Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Padres have brought in Bob Melvin as manager from the A's.

Cardinals have promoted Oliver Marmol from bench coach to manger making him the younger manager currently in the league.  Marmol's been with team as a player & coach in their system since 2008.

Zac Scott has resigned as Mets GM due to an arrest for a DUI.

Cubs have opted for Carter Hawkins as GM from the Guardians where he was assistant GM.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Shout out to Terence Gore. Never called up  to the Braves in the regular season. Called up for the NLDS because he can run fast. Made one pinch runner appearance.
Left off the NLCS roster. Put back on the WS roster but never came off the bench. He now has a WS ring
Fair play

8 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Shout out to Terence Gore. Never called up  to the Braves in the regular season. Called up for the NLDS because he can run fast. Made one pinch runner appearance.

Left off the NLCS roster. Put back on the WS roster but never came off the bench. He now has a WS ring

For his home state team as well. That's dream-level stuff right there imo.

22 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

For his home state team as well. That's dream-level stuff right there imo.

Just looked up his stats, He was with KC in 2015 and was on the ALDS and ALCS roster but not the WS.

He was alson on the Dodgers roster in 2020. He was on the roster for the first 2 rounds (but never played) and was left off the roster for the final two rounds so despite barely playing in his Major league career he has 3 rings. Some boy

Edited by Wile E Coyote

I'm glad the Braves won although it's difficult to say they're the best team in baseball. About the guy Gore, I always thought players had to be on the roster at the end of August, before they expand them, to be eligible for the play-offs. Did they change the rules or did I imagine that?

3 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

I'm glad the Braves won although it's difficult to say they're the best team in baseball. About the guy Gore, I always thought players had to be on the roster at the end of August, before they expand them, to be eligible for the play-offs. Did they change the rules or did I imagine that?

You are correct but due to covid you had a "taxi" squad which i think was 9 players who you could use to replace players on your roster

18 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

You are correct but due to covid you had a "taxi" squad which i think was 9 players who you could use to replace players on your roster

They've changed to much the last couple of years, even beyond the covid changes. It's hard to keep up. 🙂

Buster Posey is retiring tomorrow. If the Hall of Fame is worth anything - and it isn’t - he’ll be a first ballot pick.   I went to his debut in 2010 in San Francisco, and he looked like he owned the place.  A brilliant career.  

• 4 weeks later...

Rangers going big with a 10 year $325 million deal for SS Corey Seager & 7 year $175 million deal for SS/2B Marcus Semien.

Mets add RHP Max Scherzer on a 3 year $130 million deal. The $43.3 million annual value breaks the league record which was the $36 million of the Yankees RHP Gerrit Cole. Four year $78 million deal for base stealing extrordinaire OF Starling Marte.

29 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Rangers going big with a 10 year $325 million deal for SS Corey Seager & 7 year $175 million deal for SS/2B Marcus Semien.

Mets add RHP Max Scherzer on a 3 year $130 million deal. The $43.3 million annual value breaks the league record which was the $36 million of the Yankees RHP Gerrit Cole. Four year $78 million deal for base stealing extrordinaire OF Starling Marte.

Some of those contracts are flat out insane.  That Seager deal will look awful when he’s 38.  Anything north of five years is a hell of a risk.

Japan, Korea & Taiwan finished up their seasons recently.

In the KBO Korean Series the KT Wiz swept the Doosan Bears 4-0 to win their first ever series since joining the league in 2015. IF Park Kyung-Su of the Wiz won series MVP.

In the NPB Japan Series the Tokyo Yakult Swallows beat the Orix Buffaloes 4-2 to win their 6th series & first since 2001. C Yuhei Nakamura of the Swallows won series MVP. The FSA (Fighting Spirit Award) awarded to the best player on the losing team was won by the Buffaloes P Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

In the CPBL Taiwan Series which finished earlier today the CTBC Brothers swept the Uni-President Lions 4-0 to win their 8th series & first since 2010. This was the first season since 2008 with more than four teams with the return of the Wei Chuan Dragons who had previously been in the league 90-99 before folding in what was a surprise move at the time given the team had won four series during their 10 seasons in the league.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
3 hours ago, placidcasual said:
There's your shutdown then. Weird side effect as mlb have removed any images of current players from their site and app emoji23.png

They should do the old PES/ISS thing & use fake names

Matt Scherzar

Klayton Cershaw 

corey Siegar

• 1 month later...

A's destination if they move is current pro sports hot spot Las Vegas which since 2017 has went from 0 major league teams to 3 with the city also being the primary candidate for MLS team number 30. The city currently has a baseball presence in the A's AAA affiliate the Las Vegas Aviators.

On 09/01/2022 at 15:25, GNU_Linux said:

A's destination if they move is current pro sports hot spot Las Vegas which since 2017 has went from 0 major league teams to 3 with the city also being the primary candidate for MLS team number 30. The city currently has a baseball presence in the A's AAA affiliate the Las Vegas Aviators.

The Mets' triple A team played out of Vegas for a while. Some kind of alien name from memory.

I'm sure I read that the A's had sorted their differences out with the city and were remaining as is for now.

Just now, placidcasual said:

The Mets' triple A team played out of Vegas for a while. Some kind of alien name from memory.

I'm sure I read that the A's had sorted their differences out with the city and were remaining as is for now.

Mets were affiliated with the Aviators 2013-2018 under their previous name of the Las Vegas 51s which is a nod to Area 51.