Scotland v Costa Rica 23rd March

2 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

Great to see the two Fulham midfielders getting a shot, both of which have been in excellent form the past two seasons.

McDonald is much more of a destroyer, but still tidy in possession and capable of driving box to box.

Cairney will be the one to watch, Fulham struggled when he wasn't in the team, but have picked up since his return from injury, he's got an eye for a pass, and should really be claiming the starting attacking midfielder role for Scotland.

If we continue with this formation, it'll be interesting to see who plays in the two behind the striker. Armstrong, Cairney, McGregor, Ritchie and perhaps Forrest and Fraser, will all be vying for it. 

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we continue with this formation, it'll be interesting to see who plays in the two behind the striker. Armstrong, Cairney, McGregor, Ritchie and perhaps Forrest and Fraser, will all be vying for it. 

It's just one behind the striker isn't it?

13 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

En masse I agree. I think the usual trouble makers in the English support will be nowhere near Russia. Like typical bullies they'll disappear like snow off a dyke and are more likely to go on cheapo holidays to Spain and cause aggro there where they have a lesser chance of getting their asses passed to them on a plate.

Theres also the fact that about 6000 of them have to hand their passport into a police station every time England play abroad.

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I personally rate Cairney much higher than any of them. His only real downside is he isn't the quickest, but his ability with the ball is second to none, and he's surprisingly physical.  His form and stats at Fulham speak for themselves, he'll be playing in the Premier League next season.

I personally rate Cairney much higher than any of them. His only real downside is he isn't the quickest, but his ability with the ball is second to none, and he's surprisingly physical.  His form and stats at Fulham speak for themselves, he'll be playing in the Premier League next season.

Callum McGregor is the best of the lot.

Just now, gc_smfc said:

Tbf he will but that doesn't mean he'll do particularly well.  Neat and tidy and playing with a lot of confidence just now but that's in the championship for a dominant team, it doesn't make him iniesta.

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Tbf he will but that doesn't mean he'll do particularly well.  Neat and tidy and playing with a lot of confidence just now but that's in the championship for a dominant team, it doesn't make him iniesta.

You really are a tedious c**t. 

Surprised at McGregor getting the start; I was expecting Archer and McLaughlin to get a game each.

No complaints with the rest of it beyond my usual Matt Ritchie hate, interested to see how Cairney and McDonald do.

Cairney isn't the quickest.  McDonald isn't the quickest.   McTominey isn't the quickest.   

I like all three of them, but the midfield mix would have been improved with the energy of McGinn, MacGregor, or Armstrong.   

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Is that not the same for McGregor and Armstrong, playing for the dominant team in their league...

Cairney is a much more balanced player than either of them. I hope he does well, he should have been called up long before now.

3 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

McLeish neglecting any pace or energy in the side whatsoever has depressed me a lot more than it should have

Worrying to be honest could be back to the old park the bus mentality let's try sneak a 1 nil win

Hayley McQueen looking particularly hot tonight!!!
Wee Faddy will be missing out in the pundits box tonight!!!

12 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

You really are a tedious c**t. 

You just don't know what you're talking about mate.   As you say cairney lacks pace, big weakness in the premiership.  I wouldn't expect he'll do very well, less time on the ball, his team will have less of the ball.  He never scores either.

You don't know what you're talking about so won't have noticed this so let me educate you a little, both he and Armstrong take too many touches of the ball to be real top players.  Armstrong probably two too many, cairney at least one.  They're not efficient enough or clever enough to excel at that level.  Turning it on against fkn Millwall is a lot different to being under constant pressure against Leicester or someone. 

That'swhy you need less touches.  Cairney requires four to do what a top player could do with two. Though in some intl games you'll get away with it as you get a little more time.

And big deal if he's in the premiership next season half our team is anyway.

Archived