up the ports where the civilians food comes in. And if you do, you're not getting any more."

The UK is quite happy to continue allowing this to happen. 

ETA: Do we even produce any of this stuff? Surely it's a moot point.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

That wasn't the post you replied to. And in relation to the one you quoted in this post, I would hope it would be pretty easy. "We're not supplying shit that you can blow up the ports where the civilians food comes in. And if you do, you're not getting any more."

The UK is quite happy to continue allowing this to happen. 

Mate, you are better than the rest of us. Thank you. 

If I was Nicola Sturgeon, I would let you  be in charge of everything. 

You are so perfect. 

I am lucky to have met you.

Edited by Jambo99

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Edited the last post. Do we produce any of this stuff anyway? I honestly don't know.

what? of course we don't?

we make rainbow unicorns

we make peace, and we make fun, and we make peace and fun. 

like football violence

Edited by Jambo99

2 minutes ago, Jambo99 said:

what? of course we don't?

we make rainbow unicorns

we make peace, and we make fun, and we make peace and fun. 

like football violence

Thanks for the succinct answer.

Do we produce bombs that are used, for example, by Saudi Arabia to bomb innocents in Yemen? I don't know. I can't remember the last factory I passed in Glasgow that does that. Maybe there's one in Falkirk.

is that clown even hinting at Scotland as a place where sexual violence and racial violence even exists?
I mean, come on. No gender violence or racial violence exists in Scotland.,
Thank god [mention=56895]JoeyJoeJoe[/mention] junior Shabadoo is being so realistic tonight
What the f**k is wrong with you?

You conduct debate like you're a rabid dog.

8 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Raging Britnat losing her shit when she doesn't realise selling bombs to Saudi has f**k all to do with Scottish Govt.  I don't agree with giving them hauners but it seems like general practice to keep foreign companies sweet on staying in Scotland.

The grants were to help them diversify away from arms.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/16587305.scottish-business-minister-jamie-hepburn-defends-raytheon-funding/

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

That makes no sense.

It is still grant money to an arms company. The idea that Raytheon (turnover $25 billion) are going to diversify away from arms production because of a £185,000 grant is ridiculous. You might as well give Coca Cola ten grand to diversify away from sugar.

On a more serious note it's time for a serious cross party effort at Westminster on Yemen.

Edited by Detournement

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

That makes no sense.

It is still grant money to an arms company. The idea that Raytheon (turnover $25 billion) are going to diversify away from arms production because of a £185,000 grant is ridiculous. You might as well give Coca Cola ten grand to diversify away from sugar.

On a more serious note it's time for a serious cross party effort at Westminster on Yemen.

The point is not that the Scottish Government  is going to single handedly save Raytheon's soul by leading it away from the Military Industrial Complex, it's that the money ScotGov did give it was for a non military project. That size of a money pot looks very much like funding for a group of Eng.D/Ph.D students which given the involvement of Strathclyde Uni makes sense. £185,000 would barely cover the stationary budget in a proper Hi-tech, industrial project. Hell, £185,000 wouldn't buy you a single Paveway IV bomb off of the production line.

SNP MPs/MSPs and Nat Twitter in general are describing this as some noble, progressive gesture though

"Spears into ploughshares"!

The SNP are a centrist party. There is no reason for them to have any aversion to a company like Raytheon. They should just be open and say that they are indirectly funding Scottish Univerisities via tax breaks for corporate R&D.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

SNP MPs/MSPs and Nat Twitter in general are describing this as some noble, progressive gesture though

"Spears into ploughshares"!

The SNP are a centrist party. There is no reason for them to have any aversion to a company like Raytheon. They should just be open and say that they are indirectly funding Scottish Univerisities via tax breaks for corporate R&D.

What does the Party's ideological positioning have to do with anything? The Scotstoun shipyard is owned by BAE systems (a company that makes Raytheon look like a bunch of hippies) and exclusively produces warships - should we expect some brave Corbynist ideologues to campaign for that site's closure, or demand that ScotGov should not lift a finger to protect, via money or influence, that site's workers? Seems unlikely, and come the next round of cuts there no doubt Labour will line up behind the Unions and demand the UK government find more money to allow BAE to continue building obscene platforms of destruction for the UK to impose it's imperialist will abroad.

A major issue, particularly with UK manufacturing is that one of it's major successes is in aerospace. These are typically highly skilled, high paying jobs with an outsized influence on the surrounding communities with respect to the number of jobs created. They are also all very much entwined with the Military. There isn't an aerospace company in the West that isn't baw deep in weapons of varying degrees of destruction. The cuddly looking Boeing wide body airliners, who's development was funded from profits made in F-15 Strike Eagles to Israel or Raytheon electronics powering both air traffic control and AMRAAM missiles. It'd be a brave politician of any stripe who railed against giving money to companies to grow  UK job shares on a good day - let alone the kind of of Hi-tech, high paying jobs that Raytheon provides to shitholes like Glenrothes.

There's nothing I can disagree with there i'm just pointing out that the "spears to ploughshares" rhetoric is ridiculous. On the issue of BAE clearly a Corbyn government would impose harsher export licensing which would affect them negatively in line with the 2016 Thornberry motion on Yemen.