Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Really enjoyed that. The in-stadium stuff didn't feel patronising and that first inning was genuinely incredible; I didn't think it would yield something I hadn't seen before. Obviously went on a bit too long but it was interesting throughout, the Red Sox weren't far from a comeback.

The pitching was awful throughout, and the outfielders seemed to be struggling to see things off the bat early on.

Only downside for me was everything went to the really expensive seats; giveaways, foul balls, competitions etc. I know they paid a fortune but the other areas of the stadium weren't cheap either!

Fcuk sake, this shite makes test cricket look interesting. I’ve been to two games in the USA, the Mariners at the old Kingdome, and the Blue Jays against the Rays in Toronto. I tuned into this as an NFL fan, and someone who travels to America two or three times a year, to give it another go.... but this has merely re-inforced the view I had after actually attending two games over there - utter, utter tedium. Mind numbing tedium. Fcuking BT Sport coverage at more than one point needed to major in on foot long hot dogs to make it interesting. 
I’ve tried, I really have, but this sport is complete shite. IMHO, naturally.
NFL sucks!!

I couldn't seriously describe myself as a baseball fan as I've hardly watched any in years but I went yesterday and enjoyed it, though wasn't fussed who won. Did find myself googling various records relating to high scores and length of game after that first innings...

It seemed to me like there was a higher proportion of Americans there than go to the NFL London games.

Prepared to cut them some slack on the £6.50 Heineken 330ml bottles as you could get served in your seat so didn't have to miss anything queuing or climb up and down stairs - and it is some hike if you're near the top! It was a bargaintastic £7.50ish for a pint if you were prepared to go to a bar.

I was unamused at being sold a ticket, without warning, for a seat with an obstructed view of the batter and first base due to the foul pole. But I was able to relocate to the unofficial back row so it wasn't a disaster.

I thought I liked Darren Fletcher as a commentator but when you listen carefully it's clear he's a total p***k.

Take himself far too seriously, and argues a point far too long in a 'I'll have the last word' kind of way.

Still, it's not spoiling my enjoyment. Cricket on the radio during the breaks as well, a nice break from the football.

I thought I liked Darren Fletcher as a commentator but when you listen carefully it's clear he's a total p***k.

Take himself far too seriously, and argues a point far too long in a 'I'll have the last word' kind of way.

Still, it's not spoiling my enjoyment. Cricket on the radio during the breaks as well, a nice break from the football.

Him and Jenas had me genuinely seething several times last season. An absolute war on silence

Gave this baseball a go and enjoyed it. Have only flirted with it before
It's a brilliantly technical game, that involves a social occasion as a viewer.

Like cricket, it ebbs and flows, but when it's good - it's absolutely brilliant.

Those were to very exciting ball games. They couldn't have asked for anymore.

It's a brilliantly technical game, that involves a social occasion as a viewer.

Like cricket, it ebbs and flows, but when it's good - it's absolutely brilliant.

Those were to very exciting ball games. They couldn't have asked for anymore.

Some competent pitching?

But yeah, what you said.

On 30/06/2019 at 17:38, pandarilla said:

Darren Fletcher (despite his claims to be a huge baseball fan) couldn't tell the difference between a fastball, a change-up, a cutter or a curve ball. All we got was ball or strike all night. Josh Chetwynd wasn't much better, total bore. That pair of useless tossers, along with the moronic Irish presenter, were a total waste of time . BT should have taken the Fox commentary instead.

Darren Fletcher (despite his claims to be a huge baseball fan) couldn't tell the difference between a fastball, a change-up, a cutter or a curve ball. All we got was ball or strike all night. Josh Chetwynd wasn't much better, total bore. That pair of useless tossers, along with the moronic Irish presenter, were a total waste of time . BT should have taken the Fox commentary instead.
I agree about the fox commentary. But I think you're being harsh on Fletcher for not recognising pitches.

I'm happy to call myself a baseball fan but I don't quite know the different pitches when watching live.

• 2 weeks later...

On what has been rather a ludicrous day of sport, the Tampa Bay Rays are on the verge of pitching the first ever combined perfect game in baseball against the hapless Orioles., who better get used to having the number one draft pick for a few years yet.

I agree about the fox commentary. But I think you're being harsh on Fletcher for not recognising pitches.

I'm happy to call myself a baseball fan but I don't quite know the different pitches when watching live.

Me too. I haven't a clue about the different pitches despite watching relatively often and attending Blue Jays games in the 90"s.

• 3 weeks later...