Morton v Dumbarton - Tuesday night

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how we now look alright going forward and utterly chaotic defensively.

As OKI said I actually didnt even feel surprised when the winner went in. For some reason we just felt a bit relegationy tonight.

Need to get my breath back, but that was wonderful in the end up! 

Dumbarton as usual well set up and we found it difficult to break them down. 

After going a goal down Gary Fraser pops up and puts us back in it. He looks a player but is seriously short of match fitness after being out for such a long time.

Then Baird scores a beauty to put us ahead. We could have increased our lead and put the game to bed when we had at least 4 players all on their own. Doyle slips a lovely pass inside just at the right moment and it falls to McHugh who somehow sky's it over the bar with only the keeper to beat -  a really bad miss I have to say.

Down at the other end a speculative shot from outside the box takes a wicked deflection past our helpless keeper. You then think that's it, but literally in the dying seconds we're back in the Dumbarton box and their keep parries a shot right into the direction of Jack Iredale who makes no mistake and slams the ball into the net - cue incredible scenes! 

Harkins didn't get on the score sheet but what incredible skill that guy has, absolute brilliance at times.

I also don't understand why people were upset at Tidser going off as he was pretty poor tonight. A night when you're looking at class players like him to put in a performance and it just didn't happen - rightly subbed.

Anyway our slim playoff hopes are still alive!   

Couple of things from tonight as I can't be bothered writing a lot:

Liam Burt is a better option than Tom Walsh, who just was not at it tonight. Missed a great chance, couldn't get his crossing right and even his touch was off.

Liam Dick (and here's something I didn't think I'd be saying) is our best option at RB when Sam Wardrop is unavailable. We lost our defensive shape when he went off.

I don't really get Danny Handling. He scored a lovely goal tonight, but that aside was poor. Slipped at a crucial time for the second, and seemed really easily muscled off the ball countless times. I've no idea if Froxy is injured or not, but he's more effective than Handling going forward and less of a luxury defensively. 

Well done to the Ton, and (through gritted teeth) I'm pleased for Jack Iredale. Not only did I have him in my TOTS a few weeks back, he also seems like a good lad. Nice to see Baird getting his radar in before joining us in the summer too. He should bang them in, in League One.

Strange one that.we had a lot of what I would describe as ordinary individual performances but we're actually that bad as ateam

goals we lost were really poor and .

as so8 says have found knack to score  but haven't shut the back door.

overall ertainly better than we were 2 weeks ago  

11 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Couple of things from tonight as I can't be bothered writing a lot:

Liam Burt is a better option than Tom Walsh, who just was not at it tonight. Missed a great chance, couldn't get his crossing right and even his touch was off.

Liam Dick (and here's something I didn't think I'd be saying) is our best option at RB when Sam Wardrop is unavailable. We lost our defensive shape when he went off.

I don't really get Danny Handling. He scored a lovely goal tonight, but that aside was poor. Slipped at a crucial time for the second, and seemed really easily muscled off the ball countless times. I've no idea if Froxy is injured or not, but he's more effective than Handling going forward and less of a luxury defensively. 

Well done to the Ton, and (through gritted teeth) I'm pleased for Jack Iredale. Not only did I have him in my TOTS a few weeks back, he also seems like a good lad. Nice to see Baird getting his radar in before joining us in the summer too. He should bang them in, in League One.

I honestly don't believe Dumbarton will go down.  

Tidser and Harkins as a midfield 2 does not work... how many fucking times?!

Tidser was honking and was deservedly hooked off. Tiff made a difference when he came on.

McHugh will be a very relieved man and certainly owes Iredale for bailing him out. That was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever seen. 

We really could do with getting some more defenders fit for the play offs. We suddenly look okay going forward and have scored 5 in the last couple of matches. But we also lost 5 in those games. I know the teams in the play offs will maybe not have the same quality to unlock us but we're hardly making it difficult right now.

Factor in the the team(s) we will play will be full of confidence in comparison to our deflated squad - unless we can pick up a few more points in the last 4 matches.

Archived