Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Well our manager knew Dunne and Campbell would only be fit the night before.  Dunne strolled it, Campbell bossed it.  

So in otherwords that's a shite excuse

It's not an excuse, and I never used it as an excuse.  You need to read my post. 

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Swello said:

This is nicely done - but I'd hate to see my face when there is a chance like that in a big game :)

That video sums up what it is to be a so called diddy team fan.  Motherwell only being 10 mile from Glasgow. I would say about 90% of the people i know are old firm fans. The scenes there is why you go to the football.  After watching Celtic beat us in the league cup final, i watched on as thousands left the park , not even staying to see their own team lift the cup.

I do not understand, and never will understand why Derek McInnes played the way he did - he seemed to try and outbattle us in the midfield.  That was never ever going to work.  I said before the game if Aberdeen could work the ball out to the shy line they would have us and if we kept it in the middle third we'd have them.  By them being so central it meant that Tait and Cadden got up the pitch more and we were able to buzz around in the middle third rather than the defensive one for most of the game.

Our finishing was good but none of the three goals were works of art and were all presented with a bow on them but if games that are attritional you first of all need to defend properly and really increase your chances of 0-0 then go for it later and we didn't need to do that due to the presents we were given.  Appreciate Aberdeen had a lot  of players out and they were all middle of the park type players but those tactics with those players was never going to work.  Only Greg Stewart who had Tait and Dunne on toast a few times came out of that game with any credit for Aberdeen in my book.  Ball and Arnasson  (who I really rate btw) were appalling and O'Connor wasn't much better.  THrow in that the creativity wasn't happening it couldn't have been any easier for us.  

As for us, we did what we do.  It isn't pretty but it's effective.  Thought Cadden was poor going forward but defensively he was superb and Tait and Dunne struggled with Stewart a few times but other than that our 11 were flawless.  Rose, Campbell and Grimshaw won so much in the midfield and what they didn't win they had the lock on so tight they  forced error after error from the Aberdeen middle players.

I get we were a bit lucky with the first goal - his arm was moving naturally but I think the way it moved towards the ball and the advantage he got, most referees would have penalised that if they saw it.  I've never understood why the AARs are at the same side as the ARs as that kind of incident is much more likely to be picked up there, not that I'm complaining this time....  Bowman was just stronger for the second goal and until McGinn came on, minus May's chance Aberdeen didn't threat at 0-2.  I felt Aberdeen were just beginning to turn the screw a bit when Arnasson had his moment that led to the third and that sucked all the remaining belief out of Aberdeen and from there on it was a canter.

Delighted to make it through, nothing would be sweeter than winning that cup whilst stopping the double treble at the same time.  And if we're right on it and they aren't, it isn't a ridiculous proposition.  Other than when we've had 10 men for 30 minutes at Hampden and the last 15 minutes in the 1-5 game in December, we've more or less matched them over four games this season, one 45 minutes a man light so us beating them while unlikely is not inconceivable.

Guest Bob Mahelp

We tried to take on Motherwell at their own game. Bizarre. 

Even with our pish awful replacements, we should have been concentrating on moving the ball around. Instead we were sucked into the type of long ball arm-wrestle that Motherwell love.

I realise that neither were 100% fit but it was a massive mistake not to start the game with either McGinn or GMS in the side. And if he didn't trust their fitness, why not take a gamble with Scott Wright on the wing ?

A series of self-inflicted disasters from beginning to end. I've rarely seen a football team have to do so little for a win as Motherwell yesterday. 

Well that was dreadful - semi final defeats are really tough to take but really gutted as we didn’t turn up.

I think yesterday showed that most of our players don’t have the bottle to be at our club - if only we had 11 Shinnie. We really did miss our top players yesterday.

Good luck to Motherwell in the final - watch them have a gutsy draw against Celtic when down to ten men and the next game destroy Rangers - play like that and their name could be on the cup.

Next 5 games for us is massive

COYR

What was the tribute to Arnason? Was there a song or a chant of his name because I missed it?

ETA: Sorry, that was supposed to be in response to Tarapoa's comment above but I made a mess of quoting it.

Motherwell fans did that Icelandic thing from the Euros.

I don’t think they have any players from that nation, so presumed it was a tribute to Kari’s assists for their goals yesterday

18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I don’t think they have any players from that nation, so presumed it was a tribute to Kari’s assists for their goals yesterday

I'd love to say that's a really good effort...but it's not.

Someone will still react though, so I should still say well done.

20 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

You might want to research where the Icelandic thing came from. Start with the Stjarnan vs Motherwell game....or have I been whooshed :)

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I assume you are at it, everyone knows the story

Some absolutely smelly defending from Aberdeen. For the first the lad who just stops should be fired immediately. A truly moronic and shitebag thing to do. As folk have said, always play to the whistle. Its' one of the first things you're taught when you start playing football.

The second is even worse. The big assist from the Aberdeen defender who slices it, then the other defender being easily outmuscled (possibly even going down easy to try and win a foul) capped off by the slowest ever attempt to stop the trundler going over the line, including that defender making the decision to not slide for it.

They saved the best for last though. Arnason touching the ball to the one place he shouldn't, then slipping and stumbling before his full arms and legs pumping attempts to catch the striker was great viewing. Deeply amusing.

Looked like Aberdeen were battered all over the park and were dominated by Motherwell. They had one or two chances going by the highlights, but then Motherwell also had other chances. 

Aberdeen should get that blue strip to f**k and invest in a shite brown one that they can not only wear for away games but also for big games, the big bed sheet despoiling fools they are.

Its' one of the first things you're taught when you start playing football.

Who’d have thought it? Baracus with an apostrophe error! This could be the end of days.

49 minutes ago, ropy said:

Watched the game back, I can definitely say Aberdeen are good at passing back to their keeper from 40 yards out

If you've still got access to the LC QF - it happened repeatedly that night too....

I am still absolutely buzzing haha. 

Before this season I’d been to 2 Motherwell cup finals in my life. This team have doubled that for me in one season.

It can’t be underestimated what an absolutely huge achievement this is from Motherwell. 

On 16/04/2018 at 13:00, DA Baracus said:

Some absolutely smelly defending from Aberdeen. For the first the lad who just stops should be fired immediately. A truly moronic and shitebag thing to do. As folk have said, always play to the whistle. Its' one of the first things you're taught when you start playing football.

The second is even worse. The big assist from the Aberdeen defender who slices it, then the other defender being easily outmuscled (possibly even going down easy to try and win a foul) capped off by the slowest ever attempt to stop the trundler going over the line, including that defender making the decision to not slide for it.

They saved the best for last though. Arnason touching the ball to the one place he shouldn't, then slipping and stumbling before his full arms and legs pumping attempts to catch the striker was great viewing. Deeply amusing.

Looked like Aberdeen were battered all over the park and were dominated by Motherwell. They had one or two chances going by the highlights, but then Motherwell also had other chances. 

Aberdeen should get that blue strip to f**k and invest in a shite brown one that they can not only wear for away games but also for big games, the big bed sheet despoiling fools they are.

Shut up. 

Archived